Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #61
Thin man

Re: What is up with this spearfishing closure at Biscayne National Park?

Yeah, I got an email from NPS stating the same. The biggest change will be the marine reserve zone proposed in Alternative 4 of the most recent proposals. The Herald article uses a quote at the end in which the interviewed speaks about a bleaching event and there is nothing in the plan to account for water discharge, only fishing/anchoring. It looks to me like emotional people making decisions that lack the complete backing of science. While I understand making reserves within a national park to maintain its integrity, I would like to see the policy makers working to change all of the contributing factors and not simply one factor. The Dry Tortugas is often cited as an example of what can happen through reserves, but it doesn't have the same urban sprawl as a neighbor affecting water quality as Biscayne does.
That's just little ol' me....it's government so it will probably take a couple years for any actual changes to be made.
Thin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #62
Thin man

Might this topic have life once again?

https://myfwc.com/news/all-news/cm-biscayne-workshops/

FWC to host workshops on Biscayne National Park fishing regulations
Media contact: Amanda Nalley, 850-404-6100 or Amanda.Nalley@MyFWC.com
Release Date: 07-18-2019
All Articles
Tags:
Fishing Saltwater Regulations Commission
At its July meeting in Stuart, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) received an update on the current status and future fisheries management in Biscayne National Park.

FWC staff will host several public workshops to gather input on potential rule changes for fishing in Biscayne National Park and will return with a draft rule package at the October 2019 Commission meeting.

Public workshops will be scheduled for the following dates and locations (all workshops start at 6 p.m. local time):

6: Coral Gables, Newman Alumni Center, University of Miami, 6200 San Amaro Drive.
7: Florida City, City Hall, 404 W. Palm Drive.
8: Key Largo, Murray E. Nelson Government Center, 102050 Overseas Highway.
Staff will also work with Biscayne National Park to develop and finalize a new Memorandum of Understanding relating to managing and monitoring the fishery resources within the park.

To provide online comments on items related to Biscayne National Park, visit MyFWC.com/SaltwaterComments.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #63
Marco

This is today guys!

Who's going to Coral Gables? If we don't go, they'll ban spearfishing in Key Biscayne!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1565097646551.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	243686  

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #64
stillinscrubs

Of course they schedule these “work shops” on my work days!!!!

Hope lots of people get out there and make some noise, I just found out about this today.
stillinscrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #65
Marco

I'll be there. We need a bunch of divers there to make noise.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #66
HurricaneBK

Good to see a lot of other spearos at the meeting last night, hopefully even more show up tonight.

The panel, and Biscayne National Park staff especially, seemed at a loss when it came to explaining why they wanted to ban trigger mechanisms in the park while spearos only comprise about 14% of the consumptive users.

In thinking about it a little more, the comment by one of the scientists on the panel about how a ban on trigger mechanisms/Scuba was a "compromise" favored by FWC makes more sense now than it did then.

For us it's a poor compromise, but I suspect that BNP would like to see spearfishing completely eliminated in the park, as it is in Everglades National Park and Dry Tortugas National Park which they cited frequently, likewise in Pennekamp. The FWC, in the interest of protecting fisherman's interests, offered the compromise plan of no trigger mechanisms or spearfishing on scuba which made its way on to the current agenda.

Also interesting, and a disconcerting, was the vocal minority who was in favor of establishing a marine protected area within the park - something that wasn't even on the current agenda.

If you didn't attend or want to offer additional comments you can do so at

https://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/...blic-comments/

Just select Biscayne National Park as the topic.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #67
Thin man

Thanks for picking up the flag and going to the meetings fellas. I wasn't able to make the florida city meeting but I will at least submit my comments on the website. Maybe there will be enough resistance to stop the train from pushing spearos out of the park.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #68
HurricaneBK

Does anyone have an update on this? It seemed from the meeting I attended there was strong opposition to the spearfishing regulation that was proposed but I'm curious about a couple of the other ones as well. Is there another opportunity to provide input or were the meetings and online comments it?
Old 10-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #69
Marco

Just got this email from them:

You attended a Biscayne National Park workshop on proposed fisheries regulations in August 2019 or commented online at MyFWC.com/SaltwaterComments.

FWC logo

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is holding another round of public workshops on this topic in a couple weeks. At the upcoming workshops, FWC staff will present a series of updated proposed fishing regulations for Biscayne National Park that incorporate feedback received during the August workshops, other public input received since that time, and direction from the FWC Commissioners received at the October 2019 Commission meeting.

We would love to get your feedback on the modified proposal and hope you can join us for these workshops, which are scheduled for Oct. 28, 29, and 30. Please see further info below.

Biscayne National Park Fisheries Regulations Workshops

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) needs your input on Biscayne National Park fisheries management regulations. The FWC is hosting three public workshops near Biscayne National Park. Learn more about the proposed fisheries regulations and share your input by attending one of these workshops.

Workshops will begin at 6 p.m. local time:

Oct. 28: Murray Nelson Government Center, 102050 Overseas Highway, Key Largo

Oct. 29: UF/IFAS Extension Miami-Dade County, 18710 SW 288th Street, Homestead

Oct. 30: James L. Knight Center, 400 SE 2nd Avenue, Miami

If you can’t attend an in-person workshop, you may submit comments online by visiting

MyFWC.com/SaltwaterComments .

Old 10-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #70
HurricaneBK

From the summary of the commission's October meeting it looks like they did away with the proposal to ban spearguns. Absent also is the 100 baitfish limit and the changes to stone crab bag limits.

Whether they just didn't include these in the topics for the upcoming meetings or they've dropped them as proposals remains to be seen. Looks like they still want to ban spearfishing on scuba though.

https://myfwc.com/media/21684/5a-smemo-bnp.pdf