Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2004 Tournament Archives > Spearboard Open Archives 2004 > Spearboard Open Results

Spearboard Open Results Check here for the 2004 Spearboard Open Results

Old 05-25-2004, 07:58 AM   #31
snooker
Wearer of the Man-kini!!

Send a message via AIM to snooker
I agree, it was a little aggravating going out and having boats all over the place. But I'm sure we're not the only ones to have boats on our spots. It's how you handle the adversity.

It was a good turn-out and was glad to see the weather cooperated as well.
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:59 AM   #32
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Multiple day tournaments, or rodeos as they call them up in LA & AL, last as long as 3.5 dive days. They solve the questions of diving early, outside of the rules, and fit in with many charter boat schedules. They give inshore and offshore divers another day to go to plan B sites, such as the bay & shallow artificials for the other categories. Less hook & line weekend warrior traffic, and safer diving again by taking away the time limit pressure. A bigger weather window to avoid cancellations due to high seas or poor visibility.

*If a diver can't take a Friday off for the SBO, one of the Worlds Greatest Open Spearfishing Tournaments... it's just not important enough to him/her!
Ya gotta get dem priorities straight in life!

How's this 2.5 day schedule look?

Thurs PM: Captains meeting, optional. Tournament opens.
Fri: Dive, dive, dive.
Sat: Dive, dive, dive.
Sun AM: Dive. Weigh-in opens at 9am & closes at noon.
Sun PM: Dive displays, nice background music, lunch and drinks, kids games: (Is the triggerfish toss too diss-ing? How about beat the prizes out of the Goliath? Pin the PH on the man in the gray suit?) Sounds like fun for adults too?
Awards and prize picks.

My $.02

The 2004 SBO set a precedent of excellence!!

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:12 AM   #33
WreckDiver
Memeber What?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chad Carney
kids games: (Is the triggerfish toss too diss-ing?

Chad

I did not think anyone say my boy doing that pictures to follow later.
WreckDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:41 AM   #34
liberty hound

Chad, I agree. taking a day off is not a problem.
I took three days off for the sbo.
Even on most of the everyday dive trips, someone on the boat has took the day off.
Saftey is also an issue. After I dropped the jug on one of the small ledges I like, It was like a magnet for the other boats in the area to come over and start trolling, (and yes we had the flag up)
liberty hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 06:29 PM   #35
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

HHHMMMNNNNN..if you give them big ol' slow boats two days to shoot fish in places they can't get to in one day..................well, it would get real interesting!!!

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:06 PM   #36
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Dan,

Congratulations! Very nice fish.

You could have gone a day early this time, and just not shot for the tournament until Sat morning.
Some boats did, and I heard that at least one of them even showed the fish they did not turn in. Another boat did the same in a Key West tournament last year and also was above board about it.
That kind of honor is refreshing to see, but not the norm unfortunately. I think it would make it less tempting to cheat by making the rules fit the desire.

While we're talking about changes, let me run this one by the board.

Change the grouper limit to only two.
Yeah it fits the FL east coast limit, and that's convenient too, but that's not my reasoning.
Change all of the categories to only two fish, (Except AJ/cobia).
In the St Pete Open we rarely shoot more than 4 to 6 fish per diver all day, because we're only looking for trophy fish. One good one for each category we're shooting in.
Aggregate tournaments compell divers to shoot fish they may normally pass up. I know I felt that way this time.
Look up the word aggregate and you'll see the word MASS referenced many times.

I had a lousy day and still bagged 4 snapper, 1 triggerfish, 2 grouper, 1 hog, and 1 AJ. 9 fish total. I lost about 4 fish also, like I said, a lousy day.
My first snapper was the biggest, so in the SPO I would not have shot another unless it was bigger or at least a fish I could be proud to shoot. I past up some legal grouper, hogs and triggers because they were too puny! They all would have raised my score, but I didn't want to shoot small fish to accomplish that end.

Freediving tournaments are even worse with their 20 fish limits.

I don't think we need fish volume to show who the best shooters are. In fact waisting time on small fish can detract from getting the fish of a life time!

Hmmm?

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida

Last edited by Chad Carney; 05-25-2004 at 09:09 PM.
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #37
diligaf

Chad,

The format of a multi-day tournament strongly favors larger boats w/cabins that can carry more tanks, fuel, etc. Most of the contestants are on smaller boats that cannot be out for two days at a time. Others that travel from other areas to dive would also be forced to take two days off work. So in the end… you would probably have far fewer contestants.

This year’s format was excellent. Three fish per category requires more skill and strategy. I know some on the east coast don’t like the three grouper rule… but the East coast groupers are on average larger… this also must be taken into planning for east coasters and they may decide to go for the larger fish or travel over to the Gulf and compete.

The only thing I would consider changing is making the sheapshead/trigger category double points for either species or neither species.

Just my thoughts,

Dave
diligaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:21 PM   #38
Jaizzen
Team HeadHunter

Changing the Format.

I believe that this years format was outstanding. The playing fields were pretty even, as the weigh-in showed. People from different geographical locations shot and placed high in the rankings, this impressed me. I appreciate the fact that this format is different than other tourneys (in my opinion, they shouldn't all be the same ).

As for quantites of fish, I shot no more than I would on a regular basis, I'd actually say that the tourney made me shoot less due to the fact that I was trying to hunt various species to fill my card.

I took Friday off to go out on the water and scout with the Holy Spear-It, and did'nt weigh those fish shot on Friday as I hoped all others who read the rules would do the same.

I ended up short an AJ on Saturday, but was beating the 40lbers off of me with the butt of my gun on Friday. Had this been a two dayer, I'd have added that 35 to 40lb AJ along with the 19.01lb hog that I shot on Friday that didn't weigh in to my total therefore increasing the total amount of fish taken for weigh-in at the tourney. I believe that a smaller tournament window is more likely to reduce the total number of fish taken. Besides, alot of people take charters for this and other tournaments. People who pay for middle grounds or offshore charters are going to try to shoot their fair share of fish outside of trying to place in the tournamnet anyway. I know that there are some charter boat captains out there that understand this.
As for dishonesty at the weigh-in, changing the format to a two day format is just going to cause those who will cheat to hunt on Thursday to obtain the same advantage.

This is just my opinion, Hope next years tourney was as good as this one.

Jason
Old 05-25-2004, 11:24 PM   #39
ROCK BOTTOM

Just show me where I can find a hogfish in my area and I might be willing to listen to your argument. I thought the tournament went pretty well and don't think it needs any changes. And, if your solution is to just "travel over to the Gulf and compete", then you probably should stay in Pompano Beach and be a non-competitor. If you look at the results of the SBO, then you will see that skilled divers from three different geographical areas were in competition for the major prizes.

Also, the multi day format just makes it that much better! Two weeks from now is the Hell Divers Rodeo, FOUR days of shooting. Three solid days of offshore diving means I can cover a lot of territory to find the big fish. And, I guarantee that the morning of our weigh-in, Ralph Luther, a retired Hell Diver, will be swimming the sea wall in Lake Pontchartrain for sheepshead, looking for a big one to win the category and four others to compete for the five-fish sheepshead stringer category.

Now I am not saying that four days would suit the SBO, but surely a second day wouldn't be bad.

Zz
You got to move your ass."

The Radiators
ROCK BOTTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:22 AM   #40
Jaizzen
Team HeadHunter

Rock Bottom,

I wouldnt object to a second day in the Open, I'm just simply responding to Chad concerning reducing the number of fish taken for scoring. I'm from Baton Rouge, but now live here on the FL Gulf Coast. I'm used to large quantity fish tourneys at home, but here in Floirda, it's a bit different as there is greater pressure on the fisheries and oposition from Activist Groups. Chad was stating that he wouldnt mind reducing the number of fish taken but extend the tourney by another day. I understand where he is coming from but I feel that it would only increase the total number of fish taken here for the reasons I stated in the last post.

Would'nt mind seeing the second day in the tourney, it would have helped me this year! It would allow the guys who have to travel more time to get here.

As for the sheepshead rule, I think it balanced the regions, just look at the top 50.

I'll say it again, this is just my opinion, Hope next years tourney was as good as this one.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:52 AM   #41
f94gator

Personally, I'd rather revel in the success of the past SBO than debate the merits of different formats for next year's. We've got a lot of time to worry about that.
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:40 AM   #42
diligaf

Quote:
Originally posted by ROCK BOTTOM
And, if your solution is to just "travel over to the Gulf and compete", then you probably should stay in Pompano Beach and be a non-competitor.

Zz
Huh??? I'm not sure what you mean by this, but maybe I should explain what I meant a little better.

Many people have trailerable boats and can dive on either coast. Others take charters and may choose to dive a different area. The current rules add to the planning and decisions of these divers... it has nothing to do with staying home and being a non-competitor.

Last edited by diligaf; 05-26-2004 at 06:42 AM.
diligaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:43 AM   #43
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Scott has reduced the bag limits for each category and raised the size limits on each species. There is not much more you can do from a public relations/enviromental standpoint. I think the current sizes and bag limits are perfect. There was well rounded placements from shooters in all the geograhpical areas. I do favor the 2 day idea though.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:32 AM   #44
RichT

After taking an informal poll of a few friends I believe that extending the tournament by another day would see far fewer competitors.
MOST people have to balance work,kids and family along with diving.
There are already 3 major tournaments in West Central Florida along with three minor tournaments.
MOST people dont have enough tanks for two days of diving.
And finnally, WHY FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN!!!
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:47 AM   #45
Spearooo

untrue

Chad What you said was untrue. The format cuased me to shot much less fish than I normally would on an MG charter, After I had my three snappers I passed on litteraly hundred of 4 and 5 lbs mangos that i would have blasted on any other day in hopes of getting my trophy sheepie or trigger, the same goes for Gags, After getting my 3 I stopped even stalking any fish close to the size of the ones I weighed in hopes of not missing a shot at a monster convict fish. Granted if the fish was clearly an upgrade or I was in a bad mood id take it but the claim that the formatt causes people to shot more fish, is BS. If you are looking for ways of shooting more fish read fncladvrs post: Strategy, Strategy, Strategy. makes a big diffrence.
Besides the format you suggested would most likyle just double all the points of of those on big boats, ( Headhunter would ett 280+ points) So youd be just as hard pressed to blow us away with your monster trophy fish...
THe Formatt was great.....
Spearooo is offline   Reply With Quote