Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
freediverkid21
Gotta love the Coral Sea!

Big Fish Pole Spear- Henley or Manny Puig?

Im planning on spending some time in the bahamas soon and i want a pole spear for bigger fish like Grouper. the question is, is the henley really worth the 75.00 more than the already pricey Manny puig polespear? Have any of you used both? Pros and cons of each? thanks
freediverkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
florfreediver

Re: Big Fish Pole Spear- Henley or Manny Puig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverkid21 View Post
Im planning on spending some time in the bahamas soon and i want a pole spear for bigger fish like Grouper. the question is, is the henley really worth the 75.00 more than the already pricey Manny puig polespear? Have any of you used both? Pros and cons of each? thanks
Hi fdk21,
Both really fine polespears but they really are around the same price. To say the Henley is $75 more is not comparing apples to apples.

If you buy the Henley without the fancy canvas carry case, they should retail at approximately the same price of a Manny Puig (no case)

Mike.
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
hardway
Aaron

Check out Crist Spears @

http://members.cox.net/azspearo/

His spears are very well built and reasonably priced, and hit the fish like a ton of bricks! Get the 18" shaft with the 3" flopper for the big dogs. email him for his latest prices, he has outstanding deals right now.
hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
OceanEd

Both the Henley and the Puig are great pole spears. The Henley comes with a slip tip and you really do not want to be using a slip tip in many situations down in the Bahamas. You are much better off with a spinning rock tip with twin barbs.

If you get the Puig it is a must that you buy at least one extra shaft for the front end. All my friends who have used the Puig for big fish in the Bahamas are bending the shaft repetedly and say a spare one is a must.

I just returned from 4 months in the Bahamas, spearing with different poles. I had one of Aaron Crist's pole spear with me and it was pretty much indestructable and I thought it was really great. It uses a replacable front shaft like a Puig, but shorter. I do not think you could go wrong with a Crist in the Bahamas.

Mike:

Do you also carry Aaron's pole spear?
OceanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
kitespearo
KITESPEARO

Send a message via MSN to kitespearo

Just get the plain old yellow polespear...they work great and are cheap.
kitespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Tedbudion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanEd View Post
I had one of Aaron Crist's pole spear with me and it was pretty much indestructable and I thought it was really great. It uses a replacable front shaft like a Puig, but shorter.
Hey Ed, I presume you've the one with the 12" shaft, don't you? What kind of rubbers did it come with? TIA
Tedbudion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
StickODynamite!

Send a message via Skype™ to StickODynamite!

The Ray Odor travel spear should be mentioned $60 w/ shipping. Ray has taken a 72lb Cubera Snapper with his design and the pole is capable of supporting this weight out of the water as well. Picture at the link below...

http://www.spearfishing.cc/Pole%20Spears.htm
Old 03-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
OceanEd

TedBunion:

To be honest, I don't remember what rubber it came with. I usually change them out for my own. If Aaron is following this, maybe he can chime in.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

TedBunion:
My spears come with 1/2" rubber x 1/4" ID hole. Stephan(OceanED) Uses 1/2" rubber with 1/8" ID hole that is typically used for spearguns.

The draw weight on my spears with the normal sling is 30-45 ft/lbs and with the extra power sling it runs 45-60ft-lbs. And the later being overkill. At 60ft/lbs the spear will go through a 25# Sheephead gill plate to gill plate and the pole it self will be sticking in the fish as well.

I would be curious to know what's the draw weight and draw length of OceanEd's polespears?

I supply my spears with a 12" or 18" shaft. They can be made with 2" or 3" flopper, 6mm or 5/16"-24 thread.
I can make any length shaft with flopper up to 72"
Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

i owned a henley and sold it and bought a manny.. then sold that i dislike both there slow even when i put a 16mm band on it.. i like the yellow fiberglass ones... even then i prefer slings over every one of the above.. ive only lost one shaft (to a 40lb cubera) if you have to replace there shafts anyways.
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
OceanEd

GrouperDude:

I think that the problem with a lot of pole spears is that they come with bands that can be underpowered for the potential of the pole spear. That is why I always change them out for my own. It is a delicate thing to find the right length of rubber and the proper diameter of rubber. It really is different for not only each type of pole spear because of the pole's lenght/diameter/weight, but it also depends of the strength of the user to pull the band and then be able to hold it "cocked" for a length of time. Another factor is how long you make the rubber because this determines how far up the pole you are cocking it and the length of pole that will be sticking out in front of your cocking hand (more important than you might think). If you take the time to experiment with these factors and get it right, the pole spears such as the Aaron Christ and the Henley, and the Manny Puig can be awsome hunting weapons. Of the three, I really like Aaron's the best.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #12
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

i had a 2ft 16mm band on the thing and it still wasnt fast enough for me.. streching and holding that band was no easy feat belive me
Old 03-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #13
seahunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouperdude View Post
i owned a henley and sold it and bought a manny.. then sold that i dislike both there slow even when i put a 16mm band on it.. i like the yellow fiberglass ones... even then i prefer slings over every one of the above.. ive only lost one shaft (to a 40lb cubera) if you have to replace there shafts anyways.
Ditto. All you're missing is to put a shooting line on the shaft.

seahunter49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

iv been thinking about it just never actually put a line on the sling.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
seahunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouperdude View Post
iv been thinking about it just never actually put a line on the sling.
Don't spend your life like that, you know, thinking about it but never actually doing it.. You'll end up dying never having gotten laid.
seahunter49 is offline   Reply With Quote