Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #16
Spinal Tap

Re: Best Spearfishing knife?

Bill,

That's the same knife made for Mori and Riffe.

Nate
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #17
Bill McIntyre

So I heard.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #18
Edwin Ortiz
montaukfreediver

Hi,
I have Rife knives and both cases are broken .
Where can I buy just the case, without going to Riffe.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:40 PM   #19
bmdiver
Iron Lungs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Ortiz
Hi,
I have Rife knives and both cases are broken .
Where can I buy just the case, without going to Riffe.
thats a good point the cases are made of plastic, i want something thats not going to break. my dad has a nice ovean reef knife, it has a metal slide in case. the only thing about the knife i dont like is the handle is the thin metal type, it can sometimes be hard to handle with 7mm gloves on.

does anyone know of a knife with a metal slide in case with a plastic or rubber modled handle?

-brian
bmdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #20
brandon cadalzo

I'm a huge fan of spyderco aquasalt in plain edge. In my experience dive knives just don't come scary sharp out of the box. In my opinion this is dangerous and you may need that sharpness to save your life. I was using the salvimar st blade and that was the sharpest dive knife I had previously used. A couple weeks ago I became entangled by some pretty thick mono and thought to myself "no need to worry I will just cut it with my knife" that proved to be the biggest hassle as the blade just didnt cut the mustard. It took quite a. It to get through the thick mono. Sure it's great at raining fish but so is the pointy end of my stringer. I needed a tool that could step up and save my life quickly and without hesitation. That's when I made the decision to buy spyderco's Atlantic salt in plain edge. Out of the box it is scary sharp. The grip is heavily textured so it pretty much stays where it should, in your hand. Also there is a nice thumb ramp so you don't have to worry about your hand slipping up the blade. The blade is made from h1 steel which is nice since the blade won't rust. From what I here this type of steel holds an edge pretty well and can also be sharpened with ease. The sheath is also a bonus. The knife locks in place by friction very nicely. There is no way it will shake itself loose.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:15 PM   #21
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon cadalzo View Post
I'm a huge fan of spyderco aquasalt in plain edge. In my experience dive knives just don't come scary sharp out of the box. In my opinion this is dangerous and you may need that sharpness to save your life. I was using the salvimar st blade and that was the sharpest dive knife I had previously used. A couple weeks ago I became entangled by some pretty thick mono and thought to myself "no need to worry I will just cut it with my knife" that proved to be the biggest hassle as the blade just didnt cut the mustard. It took quite a. It to get through the thick mono. Sure it's great at raining fish but so is the pointy end of my stringer. I needed a tool that could step up and save my life quickly and without hesitation. That's when I made the decision to buy spyderco's Atlantic salt in plain edge. Out of the box it is scary sharp. The grip is heavily textured so it pretty much stays where it should, in your hand. Also there is a nice thumb ramp so you don't have to worry about your hand slipping up the blade. The blade is made from h1 steel which is nice since the blade won't rust. From what I here this type of steel holds an edge pretty well and can also be sharpened with ease. The sheath is also a bonus. The knife locks in place by friction very nicely. There is no way it will shake itself loose.
This is actually a great point and something I've been thinking about lately. I've been using the salvimar knife for a while, and it's great and *sharp* for a dive knife... but I'm honestly not sure it would cut the dyneema shooting line that I use as comfortably as I'd like in an emergency. I've tried to find a convenient way to sharpen dive knifes, but the blades tend to be too thick for pull through sharpeners, and I just don't have the time to get good with stones. Having a truly sharp H1 blade from a reputable knife manufacturer is actually a great idea.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:41 PM   #22
brandon cadalzo

I have my knives sharpened professionally and I gave my dive knife to the sharpening guy to give it a try. He told me that it's basically cheap steel and will require constant sharpening. He also recommended re profiling the blade to be more shallow as to allow for easier cutting. The way it comes out of the box is ground roughly to the angle of a hatchet. Definetly not conducive to slicing tasks. The spyderco is just a dream to work with. I have even cleaned my fish with it. Absolutely love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #23
Dr.P

Quote:
I have my knives sharpened professionally and I gave my dive knife to the sharpening guy to give it a try. He told me that it's basically cheap steel and will require constant sharpening. He also recommended re profiling the blade to be more shallow as to allow for easier cutting. The way it comes out of the box is ground roughly to the angle of a hatchet. Definetly not conducive to slicing tasks. The spyderco is just a dream to work with. I have even cleaned my fish with it. Absolutely love it

Sounds about right. Well, I always have 2 dive knives on me, I may mix either the rock salt or sea salt in and see how it goes.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #24
brandon cadalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
Sounds about right. Well, I always have 2 dive knives on me, I may mix either the rock salt or sea salt in and see how it goes.

Stick with the aqua salt. Perfect size. The rock salt is meant to be a camp knife. It's like Rambo sized lol.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #25
Dr.P

Quote:
Stick with the aqua salt. Perfect size. The rock salt is meant to be a camp knife. It's like Rambo sized lol.

Gaa ok. I thought it was only like an inch longer for some reason. The aqua salt is like a 6" blade, as I recall?
Old 11-24-2016, 10:20 PM   #26
brandon cadalzo

Best Spearfishing knife?

Aquasalt blade is about 5" and overall length is about 9" the rock salt overall length is just about 13". A little to big for my liking.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #27
brandon cadalzo

Plus the blade geometry of the rock is not really meant for spearfishing. It's weighted heavily towards the tip lending itself more towards camp tasks like light chopping etc...

Old 11-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #28
humpinit

I used this knife for years.
https://www.amazon.com/Fury-Tactical...ds=fury+knifes
If you scuba it comes with parts that attach to you power inflator hose. If you freedive you can strap it to your belt or leg. Great knife til I lost it. Then I got the mako and lost it on the first trip. So I use the mako sheath with a $5 bait knife.
humpinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #29
clambake 50

everyone tells me cheapos are the way to go, since you always lose them
clambake 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #30
brandon cadalzo

Best Spearfishing knife?

Never once lost a knife in over 1,000 dives on scuba and countless others Freediving.