Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
NHspearguy

La Jolla reports...

Anyone been out lately?

I used to live In SoCal for almost a decade, and then had to move to the East Coast. Work is sending me back out for two months and I’m hoping to put some fish on the table. As far as shore diving in the San Diego area is really the only place I know, has anybody been out how’s the water? Any help appreciated, this forum has always been great for Spearos helping Spearos
NHspearguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
Lukebiker

Re: La Jolla reports...

Did the Cove to the Shores swim on Sunday and it was about 20’ vis around the cove proper but down to 10’ at the Shores. Lots of life also
Lukebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #3
NHspearguy

Thanks Bro,
i went to Pt Loma and it was milky as all get out with a thermo cline at about 20-25. Under it the vis opened from 5-10 out to about 20-25 but icy. But thinking about trying to hit up LJ this week sometime.

If anyone sees this and wants to go shoot me a PM
Old 08-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
biglimit

Vis has been marginal, 10+ vis down to about 15ft then 3-5ft vis. I was out the last 3 days trying to time it right with the tide and that muck layer won't leave.
biglimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #5
Bob Ballew

Today, the water vis is reported to be blue?...water temps jump from 64 in some areas to 71 at the kelp. It is a take your chances situation and go for it at present. Suggest checking Tempbreak for that area, looking at the one and three day reports for chlorophyl conditions...Blue is good, green is plankton in the water...try for an early incoming high tide for the best vis possible....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 08-16-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #6
NHspearguy

Thanks to all. the LJ dive report used to be one of the best threads on here and it apparently died this year. the advice is appreciated. Cardiff is blue and clear right now around the reef area. Gonna try it tomorrow and see what it yields