Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-21-2019, 04:54 AM   #1
geronimopro

Back to drag from freespooling

Just a quick one to see if anyone can help. Have a modified Pathos Pro(bought2nd hand and tuned) and turns out the guns absolutely perfect for a spot of reef fishing and the occasional shot at aj's and other larger pelagic species. But......the free spooling reel is driving my crazy. Most of the reef catches are no more than 10lbs meaning the shaft regularly goes through them entirely. After that, the shaft just pulls on the free spooling reel and more often than not ends up snagged on the reef below and the fish dangling up and down the mono without possibility of retrieving it unless l dive straight back down again.
Any drag operated reels that fit this gun? Absolutely love Rob Allen reels, not too expensive and simple to use.
Long story for a quick question, apologies
Thanks!!
Diy of how to slow down the reel would do just fine too

Last edited by geronimopro; 09-21-2019 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Add
geronimopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Back to drag from freespooling

Know the problem, really need to have the power set for the shot. A friction washer on the spool could help as then you shoot off the line wraps only. Many times I have turned fish into kites when my 3/8" shafts punched clean through them and progressed down range slamming into whatever got in their way. A wingnut on the spool axle pushing a friction washer on the drum will help. Quick and dirty solution and a bit agricultural.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
geronimopro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Know the problem, really need to have the power set for the shot. A friction washer on the spool could help as then you shoot off the line wraps only. Many times I have turned fish into kites when my 3/8" shafts punched clean through them and progressed down range slamming into whatever got in their way. A wingnut on the spool axle pushing a friction washer on the drum will help. Quick and dirty solution and a bit agricultural.
Yep, that sounds great. And simple which is even better. Should be cheap to boot as well!
Assume l should fit the wingnut securing the frictiin washer just under the drag knob? It would have to be quite a thin wingnut and one of those with nylon to stop it from tightening..? Hope ive understood the suggestion my friend lol
Either way thanks for the response, now l know im not the only one that dislikes the way the shaft just disappears down to the depths after the end of mono tug.
geronimopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimopro View Post
Yep, that sounds great. And simple which is even better. Should be cheap to boot as well!
Assume l should fit the wingnut securing the frictiin washer just under the drag knob? It would have to be quite a thin wingnut and one of those with nylon to stop it from tightening..? Hope ive understood the suggestion my friend lol
Either way thanks for the response, now l know im not the only one that dislikes the way the shaft just disappears down to the depths after the end of mono tug.
Reels differ, but what you want is to stop the drum running, on my reel I could get to the drum center and push something against it by tightening the wing nut which replaced a standard nut and washer which was not a drag system, but was meant to ensure that the reel was free running. In the base of the reel was a drag clicker system, but that was because I had converted the reel from fishing use. Basically you want to put a spoke in the wheel, not a fish fighting drag. I was too cheap to buy a proper speargun reel back in the day, most were crap anyway except for the Riffe reel.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote