Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

Postcards from the Edge of Avalon, Catalina Island

...Diving is but one aspect of exploring Catalina island and all it has to offer. Spent two days living like the rich and famous up at the Wrigley Mansion (currently called the "Inn at Mt. Ada" after William Wrigley's wife)...Expensive but well worth it once a year to enjoy the panoramic view, great service and good food.
...Enroute over, the water was the usual green, but, with old age, you learn to adapt smoothly into just enjoying the adventure, whatever comes...
...A mile out, we spotted two marlin dorsal fins...but when they bobbed up and down without forward movement, I knew....it was just the annual Pesky Marlin Tournament...where things get wild... To throw off competitors, they make up wood floats that look like marlin fins and throw them over for the beginners to chase...This year, they were dressed as Vikings with helmets sporting horns and long braided wigs. The women looked like no one you would want to mess with....wild hair, short skirts,fur boots, daggers and all..
...The Catalina Art Festival was taking place; wine tasting fund raisers offered full glasses and Descanso beach bikinis were abundant...
...Marlin were scarce but, this year, swordfish were present to offer something more exciting...Winning fish was on a deep dropped bait on an Avalon Bank 280 lb. plus swordfish.. First place thru 6th were all swordfish!..A few yellowtail came in and one white sea bass was weighed.
..Breakfast and lunch is included in the room cost...For lunch at the Wrigley, I had crab cakes and a large swordfish steak with all the trimmings, two days in a row. A golf cart comes with the room and away we went...Wine tasting and food in the afternoons added to the glow; also included in the room cost..late nite runs to the kitchen for munchies, deserts and more wine was also part of the deal..A bonus was the one thousand star sky; shining brightly above the Isle of Romance....
...While we were on dry land, the kid was out at San Clemente island chasing tuna. Our frig is full of fresh caught bluefin from a 120 pounder hooked on their secret bait... For a change, we had dinner at the new Trailhead restaurant in Avalon...good prices for tasty mahi-mahi tacos and my wife's favorite, the barbecued pork sandwich...also, has a great view out over the harbor..
...The most wet I got was the wine tasting, but, man does not live by fish tacos alone....Besides, this coming Saturday, it is all about chasing tuna days and lobster at nite...I hate retirement life, but, someone has to do it.....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 09-24-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:46 PM   #2
Diver278

Re: Postcards from the Edge of Avalon, Catalina Island

Nice article Bob I think I'll try going there with the wife sometime. I hear you on the retirement life, going diving everyday well almost everyday in 83 water with 80 to 100 ft vis gets old. NOT. But like you said someone has to do it.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
Pfish

I want to see you in a wetsuit out of the water holding a 44# WSB and your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2019, 02:21 AM   #4
Diver278

I think he's talking to you Bob. We don't have WSB here in the Philippines. But if you read enough of Bob's articles I'm sure he can come up with some pics.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
Bob Ballew

Hmm, I would like to see me with a 44# seabass also...just saw tails disappearing into the murk a few times this season...am more confident on landing a bluefin...hell, I am even optimistic about swordfish to the point I have 400' of coiled line and some big floats ready to snap on if the opportunity arises...seems like all the fish reports are on Facebook these days, which explains my venturing off into travel logs just to have something for us to read...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Kadman

Hi Bob, Thanks for the update on the Wrigley Mansion. I will definitely take my wife there to celebrate our anniversary. We will be at the island this weekend chasing bugs. Hope you are successful on both your BF and Lob hunting. Cheers, Joe
Kadman is offline   Reply With Quote