Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
Pfish

Sharks and Seals

Sharks and Seals: Since we don't get too many dive reports in here, here you go...

This pic was taken 3 days ago at Refugio in the Sea of Cortez. If you look closely at this Grouper, you will notice a few bites takes out of it courtesy of a 300-400# nasty sea lion. I had him on the stringer and after poking the furbag several times, I finally gave up and let him attack it as I was dragging it back to my boat. Fast forward 24 hours and after missing a shot on another grouper, I turned around just in time to see a 16'-18' Great White Shark do a swim-by on my back side. I jumped up on a rock, reloaded my gun and waited a couple of minutes before swimming (pretty fast!) back to my boat keeping the gun at my six. I had a dive partner in the water and the shark was headed straight for him! Got dive buddy back in the boat and moved about a mile away to give it another try.

I wasn't sure if what I saw was a Tiger or a White, but after talking to a good friend of mine, he told me that he has a GWS tracking app that shows that GWS females actually go up in the midriff to pup every two summers. I thought the water would be too warm. After looking at the tails of both on YOuTube--a tiger and a white--I am pretty sure it was a massive white.

I have a theory that I hope is right and I am sure more spearos can identify with: The bigger the fish, the less chance you have of getting close to it. Big groupers stay away from you when you see them. Big pargos were swimming away from me all trip. I saw a Gulfie that bounced off 3 walls before swimming off away from me. Hope I am right about this....

Don't think I am going to be spearing that island at Refugio any more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baja Grouper.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	244163  
Old 10-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: Sharks and Seals

Well, I like your optimism...Only a mile away move? After the 16'er chased me into a kelp bed while diving solo, I moved 5 miles away and my body still refused to cooperate...Although, it did move rather fast back to the boat; with my speargun thrown onto the deck and when it landed, my feet were next to it...Anyway, welcome to the Great White Boys Club...…….

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 10-03-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote