Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-07-2019, 11:55 PM   #1
artiz

Return of the Aluminium Gun

Latest iteration... any thoughts much welcomed. Getting close now to actually having this made here in SE Asia.

Also here at Sketchfab... http://skfb.ly/6Jx9H

I have finally worked out how to hollow out my designs so that I can at least now attempt/account for buyouncy... neutral being the aim!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ally Cobra.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	244201  
Old 10-08-2019, 12:55 AM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Return of the Aluminium Gun

You can always put a molded polyurethane core in the handle which is what they do on the Russian "Taimen"; it gets sandwiched in when the clamshell handle halves are screwed together with bolts and nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grip handle polyurethane buoyancy element.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	244205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taimen parts nos. assembly & seals 2017 VRY.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	244206  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:07 AM   #3
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
You can always put a molded polyurethane core in the handle which is what they do on the Russian "Taimen"; it gets sandwiched in when the clamshell handle halves are screwed together with bolts and nuts.
Fantastic information as ever Pete... much thanks! Just love your Titanium model! I had never heard of it before your post.

Last edited by artiz; 10-08-2019 at 01:27 AM.
artiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:10 AM   #4
popgun pete

A column-cored handle could allow you to change the grip and make it suitable for different hands such as left and right and big and small. Although left handers are not as large a market they would rather a handle that suited them than a universal handle. To stop the handle rotating on the core the column could be rectangular box section or a T-section.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:06 AM   #5
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
A column-cored handle could allow you to change the grip and make it suitable for different hands such as left and right and big and small. Although left handers are not as large a market they would rather a handle that suited them than a universal handle. To stop the handle rotating on the core the column could be rectangular box section or a T-section.
The handle is bespoke Pete... taken from a 3D scan of my own gloved hand. The entire idea/design/concept was a reaction to the future ability to 3D print my own speargun design from my own 3D printer at home... or even printed/shipped by an online company like Sculpteo, Shapeways, Materialise etc. Now that their printed metal 3D prices are actually getting realistic I was considering going back to the original concept. I did buy a 3D printer a few years back and printed some early designs in a variety of materials which are now gaining even more strength but durability was always going to be the big issue... The main reason that I have never been in a hurry.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #6
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiz View Post
Latest iteration... any thoughts much welcomed. Getting close now to actually having this made here in SE Asia.

Also here at Sketchfab... http://skfb.ly/6Jx9H

I have finally worked out how to hollow out my designs so that I can at least now attempt/account for buyouncy... neutral being the aim!

http://youtu.be/GAkudb1iZRw

Very interesting and pretty cool to seeing you work on it again.

How did you have the 3d scan of your hand made? Custom handles are a perfect application and so would be footpockets for fins perfectly molded too our feet.

Keep us updated on your progress it seems like you are getting pretty close to your goal.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiz View Post
The handle is bespoke Pete... taken from a 3D scan of my own gloved hand. The entire idea/design/concept was a reaction to the future ability to 3D print my own speargun design from my own 3D printer at home... or even printed/shipped by an online company like Sculpteo, Shapeways, Materialise etc. Now that their printed metal 3D prices are actually getting realistic I was considering going back to the original concept. I did buy a 3D printer a few years back and printed some early designs in a variety of materials which are now gaining even more strength but durability was always going to be the big issue... The main reason that I have never been in a hurry.
I was thinking that if others liked your gun then you may defray some of the cost by making multiple units and then would need a range of grips. At one stage Omer made an alloy gun, not the "Aluminium" but the "ONE", maybe it was with their Sporasub hat on. For a period it was vaunted as their best gun, but like many Omer models it disappeared when they generated newer models. From memory it was all one-piece after being bonded together and only the grip cover came off.

Another possibility is a dove tail connection where the metal lower grip slides into the upper receiver and is locked with a pin.