Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #31
Seansheds
Sean
 
Seansheds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 475
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
To Spearq8's point, one issue I had right off the get go with the Alemanni is over powering it, and just slightly. The gun was shipped with tabs showing what fins to load on. But that was only for double roller. It shot fine until I put the invert battery on and loaded on the same tabs. That caused chaos. When I told Alemanni they said they forgot to tell me when switching to hybrid set up to move from fin 1 and 3 to fins 2 and 4 due to the increased speed/power.

Once I moved the power down the gun was finally controllable. Amazing how just changing the power by moving to different fins can change the performance of these guns. I'm still unsure what is going on that the gun cannot accept 8 cm more of load length and without causing instability.
So I guess I'm confused. I though their hybrid was the 2-piece gun? When you say invert battery you're talking about the band that wraps from the bottom through the gun and connects to the top of the barrel?
__________________


Get all your spearfishing gear at Spear America!
Seansheds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #32
Seansheds
Sean
 
Seansheds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 475
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
9.9 Lbs
My Oceanborn 145 weighs in at exactly 10 lbs fully rigged.
__________________


Get all your spearfishing gear at Spear America!
Seansheds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #33
popgun pete
Registered User
 
popgun pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,117
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seansheds View Post
So I guess I'm confused. I though their hybrid was the 2-piece gun? When you say invert battery you're talking about the band that wraps from the bottom through the gun and connects to the top of the barrel?
The band battery works through moving side pulleys, or pulleys in a block underneath the gun. Their operating stroke is half the wishbone draw as for every 2 inches of top deck travel the cable moves 2 inches on the pulley, as the cable wraps the pulley, for each inch that the band moves as it stretches. Band batteries have double or triple bands to make up the force level lost to the cable anchor at the muzzle.

The composite band on rollers allows thinly stretched bands on the top deck when cocked (cf shoelaces) with the fatter sections sitting underneath. Stretch limiting cords in the top bands forces the fat lower bands to stretch.

The designs are to cram as much rubber as possible on the gun to get more power, but not overstretch the bands and knock the stuffing out of them, hence the window wrapping long bands on the Alemanni.

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-16-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: fixed a sentence as I had left some words out
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #34
Marco
Registered User
 
Marco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Miami, Florida
Age: 54
Posts: 2,583
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

One of my dive partners has an Alemanni and he swears by it. Plenty of power and zero recoil.
__________________
Marco

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #35
Seansheds
Sean
 
Seansheds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 475
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
The band battery works through moving side pulleys, or pulleys in a block underneath the gun. Their operating stroke is half the wishbone draw as for every inch of top deck travel the cable moves 2 inches as it wraps the pulley. Band batteries have double or triple bands to make up the force level lost to the cable anchor at the muzzle.

The composite band on rollers allows thinly stretched bands on the top deck when cocked (cf shoelaces) with the fatter sections sitting underneath. Stretch limiting cords in the top bands forces the fat lower bands to stretch.

The designs are to cram as much rubber as possible on the gun to get more power, but not overstretch the bands and knock the stuffing out of them, hence the window wrapping long bands on the Alemanni.
Got it. Thanks!
__________________


Get all your spearfishing gear at Spear America!
Seansheds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:51 AM   #36
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,096
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

I tried the OB 145 and is one of the few guns that I shot that was actually painful. That is just way too much power that is channeled directly into your thumb. The gun absolutely needs to have a serious handle mod to make it usable. The trigger to palm distance is way too far which positions your wrist incorrectly and sets your thumb to get the full force of 4 bands. That force needs to be channeled into the center of your palm and I am pretty sure if that is done, you will get more velocity and more accuracy with 3 bands than you would with the default 4 banded configuration. Plus it would be very pleasant to shoot.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #37
Seansheds
Sean
 
Seansheds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 475
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I tried the OB 145 and is one of the few guns that I shot that was actually painful. That is just way too much power that is channeled directly into your thumb. The gun absolutely needs to have a serious handle mod to make it usable. The trigger to palm distance is way too far which positions your wrist incorrectly and sets your thumb to get the full force of 4 bands. That force needs to be channeled into the center of your palm and I am pretty sure if that is done, you will get more velocity and more accuracy with 3 bands than you would with the default 4 banded configuration. Plus it would be very pleasant to shoot.
The trigger distance is one of my biggest issues with both Oceanborn's. I feel like I'm reaching, which makes the shot less accurate. I tried swapping out the standard handle with the formed one to see if that helps, but I can't get the dang handle off to swap it!

The trigger on my Seal 80 is perfect.

This is also one of the reasons I'm leaning toward a custom Petar Pan right now. He said he'll have me measure my palm to trigger distance and make it to fit my hand.
__________________


Get all your spearfishing gear at Spear America!
Seansheds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #38
popgun pete
Registered User
 
popgun pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,117
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seansheds View Post
The trigger distance is one of my biggest issues with both Oceanborn's. I feel like I'm reaching, which makes the shot less accurate. I tried swapping out the standard handle with the formed one to see if that helps, but I can't get the dang handle off to swap it!

The trigger on my Seal 80 is perfect.

This is also one of the reasons I'm leaning toward a custom Petar Pan right now. He said he'll have me measure my palm to trigger distance and make it to fit my hand.
If you want to pay 2 grand for a gun then I think all the makers can accommodate you on that score. The Alemanni Travel guns seem a great idea and you can always have full length spears in a travel tube as you will need more than one as spears are unfortunately consumables. A stock of spears left at a destination helps if you go there regularly, provided you know someone who can hang onto them for you.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #39
gspearguns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 271
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seansheds View Post
The trigger distance is one of my biggest issues with both Oceanborn's. I feel like I'm reaching, which makes the shot less accurate. I tried swapping out the standard handle with the formed one to see if that helps, but I can't get the dang handle off to swap it!

The trigger on my Seal 80 is perfect.

This is also one of the reasons I'm leaning toward a custom Petar Pan right now. He said he'll have me measure my palm to trigger distance and make it to fit my hand.
It's not just that distance, shape and size of handle is important too. On this 120 invert roller is custom build handle. Customer has only three and a half fingers and he is pulling trigger with middle finger so trigger distance is 76 mm. Depending of hand size it can vary from 65-67 up to 75-77. Once I made even 80 for really big handle. http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=199089
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	244267   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	244268  

Last edited by gspearguns; 10-16-2019 at 04:10 PM.
gspearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #40
popgun pete
Registered User
 
popgun pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,117
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

Maybe cut a template out of thick cardboard to show the dimensions you want for your handgrip and finger reach or you take a mold with some material and send it with your order. A little bit of effort to get a good representation of your grip requirements. I have found guns with adjustable everything don't really work re the grips and trigger location, they seem to suit no one and eventually disappear from the market.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #41
gspearguns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 271
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Maybe cut a template out of thick cardboard to show the dimensions you want for your handgrip and finger reach or you take a mold with some material and send it with your order. A little bit of effort to get a good representation of your grip requirements. I have found guns with adjustable everything don't really work re the grips and trigger location, they seem to suit no one and eventually disappear from the market.
Something like that. Sketch of hand with some measurement line on it is usually enough good.
gspearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:02 AM   #42
kodama
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 353
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
I have found guns with adjustable everything don't really work re the grips and trigger location, they seem to suit no one and eventually disappear from the market.

How do you like the handle on the C4 gun you got? That one is adjustable but seems to work for a lot of hands.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #43
popgun pete
Registered User
 
popgun pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,117
Re: Rollergun feedback: Petar Pan, Alemanni, Briante, Carbonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
How do you like the handle on the C4 gun you got? That one is adjustable but seems to work for a lot of hands.
That is OK, in fact it suited me right out of the box, and I did not have to change anything (you get two rear handle sections and a bunch of spacers and screws to push the rear of the handle back or forwards as the case may be). The adjustable grips that I was referring to had shims to fatten up the grip scales and a gadget to change the tilt of the trigger and its sensitivity. Some guns have fore-after adjustable triggers that change the reach to your trigger finger, Mares have tried it a few times, but it usually gets dropped after the novelty wears off. Better to have a gun that suits only you and is fitted to your handgrip and trigger pull requirements and will not go out of adjustment.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com