Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
Dbrown

Conditions after Hurricane Michael in Clearwater

To start, respect and well wishes to all those that suffered through the direct path of Michael. I was in Miami during Andrew and put a new roof on last year after Irma up here. I understand and respect the aftermath having been through it, that said I'm glad I'm not going through it this time and looking at weekend plans.

Was going to surf tomorrow am. My friend broke his board on Wednesday out by honeymoon and another friend said surf today was weak and fish smell horrible. I live near Indian Rocks and smell is bad. So no surfing plan and no inshore fishing plans. Not interested in being out there in the stink as it adversely affects me more than it does some others. Michael didn't pull stink away.

Think viz thread leading us down path of milkshake viz, so no diving until someone posts something favorable.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
chawk25

Re: Conditions after Hurricane Michael in Clearwater

Was thinking of going myself but I think we're going to wait a week or maybe go do some h&L
chawk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawk25 View Post
Was thinking of going myself but I think we're going to wait a week or maybe go do some h&L
Fish often get very “chewy’ after a big storm. If there is no vis the prospect of good fishing may be a good enough reason to risk an offshore run.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

tip: dirty horrible vis, H&L smelly bait. Fish are hungry and follow their nose, especially when it's been dirty for a while. Clean water: better have a damned good presentation of a fresh wounded bait and be ready to be disgusted by the fickleness of their 'eating time'.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
Eibwen

I believe that fishing is good following a big storm that stirs up the bottom dwelling creatures so glad to know this aligns with the local wisdom here. While I'd rather be shooting fish poor vis doesn't preclude the ability to fish and sonar scout new spots. Glad some of you are thinking along the same lines and hope to see some fishing & visibility reports soon. Weather supposed to be good on Saturday for those willing to brave the weekend boat ramps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2fTsHub64
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
I believe that fishing is good following a big storm that stirs up the bottom dwelling creatures so glad to know this aligns with the local wisdom here. While I'd rather be shooting fish poor vis doesn't preclude the ability to fish and sonar scout new spots. Glad some of you are thinking along the same lines and hope to see some fishing & visibility reports soon. Weather supposed to be good on Saturday for those willing to brave the weekend boat ramps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2fTsHub64
What an idiot in that video! People like that should be publicly shamed and have their tires slashed.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
bubble_head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
To start, respect and well wishes to all those that
Was going to surf tomorrow am. My friend broke his board on Wednesday out by honeymoon and another friend said surf today was weak and fish smell horrible.

Are the waves decent? Shame I sold my 11' board moving down here, might have to pick up a board and go again
bubble_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Dbrown

Chest high Wednesday I was told, but rapidly dissipated here in Clearwater. Only can do storms or cold fronts for the most part on this coast.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote