Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
Bill McIntyre

Re: Simple Pan Seared Grouper (would probably be great with most white-fleshed fish)

Maybe the oil content of gag grouper was high too, and I just don't remember it. Its been a few years. I think this photo shows the last grouper I ever shot, when I was in flight school at Pensacola in 1964. I've forgotten a few details from back then.

I don't consider white sea bass to be oily. Would you guys agree?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackgrouper1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	144000  
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
ApneaAddict

Re: Simple Pan Seared Grouper (would probably be great with most white-fleshed fish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Is the oil content of broomtail really higher?

I grew up eating grouper in Florida, and the only thing my Grandmother knew how to do was fry. Of course they were mostly gag grouper, but I wouldn't think grouper oil content would vary much.
When I rinsed the fillet knife in the water, an oily sheen would spread across the surface similar to what happens when cleaning albacore. My experience with grouper is very limited, but in my experience broomtail and cabrilla both are amazingly oily for white flesh species.

Quote:
Maybe the oil content of gag grouper was high too, and I just don't remember it. Its been a few years. I think this photo shows the last grouper I ever shot, when I was in flight school at Pensacola in 1964. I've forgotten a few details from back then.

I don't consider white sea bass to be oily. Would you guys agree?
Is that a gag? Nice fish. I'd love to try my hand at grouper hunting over in FL at some point.

I tend to think of seabass as fairly oily. Definitely less so than grouper, though.

Last edited by ApneaAddict; 01-28-2011 at 02:03 PM.
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
apneanaut
Bryan

Send a message via AIM to apneanaut

No I don't think white seabass are oily.
apneanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
fuzz
fuzzy logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApneaAddict View Post
I tend to think of seabass as fairly oily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apneanaut View Post
No I don't think white seabass are oily.

fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #20
Dwikkles
It's what's for dinner

I'll be trying this one no doubt.

You're gonna have to write a book soon
Dwikkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #21
Bill McIntyre

Dammit, can't brothers agree on anything? Is wsb oily or not?

Anyway, I'm going to try that recipe on wsb, probably with the maple syrup, and I bet it will be great.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #22
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApneaAddict View Post
Is that a gag? Nice fish.
I guess it was a gag. Even though my father was a fishing guide and commercial fisherman, we called them black grouper back then. It wasn't until I got on Spearboard that I learned the difference between gags and blacks (aka carbo).

That one weighed 50 pounds as I recall, and it was bigger than any ever caught on my father's boat or speared by anyone I knew.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #23
ApneaAddict

Quote:
Dammit, can't brothers agree on anything? Is wsb oily or not?

Anyway, I'm going to try that recipe on wsb, probably with the maple syrup, and I bet it will be great.
Haha. I guess not. Stupid Bryan. How about this: in terms of total oil content, Grouper>WSB>Halibut. I bet we can all agree on that.

Thanks for being the guinea pig, Bill. I bet it'll be great too, but be sure to report back in case its not .
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #24
apneanaut
Bryan

Send a message via AIM to apneanaut

I agree that wsb probably has more oil content than rockfish, lingcod or halibut, so it's oily compared to most other fish we spear. But I wouldn't describe it as an oily fish like I would an albacore or this grouper. Like Carter said, it left an iridescent slick on the surface as he was cleaning it. Unless part of this recipe is marinating the fish in melted butter, that natural oiliness really comes through in the taste.

I think this recipe would be good with fish of all oil contents. E.g. both oily and not oily wsb.
apneanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #25
Grumblefish
grumbling ghost fishes

Omega-3's cover the cutting board every time I fillet grouper/cabrilla in baja. Makes me feel healthy, even if its washed down with tecate's. I agree with the oily-fish hierarchy.