Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
breezy

Shafts for pneumatic salvimar

Got my girst pneumatic, 65cm salvimar vuotu. Nice gun but crappy shaft, bent it while trying to load it (novice user error but still). Anyone know of a source for 7mm or bigger, well made shafts? (i think this gun takes up to 8mm) thanks!
breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
jersymudsniper

Re: Shafts for pneumatic salvimar

I have used a few different shafts for my 85. Sigalsub are good but shipping to usa isnt cheap. Check scuba store. Mares cryano shafts work and are readaly available. But nothing special. Any shaft will work in right length its just the shaft tail needs to match. Most dont list salvimar as a option. But mares cryano tails fit. Best shaft i had was a salvimar tortion 2 air. But its almost impossible to get in usa. Love air guns but i got so tired of trying to locate parts i parked mine on the shelf.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:59 AM   #3
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

One other option, if you have access to a lathe, is to take any shark fin/notched shaft you fancy and cut it down for your use. Just make sure the donor shaft is long enough to start with.

Then cut the M6x1mm thread for the tail end on a lathe.

Bear in mind that the slider you have on your shaft was made to fit the diameter of the original shaft. But sliders can be had from other manufacturers, too.

I am attaching a simple drawing for the thread which will work for your tail ends. (I have cut plenty myself by now, so I can guarantee that it works).

[edit] Don't pick a Rob Allen or other carbon steel shafts. They l'll out and ruin your seals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SHAFT TAIL END THREAD.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	238767  

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 07-13-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Coral Sniper
Pineisland Freediver

Maverick-america.com has the salvimar vouto shafts if you dont see it on the site give them a call, Mark was great and had all the shafts I needed in stock for my 115 vouto!

Ben Carlson
FREEDIVE Fort Myers, Join us on FB!
Coral Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
breezy

Thanks! I cant find in the manual weather or not this gun can take a 7.5-8mm shaft, anyone know?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy View Post
Thanks! I cant find in the manual weather or not this gun can take a 7.5-8mm shaft, anyone know?

You need a different shock absorber for 8mm shafts - and a bigger tail end. The bigger tail end is the reason you need a new shock absorber as the bore on the original one is not big enough to let the bigger tail end pass through. It's a cheap part though I don't know if you can easily find it in the US - as this forum shows there's not a whole lot of love for air guns there;-)

Perhaps you could just drill out the bore of your shock absorber... I'll try to measure mine and get back in a day or two as I have both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #7
breezy

It is definetly not easy to find parts and info, only shot the gun once so far but it is sweet. What exactly do you mean by shock absorber? The tubber grommet in the muzzle?
Old 07-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
It is definetly not easy to find parts and info, only shot the gun once so far but it is sweet. What exactly do you mean by shock absorber? The tubber grommet in the muzzle?

I think you may have a parts diagram in your manual?
You'd have to depressurize the gun to change this part but it's not a biggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
jersymudsniper

Quote:
This is the shock absorber. After you let air out of gun and unscrew muzzle you can pop it out. I'd leave shaft 7mm. Heavier shaft you would have to pump the gun up more. It comes like 18 bar stock. You would probably have to pump it up 22 bar or better wich is harder to load if you went 8mm shaft. I ran my 85cm with 7mm shaft at 20 bar and it blows through big fish. Its plenty. Diving gecko is a pro at airguns so he may have better input then me. While you have gun apart oil it and check piston ect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PicsArt_07-15-03.37.34.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	238784  
Old 07-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
breezy

Thanks, ill stick with the 7mm, just didnt like the metal the stock shaft is made from, silly bendable
Old 07-16-2018, 03:41 AM   #11
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
This is the shock absorber. After you let air out of gun and unscrew muzzle you can pop it out. I'd leave shaft 7mm. Heavier shaft you would have to pump the gun up more. It comes like 18 bar stock. You would probably have to pump it up 22 bar or better wich is harder to load if you went 8mm shaft. I ran my 85cm with 7mm shaft at 20 bar and it blows through big fish. Its plenty. Diving gecko is a pro at airguns so he may have better input then me. While you have gun apart oil it and check piston ect.
Yep, Jersymudsniper got it all right (except I don't yet consider myself a true pro;-)).

I think the difference is that Breezy got the older Vuoto Air and not the Predathor. Nothing wrong with that, but the Vuoto Air might have shipped with a shitty shaft. The Predathor Vuotos ship with nice 17-4ph hardened shafts.

Anyways, I did measure the shock absorbers just now and will share my thoughts just in case other folks wondered.
But first, I'll share this pic that I am not sure where I got from but hope it's OK that I repost it. It shows, what I believe is a prototype of the Vuoto muzzle, but the annotations I am not sure who made. Possibly Popgun Pete.

Only real difference is that the shock absorber (called 'shock absorber anvil' in this pic) is a tough plastic in the production runs, like Jersy's pic in the post above.

Now, on to the measurements. In all pics the shock absorber for 7mm shafts is to the left and the one for 8mm to the right:

In all their simplistic glory, they look like this and could easily be mistaken for being exactly the same:

(I took some o-rings off of these shock absorbers to make them easier to measure)

The only real difference is the size of the inside bore, kinda visible to the naked eye (smaller bore on the left):

With calipers, the smaller bore shock absorber has an inner diameter of 8.5mm, the bigger one is 1mm bigger:

They are both the same length. But the real question was whether they share the same dimensions regarding the o-ring seat, and they do:

So, to conclude, I personally think it would be an OK approach to just enlarge the bore for bigger shafts if one needed to. That said, it's a three Euro spare part if I recall correctly, but that only matters if you can actually get your hands on them.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #12
breezy

When looking for shafts i never see “salvimar” listed in the drop down, what other shafts have the same loader end as salvimar? I see sporasub, mares, seac, omer, etc, but rarely salvimar
Old 07-17-2018, 09:50 PM   #13
jersymudsniper

Quote:
When looking for shafts i never see “salvimar” listed in the drop down, what other shafts have the same loader end as salvimar? I see sporasub, mares, seac, omer, etc, but rarely salvimar
I mentioned that earlier. Mares fits.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 AM   #14
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Seac should fit, too. But they don't really make great shafts.
But remember these are screw-on tails so for now you still have your original tail-end on your original shaft. You can move that over to your new shaft, if needed.

If you have to do this or if you have to remove a tail end to change a slider, then be careful not to mar the tail end as it can shorten the life of your vacuum seal in the muzzle. Often they are thread-locked so heat it with a lighten before unscrewing and thread-lock it back in place when done. Otherwise, you risk it unscrewing and that can easily lead to a lost shaft.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 07-18-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #15
Coral Sniper
Pineisland Freediver

Just give Maverick-america.com a call as they are salvimar dealers and have the shafts even though they may not be listed on the website.

Ben Carlson
FREEDIVE Fort Myers, Join us on FB!
Coral Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote