Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
Hpwatson

Wood pole spear? Dumb idea?

I just finished my first speargun build and had a great time with the project, now I'm wondering about building a pole spear. I'm not aware of any quality wood ones out there and I know the obvious reasons for using carbon fiber/fiberglass/aluminum but I'm just wondering if it could work or if it's worth the effort. I have some nice Bois D'arc (Osage Orange) wood that I think might work, it's one of the hardest woods in North America. Commonly used to make longbows. But also very heavy.

Anyway I'm just curious if anyone out there has built their own wood pole spear with any success or if this is just a bad idea.
Hpwatson is offline   Reply With Quote