Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 06-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #1
Mendicant

Best camera for low visibility?

I have never owned a camera other than the disposable camera I bought out of a vending machine in 5th grade, whatever is equipped on my smartphone, and the webcam on my laptop that has a piece of duct tape over the lens. (If you want to know why I keep duct tape on my webcam, ask some of the fellows who frequent the Politics/Religion section of Spearboard. They know a lot more about that stuff than I do.)

I would like to record my spearfishing adventures so that I may share them online (including such fine websites as Spearboard) but am new to the whole camera game.

Which model will work best for spearfishing in low vis conditions, such as below 2' or 3'?

Thank you in advance for your generous input.
Mendicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
Hpwatson

Re: Best camera for low visibility?

You'll need to manage your expectations in 2-3ft vis, the camera can only do so much.. but I definitely recommend gopro. Whatever your budget is, the newer the better. Gopros do a great job of auto-adjusting exposure and color really quickly. Generally speaking, any camera will make the vis look like a little less than it really was looking through your mask, but gopro is hard to beat. They also do a good job of maintaining focus in murk. Some cameras will lose focus in hazy/dirty conditions.
Hpwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Marco

Hey,

I got a refurbished GoPro on Ebay for less than 60 bucks. It's still doing well after one year. I takes some decent videos in murky water. I used to live in Panama, where water is usually murky.

But 2' is less than the distance to the tip of your speargun. You will need some X-ray there...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
Behslayer

Should be fine with a Go-Pro just use WIDE Setting?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
popgun pete

In that sort of vis you are going to see the departure of your spear and the arrival of the fish rather than any hits unless you shoot point blank at something. Suspended particles in the water with any camera lighting will look like glitter, I have speared in such soup, but you don't want a long range gun as shooting further than you can see is not recommended.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote