Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
rtdean
Saltybones1

Send a message via AIM to rtdean
Beautiful shark interaction video

Somebody sent this to me today and I thought some of you might like it....it's Cristina Zenato of UNEXSO out of Freeport....she loves sharks as you can tell....she's the one who showed Mike Rutzen from South Africa (the guy who swam with 8 Great Whites) how to do tonic immobility on one of the Shark Week related programs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...qX6A&vq=medium

Enjoy,

Rick

www.saltybones.com - Hardcore Diving & Fishing Apparel

Last edited by rtdean; 04-18-2011 at 06:45 PM.
rtdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
CorySweatt

Send a message via Yahoo to CorySweatt
Re: Beautiful shark interaction video

That is an amazing video. To see an animal that has such a bad wrap in such a docile state.
CorySweatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
BOHICA
SNAFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljgilner View Post
what kind of sharks were they? are they wild sharks or already trained lol?
They are trained! You can get em at petco
Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
ameliahunter

Docile state? That is the same thing zoo keepers say before the lion bites there arm off. I would be pissed if this guy was doing this in my waters..should be outlawed. This teaches sharks that divers have food to hand out. Very cool that he can handle the sharks like this but I would really be impressed if it was without the bait bucket.
ameliahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
sniper1

Amazing video! Thank you for posting.
sniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
CorySweatt

Send a message via Yahoo to CorySweatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliahunter View Post
Docile state? That is the same thing zoo keepers say before the lion bites there arm off. I would be pissed if this guy was doing this in my waters..should be outlawed. This teaches sharks that divers have food to hand out. Very cool that he can handle the sharks like this but I would really be impressed if it was without the bait bucket.
Oh I didn't say I was against natural selection. You play with fire you're bound to get burned. But to me it doesn't look like they're in the ocean but more like they're in some sort of artificial aquarium but I could be wrong. Also, it's a woman.
CorySweatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
GUNRUNNER

Nice blacks!
GUNRUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
rtdean
Saltybones1

I posted this thread, because of the sheer beauty of it....Cristina is no amateur and has been doing this stuff for umpteen years.....VERY experienced in most all forms of diving....a Tech Diving Instructor, Cave instructor, freediver, and speaks 5 languages, etc etc etc.

UNEXSO is to Grand Bahama what Stuart Cove is to Nassau, I would guess.....

The filming likely took place offshore Freeport, somewhere, in an area she goes, quite often.

As spearos, there seems to be a fair amount of dislike for sharks and I think that is unfortunate....keep in mind, when you shoot fish and sharks come around and try to take them, it is natural for them to do that.....you have caused a situation they are simply responding to. Also, there is no question in my mind that spearing fish DOES associate divers with sharks, at least some of the time....I'm NOT saying that this is wrong, but it does most definitely happen. To feed a few Caribbean Reef sharks in a controlled and non-aggressive setting, as Cristina is doing does not bother me, if it is done by very experienced people in a very controlled setting.

Anyway, here is a web page to show you a little about Cristina....

http://www.cristinazenato.com/CZ.html

Have a great day, folks!

Rick

Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
ameliahunter

I get what you are saying but how about doing it at sea world in there shark tank and leave the wild sharks alone. It is illegal to feed bears or even leave out food items where bears are know to inhabit due to it does change there natural fear of man and eventually causes problems.

One example when I was a kid a neighbor of a friend feed squirles around his house for years and they eventually would run up your leg and jump on you from trees when you approached his house looking for handouts. One jumped on the mail carrier and scratched his face pretty good and a lawsuit followed. I dont think it ever went to court but it is similar to feeding sharks imho.

either way what she is doiong is amazing no doubt about it!
ameliahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
rtdean
Saltybones1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliahunter View Post
I get what you are saying but how about doing it at sea world in there shark tank and leave the wild sharks alone. It is illegal to feed bears or even leave out food items where bears are know to inhabit due to it does change there natural fear of man and eventually causes problems.

One example when I was a kid a neighbor of a friend feed squirles around his house for years and they eventually would run up your leg and jump on you from trees when you approached his house looking for handouts. One jumped on the mail carrier and scratched his face pretty good and a lawsuit followed. I dont think it ever went to court but it is similar to feeding sharks imho.

either way what she is doiong is amazing no doubt about it!
I am rather against holding wild animals in captivity....on the other hand, what a novel idea it might be to get some Caribbean Reef sharks in a Shamu sized pool at Sea World (ideally) and have a shark feeder in a large tank with them...that would be WAY cool, maybe....not sure how they would react to a confined environment like that, though.

I know the discussion has been on SB numerous times about comparing/feeding bears, squirrells, and other wild animals, etc. to sharks in the wild....but please notice that Cristina totally turns her back on all the sharks except the one(s) she is feeding.....I found that true, also, when I dove at Stuart Cove's....they are not the least bit interested in the divers, to hurt them, or mess with them, but ONLY in their fish food. I was not the feeder at the time, but I knew there were many sharks swimming all around and behind me, and I was pretty sure they wouldn't bother me....on the other hand, I would not turn my back on bears in the wild whether or not they had learned to associate food with people, as I wouldn't trust them, so I personally wouldn't compare the two situations, IMHO. Also, after spending many hours in the water with Great Whites, I also wouldn't ever turn my back on them either.

Sharks I would turn my back on (not spearing)....Nurse, Caribbean Reef, etc.

Sharks I WOULDN'T turn my back on (generally), also not spearing.....Bulls, Tigers, GWS, Oceanic White Tips, Makos, etc.

Maybe it's the species and situation that would determine it for me...are they showing signs of aggression or calm???

Very interesting discussion, though....

Rick

Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
amg63

would she have her back turned on the sharks if she wasnt wearing that chain link shark suit
amg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:39 AM   #12
rtdean
Saltybones1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg63 View Post
would she have her back turned on the sharks if she wasnt wearing that chain link shark suit
The chainmail suit is only for protection against an accidental bite.....when Carib Reefs feed, they have nictitating membranes which slide to cover and protect their eyes at the last moment before they bite. If they were bumped by another shark or if the bait moved, then an accidental bite to the feeder is somewhat possible.

When we were at Stuart Coves, the shark action was about the same as you see in the video. As spectators, we were as close as maybe 6-10 feet from the feeding at any one time. The sharks wouldn't have their eyes covered at this point so the chance of our getting bit was extremely remote. The sharks were swimming by us from behind, or whereever, sometimes hitting us in the face with their tails, to get to the food. What you don't want to have happen is for a piece of bait to break free and be floating around...then the chance of an accidental bite could increase, of course.

None of us spectators had any chainmail on at all and we always had our backs turned to some of the sharks. We were told to just keep our hands and arms relatively close to our body and not flail around or reach out to pet the sharks, though some did. Everyone had on black wetsuits with all but our hands and heads covered, so the sharks wouldn't mistake our light colored arms for fish.

If you ever get over to Nassau for at least a day, check out Stuart Cove's ...it is quite an experience...same would be true for Freeport and UNEXSO, I would assume....

Rick

Old 04-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
amandanewell

awesome..
amandanewell is offline   Reply With Quote