Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #61
Robert D.
Marisa D Fishing Team

Re: SAFMC Bringing back catch shares and restrictions on powerheads

Mike- You seem to be very intelligent, but a little naive. I have been involved with peer reviewed research and scientists for the last 24 years. I have come to understand what all the letters mean behind my name and others....B.S.--Bull Sh!t......M.S. More Sh$t.... and PhD....Piled High and Deep....

These commercial boys are right and I feel for them. But we are fighting a losing battle.

Research is getting skewed worse each year. Special interest groups such as PEW are behind most of the research in the SEDAR 15. Follow the money. Yes, a lot was in the Gulf done by PEW fellow Felicia Coleman. The rest was done by interns at boat ramps and phone solicitation directed by FSU also. But it is all the research they have.

HELL THE HEAD OF NOAA IS A PEW FELLOW!!!!!

http://www.pewenvironment.org/resear.../id/8589942454

Kids now a days are taught in college about sustainability and save our earth and actually major in it. Many of them become vegans, eat tofu, hug trees and join groups like PEW because their professors urge them too. I know several of them personally. The future looks grim.... We all want a sustainable ocean, but we do not want unnecesary regulation..

Last edited by Robert D.; 03-15-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Robert D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #62
Robert D.
Marisa D Fishing Team

You ask HOW POWERFUL IS PEW???

LOOK FOR YOURSELF! CORPORATIONS WITH OVER 2 TRILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR!!!

HMMM....

http://www.sustainabilityconsortium....egislation.pdf

Last edited by Robert D.; 03-15-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #63
Gradyman
Man on a Mission...

After watching all these regulations evolve for a number of years now I've come to the conclusion that it's not about the fish population, it's about who owns/controls the fish population.

If you lose your wealth you've lost nothing, if you lose your health you've lost something, if you lose your integrity you've lost everything.

When there is nothing left but God,you find out that God is all you need.

Our thoughts become words...words become actions...actions become habits...habits become character and it becomes our destiny.
Gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #64
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradyman View Post
After watching all these regulations evolve for a number of years now I've come to the conclusion that it's not about the fish population, it's about who owns/controls the fish population.
Sad............but true!

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #65
makomaster
sb's most hated

well we all could take catch shares in the a$$ then miracoously we would get 6,000,000 lbs three years after being extinct,like the gulf,then I'll stay home and lease quota to all the sport guys
Old 03-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #66
bag-man

Me too.... excatly what i wanna do sit home allday and read spearboard.
bag-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #67
makomaster
sb's most hated

I thought you did that anyway
Old 03-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #68
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D. View Post
Mike- You seem to be very intelligent, but a little naive. I have been involved with peer reviewed research and scientists for the last 24 years. I have come to understand what all the letters mean behind my name and others....B.S.--Bull Sh!t......M.S. More Sh$t.... and PhD....Piled High and Deep....

These commercial boys are right and I feel for them. But we are fighting a losing battle.

Research is getting skewed worse each year. Special interest groups such as PEW are behind most of the research in the SEDAR 15. Follow the money. Yes, a lot was in the Gulf done by PEW fellow Felicia Coleman. The rest was done by interns at boat ramps and phone solicitation directed by FSU also. But it is all the research they have.

HELL THE HEAD OF NOAA IS A PEW FELLOW!!!!!

http://www.pewenvironment.org/resear.../id/8589942454

Kids now a days are taught in college about sustainability and save our earth and actually major in it. Many of them become vegans, eat tofu, hug trees and join groups like PEW because their professors urge them too. I know several of them personally. The future looks grim.... We all want a sustainable ocean, but we do not want unnecesary regulation..
I did know that, and I think is definitely a conflict of interest.

Rob, in reading your posts since I've come to Jax I have a lot of respect. You are very active, and you are not just one of the many that just spout off what they hear. I don't, however, feel as though I am naive. We both want the same thing. I really do think fishery management could stand for a big reworking...but it can't be done over night. I know that the view has changed a lot in education these days with people pushing excessive environmental opinions. I have always resisted those, and I try to get people to ease up. Obviously things can't be unregulated, but there needs to be some common/middle ground. Hopefully we all can work towards getting that. I hope that as I move forward in my career I can get involved in a way that helps on the science side for the good.

From the start I have been saying the powerhead restriction was bogus and that I really think ARS would be open (and SHOULD be reopened), and that I didn't really know much about catch shares issue.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #69
hammerhead786

For those of you who may question my involvement I've been through this from start to "finish" with sword fishing years ago. It was a serious learning experience. I had no idea how far fishing/the fishery went until then. I had very close friends high up in NOAA that remain today. In fact back then I remember one of them telling me that they were opening Long Lining in the EEZ because that was the only way they could collect accurate data on our sword fishery. He also told me not to get excited about it ( I was passionate about saving the fishery ) because they were going to have a "NOAA payed observer-> probably making over 100 G's a year on each vessel they permitted to commence Long lining in the EEZ. He told me this was the ONLY way they could accurately asses the current swordfish stocks. The boats were to be commercial sword boats NOAA paid to fish with NOAA paid observers on board with the boats selling their catches with no restrictions commercially... YET, they told me this was in no way, shape, or form opening Long Lining in the EEZ. I learned about ICAT, Washington and Lobbyists those years and how FUUKTed up everything really is... and Pirate Diver with me having more than half your living years in all this you should chose your words carefully... I'm for anyone or anything that's for managing our fishing resources rationally and 100% against those who are managing it by greed and / or made up science.
hammerhead786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #70
Robert D.
Marisa D Fishing Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_diver View Post
I did know that, and I think is definitely a conflict of interest.

Rob, in reading your posts since I've come to Jax I have a lot of respect. You are very active, and you are not just one of the many that just spout off what they hear. I don't, however, feel as though I am naive. We both want the same thing. I really do think fishery management could stand for a big reworking...but it can't be done over night. I know that the view has changed a lot in education these days with people pushing excessive environmental opinions. I have always resisted those, and I try to get people to ease up. Obviously things can't be unregulated, but there needs to be some common/middle ground. Hopefully we all can work towards getting that. I hope that as I move forward in my career I can get involved in a way that helps on the science side for the good.

From the start I have been saying the powerhead restriction was bogus and that I really think ARS would be open (and SHOULD be reopened), and that I didn't really know much about catch shares issue.
Sounds good, maybe you can help stop the insanity. With your degree you can move forward and try to be part of SAFMC. Then we can change this BS from the inside out. Keep up the hard work and don't get frustrated and pessimistic like me...
Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #71
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead786 View Post
For those of you who may question my involvement I've been through this from start to "finish" with sword fishing years ago. It was a serious learning experience. I had no idea how far fishing/the fishery went until then. I had very close friends high up in NOAA that remain today. In fact back then I remember one of them telling me that they were opening Long Lining in the EEZ because that was the only way they could collect accurate data on our sword fishery. He also told me not to get excited about it ( I was passionate about saving the fishery ) because they were going to have a "NOAA payed observer-> probably making over 100 G's a year on each vessel they permitted to commence Long lining in the EEZ. He told me this was the ONLY way they could accurately asses the current swordfish stocks. The boats were to be commercial sword boats NOAA paid to fish with NOAA paid observers on board with the boats selling their catches with no restrictions commercially... YET, they told me this was in no way, shape, or form opening Long Lining in the EEZ. I learned about ICAT, Washington and Lobbyists those years and how FUUKTed up everything really is... and Pirate Diver with me having more than half your living years in all this you should chose your words carefully... I'm for anyone or anything that's for managing our fishing resources rationally and 100% against those who are managing it by greed and / or made up science.
I agree wholeheartedly, and if you felt I was questioning your involvement that was not my intent.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote