Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
OBLIGATED

Re: Possible endangered species sighting...Caribbean Monk Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
you know who's gonna be following small marine mammals if they come the the keys dont You?
JAWS!There have been sightings of seals on the east coast of floridah few years ago.Wasnt otters.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Plenty of white sharks already pass through the Keys. A lot more than people think. There has been at least 7 different sightings that I can think of just this year in the Keys. Think of how many weren't sighted.
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #18
otherxendxup
Dustin

I saw a hawaiian monk seal on the west coast of oahu once. It looked like a brown, half deflated, air mattress washed up on the beach.

After paddling in I walked over to it (a big no-no, but i didn't know at the time). The thing hissed at me and then waddled into the ocean. On land it looked to be about the consistency of a melted jello pudding pop and was really slow and clumsy. In the water the thing was scary fast. Pretty neat to see, although i would not want to share the waters here in the keys with them.

Maybe what they saw was an escaped pack of dachsunds that have taken to the water?

If it was otters though, you should find them, imagine how cool it would be to have an otter pelt skullcap to wear when your riding your motorcycle
otherxendxup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #19
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherxendxup View Post
the thing hissed at me and then waddled into the ocean..

imagine how cool it would be to have an otter pelt skullcap to wear when your riding your motorcycle
To be fair, is I saw your ugly mug coming up and bugging me while I was chillin at the beach I'd probably do the same thing

I already got a great hat it says Koah Spearguns on it, what I REALLY need is a monk seal wet suit, I hear those are all the rage.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
rexgear
Jose Debasa

Last time check... Monk seals were extincted... That would be awesome if they come back... that may explain the GW sightings.

rexgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
Seeco

that group behavior sounds just like otters
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

If Caribbean monk seals can come back out of extinction, then why not megalodon?

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories..._monkseal.html
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Not to disappoint but they were declared extinct in 2008 after an exhaustive 5 year search to find one. Granted, we thought the Coelocanth was extinct for YEARS until it was caught again in the Indian Ocean, sooo anything is possible, but still not likely.

Granted this is from WikiPedia, but "Through the first half of the twentieth century, Caribbean monk seal sightings became much more rare. In 1908 a small group of seals was seen at the once bustling Tortugas Islands.[10] Fishermen captured six seals in 1915, which were sent to Pensacola, Florida and eventually released.[18] A seal was killed near Key West, Florida in March 1922.[19] There were sightings of Caribbean monk seals on the Texas coast in 1926 and 1932.[20] The last seal recorded to be killed by humans was killed on the Pedro Cays in 1939.[21] Two more seals were seen on Drunken Mans Cay, just south of Kingston, Jamaica in November, 1949.[2] In 1952 the Caribbean monk seal was confirmed sighted for the last time at Serranilla Bank, between Jamaica and Nicaragua.[3]

Unconfirmed sightings of Caribbean monk seals by local fishermen and divers are relatively common in Haiti and Jamaica, but two recent scientific expeditions failed to find any sign of this animal. It is possible the mammal still exists, but some biologists strongly believe the sightings are of wandering hooded seals, which have been positively identified on archipelagos such as Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands."

Here is the listing from IUCN Redlist: http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/13655/0

And this is a link to a website dedicated to monk seal conservation (not just caribbean monk seals): http://www.monachus-guardian.org/factfiles/carib01.htm

The last CONFIRMED sighting was in 1952!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysKid View Post
Plenty of white sharks already pass through the Keys. A lot more than people think. There has been at least 7 different sightings that I can think of just this year in the Keys. Think of how many weren't sighted.
There were 10 I believe. I'll have to go back and get an exact tally from my records. Definitely a lot more than that passing through I'm sure.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #24
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
If Caribbean monk seals can come back out of extinction, then why not megalodon?

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories..._monkseal.html
Species "coming out of extinction" is not unheard of. Just google info on the Coelocanth. This is a species of fish with two living species that were rediscovered in the Indian Ocean, after they were originally thought to be extinct since the Cretaceous period.

As far as Megalodon. There is no doubt that it is extinct. WIthout getting into it TOO much, basically they would be in the Order of Lamniform sharks (same as whites, makos, porbeagles, salmon sharks) which are largely coastal species and are all slightly endothermic. Given that, plus it's large size, one would have been found a LOOOONG time ago.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote