Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #106
GhostBuster
Registered Muleigan

Re: Video of Big White Seabass School

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270Win View Post
HAHAHA! this thread is drawing out all the goons... when does summer officially start?

If you can call people out for "bad" thread titles, can I call you out on stupid ideas? Grace me with your duck hunting prowess and your plan to save the seabass...

To the OP, fantastic video... hope I get to see something like this one day (preferably with a gun in my hand).
i have probably killed more seabass than you have ducks.

the idea is no more ludicrous or enforceable than one that states you cannot release an abalone after popping it off the rocks to measure, unless that abalone is short....
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:00 AM   #107
270Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBuster View Post
i have probably killed more seabass than you have ducks.
The funny thing is, you picked the wrong person to say this to... Just take a walk through my recent post history. Regardless, it's irrelevant.

If you choose to count torn off fish towards your limit, good for you.... but you're missing the true reason for my post, which was to call you out on derailing good threads, and just being a pretentious asshole in general.
270Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:07 AM   #108
GhostBuster
Registered Muleigan

Quote:
The funny thing is, you picked the wrong person to say this to... Just take a walk through my recent post history. Regardless, it's irrelevant.

If you choose to count torn off fish towards your limit, good for you.... but you're missing the true reason for my post, which was to call you out on derailing good threads, and just being a pretentious asshole in general.
your avatar is a 10 foot lizard that you killed with a high powered rifle.

your arguments are invalid.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #109
270Win

Quote:
your avatar is a 10 foot lizard that you killed with a high powered rifle.

your arguments are invalid.
Your responses are childish, and wrong... by the way. I killed that 10 foot lizard in my avatar with a harpoon and handheld bangstick.

Anyways, in an attempt to bring this thread back to something productive... Albondiga, what settings do you use on your GoPro (cause the footage looks great)? Just got a new black edition and have been playing around with the settings extensively. So far, I have found that dropping the frame rate really helps with the low light footage. Thinking I'm going to use 1440P @ 24fps when the vis goes to shit, and either 1080p @60fps or 720P @120fps when the water's pretty clear (and hopefully get some sick slo-mo shots).
270Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #110
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
how did they monitor ted nugent when he downed ducks and failed to retrieve them, then "forgot" to count them towards his limit?

ive torn off 2, in my lifetime.
Dood, I tore off two last season

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:24 PM   #111
Michael J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
Dood, I tore off two last season
Sure ya wanna put that out here?

Whats your point?

That you hunt so much ,or that your a bad shot?

MJ.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #112
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Anyways, in an attempt to bring this thread back to something productive... Albondiga, what settings do you use on your GoPro (cause the footage looks great)? Just got a new black edition and have been playing around with the settings extensively. So far, I have found that dropping the frame rate really helps with the low light footage. Thinking I'm going to use 1440P @ 24fps when the vis goes to shit, and either 1080p @60fps or 720P @120fps when the water's pretty clear (and hopefully get some sick slo-mo shots).
Thanks.
I have the older Gopro 2, so my experience in settings may not be 100% valid to your camera. My camera has the option of 720 at 30 or 60 fps, 1080 at 30fps, and 960 at 30fps. I found the 960 unsatisfactory and never use it. 1080 at 30 gives nice video, but I found it blurred with the action of spearfishing and my head movement. The 60 fps smoothed out the action and I could also reduce speed by a half and maintain quality. Youtube only posts at 30 frames per second, so my original files always look slightly better than the posted video.

You will have to test your camera settings out, but if I had your camera I would probably use 1080 @60 primarily. I believe 24fps is the frame rate for television, so Gopro put that as an option for your camera so people making tv shows would not have to convert video files. If it gives you better low light results, I say go for it on those murky days.

Do you have a Youtube channel? Could you post the link? I want to check out your stuff.
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #113
growingupninja
Lance

Sweet vid, thanks for posting.

Before the storm I actually got schooled by about 12 to 20 tankers. Kinda funny, really fishy day, offshore but shallowish water (35'). I was hunting ling on the bottom with a 50cm peashooter while my buddy was running around with my giant rail gun.

I do a drop and spot three big beautiful WSB off in the murk. Of course I get all giddy and pop up to task my buddy with shooting one of them since he's got the fish cannon, but the chuckle-headed imbecile has already destroyed our only slip-tip... he swims over holding up a big ling and is like, 'sorry dude but isn't this a nice fish?'

I give him a proper verbal flogging while he swims back to the boat and we have a good laugh over his perfect timing.

And then I do another drop, start poking around on the bottom, look up and see a wall of giant seabass. I immediately fall in with them and start looking for the SMALLEST one, convinced that if I could get a perfect shot on a little one, I might have a chance. No go, they're all 30 to 60 lbs. I did two full 360's trying to line up a shot as the school circled me until they finally took off....
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #114
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
Sweet vid, thanks for posting.

Before the storm I actually got schooled by about 12 to 20 tankers. Kinda funny, really fishy day, offshore but shallowish water (35'). I was hunting ling on the bottom with a 50cm peashooter while my buddy was running around with my giant rail gun.

I do a drop and spot three big beautiful WSB off in the murk. Of course I get all giddy and pop up to task my buddy with shooting one of them since he's got the fish cannon, but the chuckle-headed imbecile has already destroyed our only slip-tip... he swims over holding up a big ling and is like, 'sorry dude but isn't this a nice fish?'

I give him a proper verbal flogging while he swims back to the boat and we have a good laugh over his perfect timing.

And then I do another drop, start poking around on the bottom, look up and see a wall of giant seabass. I immediately fall in with them and start looking for the SMALLEST one, convinced that if I could get a perfect shot on a little one, I might have a chance. No go, they're all 30 to 60 lbs. I did two full 360's trying to line up a shot as the school circled me until they finally took off....
Sweet story! Such a cool sight even if you did not have the right gun. Did you manage to get any video? I hope it was a really nice lingcod, for the expense.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #115
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albondiga View Post
Sweet story! Such a cool sight even if you did not have the right gun. Did you manage to get any video? I hope it was a really nice lingcod, for the expense.
Yeah, I always love seeing the big ones. Makes me feel blessed all over. I've been in the bluewater before and had small schools of big ones broadside me, but this the first time I've ever been at the center and had them hurricane me the way yellowtail do. I'm more of a bottom hunter so I stumble onto them all the time when I'm not rigged properly. They have very limited awareness of stuff coming up from underneath them...

We got some footage of ling (we both ended up limiting that day) but that was the last either of saw of the WSB. I don't know if we'll use the ling footage--maybe, but we're planning to do a more produced shoot on a much, much deeper spot with bigger ling.
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #116
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
Yeah, I always love seeing the big ones. Makes me feel blessed all over. I've been in the bluewater before and had small schools of big ones broadside me, but this the first time I've ever been at the center and had them hurricane me the way yellowtail do. I'm more of a bottom hunter so I stumble onto them all the time when I'm not rigged properly. They have very limited awareness of stuff coming up from underneath them...

We got some footage of ling (we both ended up limiting that day) but that was the last either of saw of the WSB. I don't know if we'll use the ling footage--maybe, but we're planning to do a more produced shoot on a much, much deeper spot with bigger ling.
Sounds fun. Good luck with the shoot.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #117
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:

Found some additional information about uploading to Youtube and frame rates from:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

It says "Frame rates should match the source material. For example, content shot in 24fps should be encoded and uploaded at 24fps. Content recorded at 30fps should be uploaded at 30fps. Content shot in 720p60, should be uploaded at 720p60. Content at 1080i 60, should be deinterlaced, going from 60 interlaced fields per second to 30 progressive frames per second before uploading".