Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #31
asd

Re: Riffe Metal Tech Mach 5... reviews?

I contacted Riffe usa, and they gave me a few different mach 5 suppliers email, but it was Austins dive centre that had the best service;

paid $730 us
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #32
JJohansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bward View Post
Does anyone have a review of this gun they would like to share?

Interested in possibly picking one up for bluewater/larger fish. Cam has great things to say about it but I wanted an "unbiased" opinion. They don't seem to carry the gun in Southern California shops so I can't get my hands on it before I order it. Looking for something with the same feel as a euro but with the power and stability to take down larger fish efficiently. Seems like this could be a good candidate.

For Cam's review & more pics: http://www.spearblog.com/2011/01/28/metal-tech-mach-5/
I don't have the Riffe gun, but I was looking for a gun like you described- euro gun style that could shoot three bands with a 5/16. I never liked 25lb tuna guns shooting 3/8 shafts- I think they are way overkill 99% of the time.

I ended up with an Aimrite King Venom 140cm. It shoots a 7.5mm or 5/16 shaft with three (I know a guys that shoots four) bands. If I remember right I bought it for about 750.

I did make some changes to suit it more to me- I went from 3 5/8 bands to three 9/16 to reduce recoil. I also went from a 5/8 to a 7.5mm. So far I have been very happy with the gun. It comes into its own hunting doggies where you often need to dive past 80' all day.

I think the riffe would preform just as well, maybe less recoil but harder to swing. Price seems a bit steep, and it is rather ugly.
JJohansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #33
Jamil
Red Sea...Rocks!

Send a message via MSN to Jamil

Just for me to understand JJohansen; pls. Aren't you the manufacturer or a stakeholder with Aimrite or the handle/trigger they use? your above post hints otherwise! I might be wrong.

I never tried Aimrite but i know riffe and aimrite are very different. one is viewed as a fat steady gun and the other is a sleek light rail gun. Each has its advantages and disadvantage and their crowd. I for one will never use rail gun as my main (but that’s just me). I know lots of guys who prefer one fat band over a slim gun and shoot loads of fish too.

Bward, MTR5 is a solid, yes bulky = zero recoil, and care free gun that is from my experience. Riffe will have guns setup differently and that will make the price vary. The price you get might include a reel, fatter band, longer shaft etc. just double check. Plus the paduk wings will add to the price. If you don’t want to pay for that, just get the gun without it and have some friend make the wings for you (from any good cheap wood and seal with epoxy). I know it sounds hard but trust me its easy.

all guns spoken about here are good guns, provided they shoot where you aim, each will require a different handling, aiming and setup technique. That is why you find ppl liking or dising a specific gun (cuz they didn’t figure those techniques out).
Jamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #34
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

What is the advantage of this ugly piece of wood and metal compared to the standard series? Say a Baja Plus speargun? They´re almost the same price. The gun looks like heavily ""homemade" modified.Just take a standard 5 and add homemade wings and you´ll end up with an all around better rig for the same price.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #35
JJohansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamil View Post
Just for me to understand JJohansen; pls. Aren't you the manufacturer or a stakeholder with Aimrite or the handle/trigger they use? your above post hints otherwise! I might be wrong.

I never tried Aimrite but i know riffe and aimrite are very different. one is viewed as a fat steady gun and the other is a sleek light rail gun. Each has its advantages and disadvantage and their crowd. I for one will never use rail gun as my main (but that’s just me). I know lots of guys who prefer one fat band over a slim gun and shoot loads of fish too.

Bward, MTR5 is a solid, yes bulky = zero recoil, and care free gun that is from my experience. Riffe will have guns setup differently and that will make the price vary. The price you get might include a reel, fatter band, longer shaft etc. just double check. Plus the paduk wings will add to the price. If you don’t want to pay for that, just get the gun without it and have some friend make the wings for you (from any good cheap wood and seal with epoxy). I know it sounds hard but trust me its easy.

all guns spoken about here are good guns, provided they shoot where you aim, each will require a different handling, aiming and setup technique. That is why you find ppl liking or dising a specific gun (cuz they didn’t figure those techniques out).
Nope, no ties to aimrite at all. Just a guy that uses their gun. I also use and love Riffe gear. For example, the Riffe three ATM float is just about the most important part of my setup, along with my Riffe bungiee.

As far as the euro gun Vs. Riffe - I think that the King Venom that I use (and their are several other brands from europe) is made to bridge the gap from your traditional euro to a more robust bluewater gun. Zero recoil is good, but I look at it this way- On any given dog-catching day I might make 100 dives over say 70' with the gun. I might pull the trigger twice. In my mind, I would rather have a slightly lighter gun and take a bit more recoil.

I really dont see anything that separates the new Riffe gun from any other rear handled, three band gun with wings. Its a good, solid design that has been around a long time. Kirkconnell has shot a hell of a nice fish with it, but I suspect he would have done just as well with any other quality rear handled gun with wings.
JJohansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #36
Jamil
Red Sea...Rocks!

Send a message via MSN to Jamil

My bad dude. I am sorry.
Jamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #37
bward
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamil View Post
This is for the Metal Tech Mach 5 not the Metal Tech #5. The Mach 5 has a lower profile aluminum barrel with Padauk wings mounted and is a rear handle while the standard Metal Tech #5, as I'm sure you know, is "bulkier" and a mid-handle setup.

I was drawn to the Mach 5 because of the lower profile barrel, rear handle, and most importantly, able to efficiently shoot a 5/16 shaft without a large amount of recoil. Paudak is much more cost effective than the Teak so the jump in price seamed a little crazy to me.
bward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #38
bward
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster slayer View Post
What is the advantage of this ugly piece of wood and metal compared to the standard series? Say a Baja Plus speargun? They´re almost the same price. The gun looks like heavily ""homemade" modified.Just take a standard 5 and add homemade wings and you´ll end up with an all around better rig for the same price.
The advantage was definitely the cost, at first. I was originally told by the shop the gun was selling for $630. A 62" rear handled gun that can effectively shoot a 5/16 shaft with almost zero recoil... for that price? Sold. Unfortunately, they were mistaken on the price and it jumped to around $920. Not worth it anymore, to me anyways.

The Standard #5 with the wing kit would be around $960 but that is a 67". The Standard #4 would be around $900 and is 61", closer to what I am looking for as far as length goes. I might as well get another custom Mori or another Wong for that price though.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #39
bward
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohansen View Post
I never liked 25lb tuna guns shooting 3/8 shafts- I think they are way overkill 99% of the time.
Definitely agree with you.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #40
bward
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd View Post
I contacted Riffe usa, and they gave me a few different mach 5 suppliers email, but it was Austins dive centre that had the best service;

paid $730 us
Austins is definitely a top notch online store. Nothing but great service from those guys. That price seems a little more in the ball park for that gun.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #41
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bward View Post
The advantage was definitely the cost, at first. I was originally told by the shop the gun was selling for $630. A 62" rear handled gun that can effectively shoot a 5/16 shaft with almost zero recoil... for that price? Sold. Unfortunately, they were mistaken on the price and it jumped to around $920. Not worth it anymore, to me anyways.

The Standard #5 with the wing kit would be around $960 but that is a 67". The Standard #4 would be around $900 and is 61", closer to what I am looking for as far as length goes. I might as well get another custom Mori or another Wong for that price though.

Exactly. Right now there´s someone offering a Wong Ono for 650. Solid BW gun.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #42
phil herranen

Just for the record the mt mach5 is not a true rear handle .it is a mid handle with a very short push rod and remote trigger ( Wong calls it a rear +) .a rear handle uses the actual trigger mech to fire the gun

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #43
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Bump. Anyone have this gun now that wouldnt mind writing a review? I have a few different choices for my next wahoo gun and the Mach 5 is one of them. Anyone shoot any wahoo or any Pelagic fish with them?
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #44
Faisal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysKid View Post
Bump. Anyone have this gun now that wouldnt mind writing a review? I have a few different choices for my next wahoo gun and the Mach 5 is one of them. Anyone shoot any wahoo or any Pelagic fish with them?
I have this gun and shot a few pelagics with it, the guns is absolutley amazing, extremely accurate and no recoil with 3 5/8 bands and a 65inch 5/16shaft and tracking is descent too. As i said before the only drawback is its bulkiness which bothers me when i have to swim long distances with the gun. But to tell you the truth that is overwieghed by the fact that when i see a fish i am confident i am going to nail it!

If you were going to drift dive then the bulkiness would not be an issue in my opinion.
Faisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #45
popgun pete

I put this question on a new thread, but looking back maybe one of you guys can provide the answer. "Does anyone know the cross-sectional dimensions of the low profile Metal Tech barrel used on the rear handle models. My mid-handle Metal Tech stock measures at 1-1/8" wide and 1-3/4" high, 1-7/8" if you include the enclosed track, so what are the equivalent measurements on the low profile barrel? I have checked around on the web, but found no info to date. The Riffe 2011 parts list only shows the lengths which are the same for both mid and rear handle Metal Tech series."

There is a #4, #4S, #5, #5S and the Mach 5 MT, which is the gun with Padauk wings and enclosed track, listed in the rear handle Metal Tech "low profile" series. What qualifies the gun as "low profile" is what I am trying to figure out.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=119675

It now appears from doing some reading of past posts (see above) that the alloy barrel extrusion has not been changed at such, instead it is just the solid "D" (tipped on its side) shaped base on the bottom of the extrusion cross-section that has been machined back to remove some material without breaking into the hollow rectangular core of the extrusion situated above it. That base usually provides a sufficient depth of metal for the various screw threaded holes and milled out recesses that the grip handle and other items fit into for their precise positioning and attachment on the bottom of the Metal Tech gun.

Last edited by popgun pete; 09-05-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: found some more info
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote