Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
mattt

Spear tip adapter?

I was looking at the new mako pole spears and i noticed that the end of the pole spear is only able to screw in a "male" spear tip. I saw the A B Biller had adapters that they sold but I didn't see a "female" to "male" adapter. I was wondering if anyone here has one or knows where i can get one.
mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Sammy925

Re: Spear tip adapter?

You could just go the hardware store and get a bolt that fits in it. Then get a nut that fits on the bolt and screw it on close to the bolt head. Put it in a vise and hack the bolt head off. Grind or file the burr off the hacked end. Then unscrew the nut over the hacked end to fix the thread. Thread it in the pole spear with blue loctite. Done.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
florfreediver

Not knowing what female thread Mako has, at the end of the pole spear, it is difficult to advise what sort of adapter you need.

Many pole spears use 5/16" shanks, some with 5/16th male thread and some with 6mm male thread.

You may need a 5/16" male thread to 6mm female thread adapter, if you want to screw in a 6mm male threaded tip.

However whatever adapter you need, should be readily available from your nearest LDS.

Although we do not sell Mako Polespears, Florida Freedivers should have the adapter needed.

Mike.
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Uncwil

I just purchased the new mako travel pole spear and it looks like the threads are about 12mm. They are simply huge. There is no adapter out there that I am aware of to make this work with 6mm tips. It is unfortunate, and I likely would of bought the other model, the big game polespear, just to get the 6mm threads. I'm not a fan of the tip it came with but it looks like I'm stuck with it for the time being til I figure out how to get a 6mm on there, several pieces of hardware might be needed. I emailed mako to ask the actually thread size and they replied "6mm" which is for the big game pole spear, not the travel pole spear. Any thoughts on how to make an adapter would be appreciated. Thanks.
Uncwil is offline   Reply With Quote