Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
zenspearo

Sand Dollar SCI/Catalina Report June 22/23

As usual, George and crew put on a great trip. While things were a little slow, they went all over the place looking for fish.

At San Clemente, we encountered vis in the 15-50 range. I spent all day the first day following my son around with a camera so my score was zilch unless you count about two hours of footage. Super nice condition topside as well, especially when the sun comes out.

At Catalina, we went to 3 different spots looking for fish. Vis was again variable 15-40. In general, the pelagics weren't fully cooperating but everyone had a good time and my son probably made money off the trip by filling up on the food. Some giant calicos were shot. A YT and a WSB were also shot.

But I have to say again that the crew did everything they could and burned up some serious miles looking for fish so kudos to them. Food and service were very spearo-friendly and outstanding.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. My son Eric votes this trip a thumbs-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Offshore June 2013_001.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	192050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Offshore June 2013_003.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	192051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Offshore June 2013_004.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	192052  

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
YakAtak
Izabella's Dad

Send a message via Yahoo to YakAtak
Re: Sand Dollar SCI/Catalina Report June 22/23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenspearo View Post
My son Eric votes this trip a thumbs-up.
Eat...sleep...play video games...dive...eat...sleep...play video games...watch movie..sleep...eat..eat..eat..sleep...

C'mon what's not to like!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakAtak View Post
Eat...sleep...play video games...dive...eat...sleep...play video games...watch movie..sleep...eat..eat..eat..sleep...

C'mon what's not to like!!!
so you only got ONE dive in Al?? They definately treat you well on that boat, and George burns the gas to get you on the fish!

Thanks for the report Joe, gonna try and make the next two months Cortez trips!
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
bowfront26

Not quite as much action as we were hoping but fish were seen. I had a great time, which is to be expected on this boat. Nice meeting you and your son Joe and everyone else on the boat. I'm counting down the days until the July trip. Thanks again George and crew.
bowfront26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Lompoc Local
Errin

Nice work on the WSB Tony.

And of course, the BassMaster Matt!

How big were the bass?

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
fishstew

The bass I shot werent too impressive, maybe a couple 4 pounders in there but I spent the whole trip looking for pelagics and I only shot a few bass that I found out in the open. I wish I would have spent a little time on the reefs with my bass gun but I was really fired up for some big fish so I tried to put in as much work as I could. The big bass were definitely there though like usual. I did spot a few yellows at Catalina on day 2 and a school of the biggest bonito ive ever seen, but most of the fish seemed to be down near the bottom and not really coming in close enough for a shot. The water was a little murky and I felt like they were there hanging just out of sight. I did get buzzed by 4 really big yellows in super tight to the beach at the end of the first day. I was in the kelp looking for a school of white seabass that george had spotted earlier when I found a really big sand patch in the kelp close to the beach and I was kneeling on the bottom in 18ft taking a look for some halibut when they came right over my right shoulder. Completely took me by surprise and they were moving too fast for me to swing on them for a shot and just as fast as they showed up they swam over a boulder into the eel grass and disappeared. I couldnt believe how close they were to the beach and I was definitely not ready.

The low fish count definitely was not due to lack of effort on George's part. Like always he did everything possible to put us on the fish and gave plenty of good advice, I feel like I learn something every time I go out on his boat. Conditions just werent on our side the way we were hoping, but everyone on the boat had a great time and as usual the crew took great care of us.

Thanks again George! Cant wait to do it again!!!
fishstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Looks like a damn fun trip
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstew View Post
The bass I shot werent too impressive, maybe a couple 4 pounders in there but I spent the whole trip looking for pelagics and I only shot a few bass that I found out in the open. I wish I would have spent a little time on the reefs with my bass gun but I was really fired up for some big fish so I tried to put in as much work as I could. The big bass were definitely there though like usual. I did spot a few yellows at Catalina on day 2 and a school of the biggest bonito ive ever seen, but most of the fish seemed to be down near the bottom and not really coming in close enough for a shot. The water was a little murky and I felt like they were there hanging just out of sight. I did get buzzed by 4 really big yellows in super tight to the beach at the end of the first day. I was in the kelp looking for a school of white seabass that george had spotted earlier when I found a really big sand patch in the kelp close to the beach and I was kneeling on the bottom in 18ft taking a look for some halibut when they came right over my right shoulder. Completely took me by surprise and they were moving too fast for me to swing on them for a shot and just as fast as they showed up they swam over a boulder into the eel grass and disappeared. I couldnt believe how close they were to the beach and I was definitely not ready.

The low fish count definitely was not due to lack of effort on George's part. Like always he did everything possible to put us on the fish and gave plenty of good advice, I feel like I learn something every time I go out on his boat. Conditions just werent on our side the way we were hoping, but everyone on the boat had a great time and as usual the crew took great care of us.

Thanks again George! Cant wait to do it again!!!
You would have landed bigger bass with a little friendly competition, I'm sure

Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
fishstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
You would have landed bigger bass with a little friendly competition, I'm sure
Definitely, I did see some real pigs out there but I wasnt about to shoot my Mori tip into a hole!!!

If you were there I would have taken an hour out of my pelagic hunting to school you though. Haha!
fishstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
spearsamohi

No yellows for me but we did slay the calicos, got some whitefish at SCI too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SCI.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	192067  
spearsamohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
spear007

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstew View Post
I was in the kelp looking for a school of white seabass that george had spotted earlier when I found a really big sand patch in the kelp close to the beach and I was kneeling on the bottom in 18ft taking a look for some halibut when they came right over my right shoulder. Completely took me by surprise and they were moving too fast for me to swing on them for a shot and just as fast as they showed up they swam over a boulder into the eel grass and disappeared. I couldnt believe how close they were to the beach and I was definitely not ready.
i have seen decent YT come under the pier at the isthmus just before dark, seems like they do a sweep.
spear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearsamohi View Post
No yellows for me but we did slay the calicos, got some whitefish at SCI too.
Can you post a bigger picture? That one is too small to view - would like to see your bass. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
Zenon

Great trip. My first.
Definately won't be the last.
Great boat, crew, and a fun group of divers!
Was great to put in perspective some of the spots people mention out at the islands.
Zenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
spearsamohi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
Can you post a bigger picture? That one is too small to view - would like to see your bass. Thanks.
Here yah go, i passed up on a monster at SCI but i was looking for c bass.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SCI@.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	192074  
spearsamohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Cameronv
Ando26

Nice job on the yellow, and wsb.

Got a nice calico. The trip was very fun, and the boat/crew were awesome. Met some really cool guys and will always remember the trip.

Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote