Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-29-2016, 11:33 PM   #1
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Here fishy fishy..... Nice FISHY...!!

Getting close to home, eh??
We have said it for years; protecting the food source, and the ultimate predator will lead to more unpleasant encounters between man and fang-fish.

And so it happened, right up the beach from Crystal Cove today.
She will survive, and the shark is still around somewhere.

Dive careful, and REMEMBER- self defense in ANY way possible is perfectly OK when dealing with a dangerous predator. If it means you just swim off, and both go their separate ways? Great. If it means you donate a spear shaft to the 'Stake a Fish' foundation? Send it, and send it well..... you only get one shot. It is highly unlikely it would hurt the shark, but it might just spook it and send it packing, which is the preferred outcome.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/aut...Kz&ocid=ASUDHP
Old 05-29-2016, 11:49 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Here fishy fishy..... Nice FISHY...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
. If it means you donate a spear shaft to the 'Stake a Fish' foundation? Send it, and send it well..... you only get one shot. It is highly unlikely it would hurt the shark, but it might just spook it and send it packing, which is the preferred outcome.
The choice between the shark's life and mine? That's a no brainer....or uh I should've said 'brainer'. That's not such an easy shot though. A spear through the gills is the go to spot when they don't leave you a choice.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #3
FWFishSlayer

crap. wish I wouldnt have opened this thread. Thats very close to where I will be staying (and diving) next week.
FWFishSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:40 AM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWFishSlayer View Post
crap. wish I wouldnt have opened this thread. Thats very close to where I will be staying (and diving) next week.
No worries, you're much more likely to die in a car crash on the way there.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #5
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

I'm waiting for a tiger to get too uppity with me, gonna send the shaft straight through the closer eyeball
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Nothing to worry about......he's not hungry. He Just ate.....
Old 05-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #7
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
I'm waiting for a tiger to get too uppity with me, gonna send the shaft straight through the closer eyeball
I have a lot of family on Oahu. My sister moved over there in 1963, married a native, and had six kids. One of my nephews was a professional diver for many years. Had a number of encounters with tigers. Didn't particularly like them, but said they were mild compared to the one encounter he had with a GW...Just sayin'.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
GhostApe

Quote:
The viz might keep you out more than the big gray fellow this week, but if you can make it out you should. I think divers are generally too pointy and weird looking for medium-size sharks to mess with. They probably see us and swim away a lot more than we realize.
GhostApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #9
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Evidently the bite radius was from her shoulder down to her HIP.
That's no adolescent fish. She's lucky to have survived the Folger's taste test.....
Old 06-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #10
thereefgeek
Soon-to-be ex-patriot

Can't hate on something that's been doing what it does for the last 40 million years.

Glad she's ok none the less....
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #11
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereefgeek View Post
Can't hate on something that's been doing what it does for the last 40 million years.

Glad she's ok none the less....
She was an older lady, yes.
But to say she was 400 million years old is a bit misogynistic, don't ya think???!!!!
Old 06-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #12
tailsurfer

I was out at SA river jetties surfing yesterday... long story, but short story is I did not see a shark, but did see a seal alive way 100yeards outside swimming, surf was good and big and I was only person out I figured it was safe. 10 min later the head of seal floated by around 50yards outside and the body of a seal was being eaten by several SEA-Gulls about 20ft from that... something killed it and I got in as quick as FFFF, when I saw the body was all chewd up... I didn't get close enough to see if I could see bite marks I just got out... told the Lifeguard and he got binoculars and confirmed that "yep that's deff a seal head floating in the water" He radioed it in, I heard the radio chatter increase as I walked away...

Saw 2 fishing boats 2 miles out on the pipe and that was it, I am betting it was a shark, if not for the attack 4 days ago, I would have stayed out, I only was in water for 20 min, no surfers in 1/2 mile and 5-8ft A-frames. I actually would have preferred a crowd... to even the odds.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:35 AM   #13
Desert Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
I just got back from Maui last week. Very windy and lower visibility than normal. But whenever I am there, I always ask the local spearos if they had ever seen a tiger shark while diving. Surprisingly most said no. But then again, tigers have bit tourists on their first visit to Hawaii.
Desert Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote