Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #31
jmiley

Re: Posession (Trick Question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogger View Post
I really want to get to the bottom of this question. Jmiley ( Brett ) is saying that in Fl., you cannot have in your possesion (freezer ) more than a 2 day bag limit, correct ?? I fully understand the possesion rules while on the water or during transport. Sooooo Jmiley, lets say for argument sake I have 4 certified and salt water licensed divers living at my home.I can only have a 2 day bag limit for 1 person? or 4 ? What about shrimping ? When the shrimp are running, we go 2-3 times per week. The recreational limit is 5 gallons per day ( 24 hrs )per boat. Are you saying I can only have a 2 day limit in my freezer at any given time ? IDTS. FWC doesn't say anything about after you get your catch home. I believe "possesion" rule applies only while on the water or in transport.
It isn't my law, it is the FWC's law.

As far as how much you have in your freezer and the amount of divers in your house, it would be 2 days posession for each person, but only in extreme cases is the FWC going to look in someones freezer.

The posession law is very clear as to when it applies and it isn't just on the water or transportation.

A guy got busted for having 1,000 lobster tails in his freezer at home.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #32
Mr Paul
Queerboard Kook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiley View Post
A guy got busted for having 1,000 lobster tails in his freezer at home.
Yes, but he was also caught poaching...there's a big difference. If you get caught poaching, and or taking short lobster, they have the right to search your house and freezer. Otherwise they have no right to search anything.
Mr Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #33
jmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paul View Post
Yes, but he was also caught poaching...there's a big difference. If you get caught poaching, and or taking short lobster, they have the right to search your house and freezer. Otherwise they have no right to search anything.
In Florida if the FWC has reason to suspect you have game in your house they can search it, you don't have to get caught poaching.

If they catch you shooting into someone elses limit that may give the FWC enough reason to search your house.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #34
Mr Paul
Queerboard Kook

Quote:
In Florida if the FWC has reason to suspect you have game in your house they can search it, you don't have to get caught poaching.

If they catch you shooting into someone elses limit that may give the FWC enough reason to search your house.
I don't believe you, im gonna ask Bill Mac.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #35
jmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paul View Post
I don't believe you, im gonna ask Bill Mac.
I don't think Billy Mac is going to be as knowledgeable about Florida law as I am.

Since you don't believe me do your own research.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #36
seadogger

ok....I just got off the phone with a friend from fwc... He says...after you leave the boat ramp and get your shit in the freezer, it doesn't matter how much fish you have. I think the 1000 lobster tails is pretty obvious of illegal activity though !! As long as you are legal on the water and during transport, then you are ok with what ever you have in your freezer. If you are selling it out of your house without proper licenses, then you are asking for trouble. I am done with this thread. DIVE ON !!!!
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #37
UaVaj

Quote:
ok....I just got off the phone with a friend from fwc... He says...after you leave the boat ramp and get your shit in the freezer, it doesn't matter how much fish you have. I think the 1000 lobster tails is pretty obvious of illegal activity though !! As long as you are legal on the water and during transport, then you are ok with what ever you have in your freezer. If you are selling it out of your house without proper licenses, then you are asking for trouble. I am done with this thread. DIVE ON !!!!
That is soooo sad. Even FWC themselves do not have a clue of the acutal law they are enforcing.

BTW 1000 lobster isn't hard to get. If you have two diver in a household and can fish everday. Only take 84 days.

For now - jmiley is on the right track - just not hitting the nail on the head. (for florida)
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #38
seadogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UaVaj View Post
That is soooo sad. Even FWC themselves do not have a clue of the acutal law they are enforcing.

BTW 1000 lobster isn't hard to get. If you have two diver in a household and can fish everday. Only take 84 days.

For now - jmiley is on the right track - just not hitting the nail on the head. (for florida)
I agree with Jmiley on the first two questions. What quantity you have in your freezer as long as you are not poaching or selling illegally is none of ANYONE'S buisness. As far as the 1,000 lobsters ?? yeah, theoretically if you have two divers and blah blah blah, it's possible but I haven't seen a single month where conditions allowed me to dive every day AND get my quota of bugs or fish. If that was the case I would be giving up my real job and dive for a living !! POINT is...know the law, shoot your limits and don't give fwc any cause to come to your house !! Happy hunting guys/ gals

Last edited by seadogger; 03-07-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #39
pernicia

Quote:
That is soooo sad. Even FWC themselves do not have a clue of the acutal law they are enforcing.)

that goes for every law enforcement agency.

Can we get a final answer for this, and the source?
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #40
seadogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernicia View Post

that goes for every law enforcement agency.

Can we get a final answer for this, and the source?
I gave it to you !! from a fwc officer.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #41
UaVaj

Quote:
who apparently does NOT know the law.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #42
pernicia

Quote:
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #43
jmiley

Quote:
He does not understand the law, which is not uncommon.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:32 AM   #44
seadogger

Quote:
If you know the law, then show me where it says about limits at your home. This is a thread that has come up time and time again which seems to go no where because there is no definitive answer as long as you don't do something stupid. Here is the law under Fl. possession limits.

1.Once the fish are processed and placed in a freezer ( not cooler )at a residence (e.g,their permanent home, a mobile home or motel catering to anglers ), they become a food product. From that point on there is no longer a limit on them. So for instance, if someone is fishing all winter and keeps processing their catch and adding fish to their freezer, then puts them on ice to transport somewhere else, then they can exceed their possession limit.

2.Commercial quantities are defined as greater than 150 lbs, regardless of proven intent to sell or method of harvest.

This is the law my friends !! I wrote this verbatum from the fwc rules and regs.

Last edited by seadogger; 03-08-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #45
Mr Paul
Queerboard Kook

Quote:
Quote:
He does not understand the law, which is not uncommon.
Hey ladies, next time you're preaching laws, make sure you know what they actually are before you point fingers at other people for not knowing.