Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #31
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Re: Proposal to allow limited fish trapping to return to the Gulf.

Thanks Rich for the information.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #32
Summerland Key

That same article was in the Key West Citizen a couple of days ago.
It is definitely a worldwide problem.

I am still amazed that this fish trap issue is even coming again, disappointed that some of the enviornmental groups that did not help years ago are still not helping now, and annoyed that I have to drive all they way to St. Pete. to argue about fish traps again.

I think a lot of really knowledgeable folks, like Billy Causey, will be at this meeting. Billy knows the fish trap issue well and was always there in the past to help. Don
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #33
Biminibill

I had a look at The Ocean Conservancy's rather revealing web site. After reading their mission statement it's obvious that, in the Gulf at least, they're no longer an environmental organization but rather a commercial fishing industry advocacy group, right along with OFF, SOFA, SEF, MCCF etc. Their site even contains an endorsement from a big seafood wholesale company in Chicago. One has to wonder if their sudden push to "be in partnership with business leaders" as it pertains to fishery regulation is not influenced by a reported $1.9 million grant from the Walton Family Foundation (Walmart and Sam's Club). Just how much fish IS pushed through those outlets anyway? Also interesting is the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) promoting this "workshop on fish traps".....a reported $4.9 million received from the Walton Family Foundation. Oceana's in there, too but as yet we don't know why and they don't return our calls. Money talks.......now let's see what they do after we bring to them the reality of fish trapping.

If you have time on the 15th of December stop by and add your two cents. The workshop will be held at FMRI in St. Pete. 10AM-3PM, 100 8th Avenue SE

Read TOC's mission statement on Gulf fisheries at:
http://www.oceanconservancy.org/site...pdf?docID=3561
Biminibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #34
Biminibill

I second what Tony said, Rich...thanks for posting the article.

Bill
Biminibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #35
Ed Walker

Considering that they gave trappers years in the "phase out" to find other ways to catch fish I cant believe they are even considering allowing the gear right back in. Hundreds of hook and line commercial guys got essentially kicked out of the fishery with the IFQ program, the Total Allowable Catch is a fraction of what it used to be, yet we are going to bring back fish trapping for the big quota holders to help them fill thier quota faster? Thats just crazy. I cant believe that this would be passed by the Gulf Council although stranger things have happend I suppose.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #36
hau
peskadot

Biminibill and all involved----I just wanted to say thank you for your anti-fishtrapping efforts. I appreciate all the time and effort that you put into this.
Thank you
Old 12-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #37
Summerland Key

I just got back home after attending the fish trap meeting in St. Pete. Ed is absolutely correct in everything he said above. The smaller, and more traditional grouper/snapper fishermen basically got kicked out of the fishery with the ITQ program. Now,some of those remaining, longliners with over 40,000 pounds average annual landings, want to be able to use fish traps to catch red grouper.
There were two "spearfishermen" that stood up and spoke in favor of allowing fish traps to return to the gulf. What the hell was with that? Don
Old 12-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #38
jmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerland Key View Post
I just got back home after attending the fish trap meeting in St. Pete. Ed is absolutely correct in everything he said above. The smaller, and more traditional grouper/snapper fishermen basically got kicked out of the fishery with the ITQ program. Now,some of those remaining, longliners with over 40,000 pounds average annual landings, want to be able to use fish traps to catch red grouper.
There were two "spearfishermen" that stood up and spoke in favor of allowing fish traps to return to the gulf. What the hell was with that? Don
Whi were the 2 spearfishermen?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #39
Summerland Key

Bret:

I will send you a PM on those two.
Denny recorded the meeting, so it should be clear who said what. Don

Last edited by Summerland Key; 12-17-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #40
KEYSKILLER
Your Daddy

I agree 100%, no fish traps ever again, NO WAY.

I still find old fish traps off of Key West, they are beat down, but still easily identifiable.

Could get pictures if you like.

Also could you post up the video of the traps off of the Kendrick, interested in seeing that.

Thanks
Brad
Old 12-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #41
inletsurf

Its nice to finally have everyone agree on something.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #42
Summerland Key

Brad:

The Kendrick video I have is on old VHS tape. I did show it at the St. Pete. meeting and the fish trap proponents certainly did not like it.
I really do not know how to get it into a form that can be posted. If you know how to do it, let's do it. I would like everyone to see just how damanging this gear can be. Don
Old 12-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #43
jmiley

Quote:
Bret:

I will send you a PM on those two.
Denny recorded the meeting, so it should be clear who said what. Don
Thanks,

Kind of shocking but not really suprised that the person you named would say something like that, you never know what he is going to come up with.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #44
KEYSKILLER
Your Daddy

Quote:
Brad:

The Kendrick video I have is on old VHS tape. I did show it at the St. Pete. meeting and the fish trap proponents certainly did not like it.
I really do not know how to get it into a form that can be posted. If you know how to do it, let's do it. I would like everyone to see just how damanging this gear can be. Don
Don

Got your pm before I read this. Sent you an additional pm.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #45
RichT

I watched/listened to the FRA broadcast from my desk at work.
I am still against fish traps after watching the presentation but to be fair it did sound like the commercial industry came up with something that really does address most all of the problems with the former gear type.

The enviros seem to like the new equipment mainly since sea turtle and mammal interactions would be pretty much eliminated and THEY really are the ones the commercial industry needs to sell it to.

They also need to call this gear something other than a "fish trap" if they want a snowballs chance in hell of getting it into a testing phase.
I heard somebody suggest the name "fish relocater device".

Personally, I'm not a fan of longlining OR fish relocaters but thats just my opinion.

I am curious to hear more about the discussion that went on out in the hall from one of the posters in this thread and one of the enviros who is for fish trapping.

Last edited by RichT; 12-17-2009 at 07:59 PM.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote