Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-09-2003, 07:06 PM   #1
Rick Dawg
Old Painless is waitin

La Jolla Vis. and Yellowtail

Went out today for the first time since we bought an engine for our zodiak. Got out to the outer edge of the kelp where the water didnt look as red. dove under the layer of murk to find almost 30ft. of vis.!! The best I have ever seen out here. I couldn't believe how blue it was. We made 2 stops. the first, My buddy Brian saw a school of yellows and took a shot and missed. On the next stop, I dove down about 20ft. and low and behold, a school of about 10 yellows swam by. They were about 20 ft. away and still moving farther away from me so I tried strumming the bands. It worked, 1 made a complete change of direction and came right at me. I was using my c-2x w/out a breakaway setup and a hawaiian flopper so I had to be careful. It came in range and I let him have it. He Didn't even try to fight the Rick Dawg. He knew he was done. It weighed in at 12lbs. Im going again sunday for some more slaughtering Hopefully this red tide has run its course.

Rick

Last edited by Rick Dawg; 10-10-2003 at 11:35 AM.
Rick Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 01:59 AM   #2
Kyle

HELL YEAH. nice work man!!
So you got one of your 9 engines to run eh?
Ill trade some bugs for some Hamachi.

LATERS, Kyle
Old 10-10-2003, 11:37 AM   #3
Rick Dawg
Old Painless is waitin

we bought a 15 horse last weekend. it works good but its a short shaft and tends to rise up out of the water, so we have to slow down and let it sink back in. You got to bring your boat down so we can go to the islands
Old 10-10-2003, 02:51 PM   #4
Dan33

Sounds like things might finally be getting better. I'm sort of confused about the La Jolla area. I've heard people say that there are parts that are no take zones, etc. Where can you hunt and where can't you hunt?
Dan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:38 PM   #5
Rick Dawg
Old Painless is waitin

The la jolla shores and cove are all off limits to fishing. Just south of the cove there's a park and you can fish anywhere south of that. If you're in a boat, there's also a buoy that marks the preserve.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:05 AM   #6
OceanSwimmer

La Jolla viz and Yellowtail

Hey Rick,
Were you North or South of Boomer's? How far off shore? What a relief to hear the viz is clearing!!! About time! Thanks for the report....
OceanSwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 01:18 PM   #7
Rick Dawg
Old Painless is waitin

We were south of Boomers and at the far edge of the kelp where it comes out to a point. We always could see it when we swam out from shore but it was always too far for us to get there.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:26 PM   #8
JustAddWater

Hey Rick Dawg,
I'd like to make a report about a fish that got away and I don't want to hear about any act of God....
My brother and law and I, all racial differences aside, are thinking about getting a small boat for diving. When I read that you dive/hunt out of a zodiac I thought that was pretty cool. Was there a reason that you chose a zodiac over a small boat? Are you happy with that decision? To tell you the truth, I hadn't considered it before, so am curious to hear from someone who dives off a zodiac often.
Thanks
JAW
"Big Trouble in Little China" is the best
JustAddWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:33 PM   #9
Rick Dawg
Old Painless is waitin

The zodiac is sweet to dive off of. Its extremely stable and we can load up all kinds of gear. The best part is being able to deflate it and load it up in the back of my truck. We get to the beach, pump up the boat and charge right out. We didnt have a place to park a small boat and the trailer you need to go with it. It moves out pretty good with the 15hp. motor we have. hell of alot better than paddling

Rick
Old 10-20-2003, 09:39 PM   #10
JustAddWater

Rick Dawg,
I know that Zodiacs are durable....but do you feel like you have to be extra cautious with sharp objects in the inflatable?
Old 10-21-2003, 12:41 AM   #11
Rick Dawg
Old Painless is waitin

Of course you have to watch out as with anything inflatable, we just try to keep the spearpoints covered and try not to drag the boat on the ground. There are a couple of slow leaks but those are easy to fix.

Rick
Old 10-21-2003, 03:01 PM   #12
JustAddWater

Rick Dawg,
What size boat do you have? Is it a rigid hull version or completely inflatable? Thanks for responding to all my questions. I'm seriously looking in to getting one.
JAW
Old 10-21-2003, 10:17 PM   #13
Rick Dawg
Old Painless is waitin

Any time bro, we have a 12' fully inflatable with 4 floorboards that stiffen it up pretty well. The rigid inflatables were too expensive for us but if I could, they would definitely be the way to go.

Rick
Old 10-22-2003, 10:46 PM   #14
JustAddWater

Rick Dawg,
How far out do you guys go in the 12 foot? Do you need any licensing or permits with an inflatable? Do you carry any kind of depth or navigation accessories? My intentions (for now) is to dive/hunt coves and beaches that are fairly close to shore.
Thanks,
JAW
Old 10-23-2003, 01:52 PM   #15
Rick Dawg
Old Painless is waitin

Any boat that has an engine has to be registered with the dmv. The farthest we've gone is a mile or 2 offshore. when we get some more money we plan on getting a GPS and a vhf radio. Its pretty easy to navigate close to shore so gps isnt that important right now but we need a radio just in case somthing happens.

Rick