Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
spearingnemo

Smile Yes Im a newbie. So what.

Hey im new to this lifestyle. Been freediving for less than a year, trying to get into spearing. I plan on buying my annual license and spear once I learn all the rules from you veterans so if its not too much to ask can I get some tips. Also I was thinking it might be a good idea to make this thread a sticky so we can jus post pointers and stuff so when other newbies like myself join they have a makeshift reference guide to this culture.

I have a few questions about my license. I want to catch lobster in the fall and halibut and what ever is out there. Can I catch these with just an annual sport fishing license or do I need add-ones?

What size should my first speargun be? what kinda attachments and mods?

Any good catching spots in malibu? (don't have to be too specific just a general idea of location)

Usually how far do you guys kick out from shore? Any regulations or dangers I need to know about swimming out too far?

Any other tips and pointers like dangers too look out for, or just any common knowledge helpful to any newbie wil be much appreciated. If I ever meet you guys on a dive maybe a beer might be waiting. Thanks
spearingnemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

Re: Yes Im a newbie. So what.

Get a California Annual fishing License with the Salt Water add-on stamp, and a lobster card. That will permit you to hunt just about anything in the ocean (see DF&G for specific limit fish like Black Sea Bass and those Orange stupid ones...)

You must always know what your shooting at and be certain it is legal size before you pull the trigger...

There are tons of good places in Malibu and all up and down the coast... get in the water and explore. Some days you'll get epic fish, other days you'll get skunked... everyday you'll learn something and get better.

Don't dive alone... get a dive partner (one with more experience can help quite a bit)

Everything about spearfishing can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing... know your limits, know the ocean, know about rip tides and currents. Understand what waves and rocks can do to you. Realize your on THEIR turf out there, a 20lb fish can kill you if you don't know what your doing...

I suggest you start with a pole spear, grab a basic one from sports chalet or a Local dive shop for about 30$... get a wet suite... get fins a mask and a snorkel... get a little bit of weight on a belt and that's about all you need to start.

Ill repeat... don't dive alone, find a partner. Be safe and have fun.

OH and use the search function
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
fishcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alashaman View Post
OH and use the search function
if we make a newbie thread sticky, which I think is a good idea, that should be the title. save a lot of repetition...
Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
SDDiver5

I'm new to spearfishing also. I actually just caught a pretty decent size Halibut! I have been going in to all the local dive/fishing stores and asking questions and talking about the topic and it has actually helped a lot. If people know you face to face and see you frequently and realize that you want to learn and your not just someone trying it out they are more inclined to tell you about good spots to dive at and give you some good insider tips. Thats what I have learned. All the guys at my local dive store know me because I am always in there looking at there merchandise and asking questions. Good luck and dive safe!

And, again, always dive with a buddy.

D
SDDiver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
MonkeyChunks1

Never dive alone, and go somewhere and get to know your gear.
Take the time to learn how much weight you need for your body and your wetsuit to keep you nuetrally bouyant. Take the time to practice for situatuations just dont run out there and head for the kelp.
And big gun does not equal big fish, start off with something smaller like a polespear, there cheaper and if you loose it your not out a couple hundred bucks.

Be safe and have fun.
MonkeyChunks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
fishy killa

Point dume is a good spot in Malibu if you ever wanna go diving send me a pm and maybe we could meet up
fishy killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Ocean-tendency
Kaili's Protector

1)Depending on which gun you have, be sure to put marks on it for 12" ( Calicos/sheepheads), 14" for Cabezons, 22" for Halis, 24" for lings, and 28" for WSB. Then cut out a piece of cardboard or something similar 2-3" bigger than those marks...and study those cutouts (since underwater fish will look about 2-3" bigger than what they really are). **** Be sure you know what the hell you are shooting before you pull the trigger****.. Fishing Diving stores will have those placards with the different fish on it, in case you are still learning what fish are which.
2) swim in a pool with your diving gear on ( Subtract 3-4lbs for FW) and get use to it to the point like it feels like your own skin.
3) No gun = No Problem...just a wooden broom stick works...and nail on small piece for a handle.. work on your sighting..
4) With or without dive gear practice underwater swims at the pool..with a watch..Even if you don't have a dive computer watch...Rip Tide, Iron man G3, or something similar that is atleast water resistant to 150m...just don't press the buttons under the water. But know how long you can comfortably hold your breath while swimming under water..DON"T PUSH IT..and time how long it will take for your breathing to come back to normal without feeling tired...Know that time and be sure to cover the min breathe up time before diving down again...

Do That before worrying about how many guns to get..best set ups..etc..etc.. DO THE BASICS FIRST and know the local fish..Talk with H and L guys see where they are getting fish..surf spots..Research it man...then find a buddy who will take you out or is atleast good enough that can comfortably keep an eye on you.

***Most importantly** Don't dive past your limits which includes diving in water where you can't reach the bottom, unless you're in really deep water out of the kelp and you blast YT, then go for it..

Ocean-tendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
drdav
Devin

Definitely go out with someone who knows what they are doing. Start out diving in a protected area. As you get more experience, you can move out to pinnacles and points that have more fish. Conditions in the ocean can change very quickly. I always monitor tthe wind and swell and current constantly. This is a habit you must get into. Test out your weight in a pool. Diving over weighted is very dangerous, it is important to be positive in the water. Always better to be under weighted than over, always wear the least amount of weight you can get away with comfortably.
drdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
spearingnemo

Thanks for all the positive feedback and awesome tips. I went out about 500 yard from malibu pier shore today as the swells were flat like glass in the morning but by the time the wind picked up vis drop down to 5. But learned a lot saw and some sea life. I know you guys recommended using a pole spear however I really want to go out with a speargun. Any recommendations in length? I was thinking about 30-40 inches. thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
yeskaa
Jess

some members need their nuts coddled before they reply
yeskaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
spearingnemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
A newbie asking for advice might want to seem more like he would really appreciate help.
I mean no disrespect sir. Although I am young blood I've learned you can't judge a book by its cover. If you read my post and not the title you would see that I try to emphasize that I would gladly appreciate any form of knowledge given to me. I only wish to learn and if I had offended you I am sorry.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #12
speargunhunter
favorite speargun? Wong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearingnemo View Post
I mean no disrespect sir. Although I am young blood I've learned you can't judge a book by its cover. If you read my post and not the title you would see that I try to emphasize that I would gladly appreciate any form of knowledge given to me. I only wish to learn and if I had offended you I am sorry.
Spearingnemo, Bills one of the best guys on here to help folks out. Your post just sounded a little harsh, im sure not what you meant. Anyways, always dive with someone. best way to learn find a dive buddy in your area and have them show you the ropes. always use a dive flag and watch out for boaters! unfortunately, there are a few idiots with boats that have no regard for divers. Im not sure how the vis is in your area someone there would be able to help guide you on speargun choice. you can search the forums on different subjects and that'll give you a ton of info. once again, dont dive alone.

For me there's only One Choice...."WONG".

www.wongguns.com
speargunhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #13
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeskaa View Post
some members need their nuts coddled before they reply
Luckily, you don't. That's why we rely on your help (as long as we aren't afraid of losing some teeth if we piss you off).

Last edited by Bill McIntyre; 08-12-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
Turyturbo
Deaf Merman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean-tendency View Post
1)Depending on which gun you have, be sure to put marks on it for 12" ( Calicos/sheepheads), 14" for Cabezons, 22" for Halis, 24" for lings, and 28" for WSB. Then cut out a piece of cardboard or something similar 2-3" bigger than those marks...and study those cutouts (since underwater fish will look about 2-3" bigger than what they really are). **** Be sure you know what the hell you are shooting before you pull the trigger****.. Fishing Diving stores will have those placards with the different fish on it, in case you are still learning what fish are which.

3) No gun = No Problem...just a wooden broom stick works...and nail on small piece for a handle.. work on your sighting..
I like your idea. It took me some time to study the length of fish before shooting at them. Even after few months of no spearfishing, I still need to re-study the length of fish before shooting. Yep, on my freshwater speargun, they have measurement sticker on it for all freshwater fish species because some fish regulation says one fish over 22 in and 4 fish limit over 15 in or 5 fish over 15 in. So I can check to see if my fish is over 22 or not before I am able to shoot other bigger fish.
Turyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
fishcrazy

I marked off 12 inches on my gun too, and for me, I don't shoot a fish unless it looks way over 12 inches, because it will come out to about 12.5 inches. If you try to guess what 12 inches is under water the fish will always be short. I've learned this from shooting alot of shortys