Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #16
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Re: I give you the endangered Goliath Grouper(s) !!

Just for shits and giggles, How many GGs do we think should be harvested on a limited basis? One guy told me he thinks everyone with a saltwater license should get to harvest one per year and believes there would be plenty left.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #17
CuzzA

I'm not convinced we should have an open season on them. Maybe a tag program. How many? Beyond me. Another option would be a slot. What size? Don't know. 24"-36"? I don't think I'd want to eat a 500 pounder.

I do find it funny FWC always looks to the South Florida population, yet ignores the Gulf Coast population. They are not on every bit of structure here, but they're getting there. It's pretty common for me to see them on ledges.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #18
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

Straight out of Steinhatchee there's an AR that had has huge concrete tanks and other rubble. Inside one of the tanks I counted ten jewfish. Around the area that's about the size of a small home, were numerous other Jews, probably close to fifteen to twenty. This is in thirty ft of water.
Never got bothered by them and we let them alone. Sometime soon, our big brother in the land of fishing regulations, needs to open up a short season on these guys. The mentality may not change until a diver is seriously hurt or killed.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #19
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by searaydiver View Post
Never got bothered by them and we let them alone. Sometime soon, our big brother in the land of fishing regulations, needs to open up a short season on these guys. The mentality may not change until a diver is seriously hurt or killed.
Even if there were a couple serious injuries or deaths I don't think it would make any difference on the regulatory side. Its just too hot/divisive of a topic for law enforcement or politicians to stick their noses in it. The reward just isn't worth the costs for either of those groups. I seriously doubt there will ever be any legal harvest.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #20
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
Even if there were a couple serious injuries or deaths I don't think it would make any difference on the regulatory side. Its just too hot/divisive of a topic for law enforcement or politicians to stick their noses in it. The reward just isn't worth the costs for either of those groups. I seriously doubt there will ever be any legal harvest.
I agree. But honestly, as stated before, if they start getting aggressive with me, I WILL have to defend myself and "stand my ground" - and I doubt the ACLU or NAACP or NAAGG (National Association for the Advancement of Goliath Grouper - hey, I like that name!) would come after me, because any video of it would never get out.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #21
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
I agree. But honestly, as stated before, if they start getting aggressive with me, I WILL have to defend myself and "stand my ground" - and I doubt the ACLU or NAACP or NAAGG (National Association for the Advancement of Goliath Grouper - hey, I like that name!) would come after me, because any video of it would never get out.
Rogers on that!

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #22
kmoose
Team Headhunter

I think there would be more reported injuries from inexperienced shooters dropping a line shaft into 400 lb toad and getting dragged into a wreck or getting wrapped up. It’s nothing the dive community needs to be involved with.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #23
jfjf

I’d be a hero and use a pole spear.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #24
SEATUX

Lucky for us that only Hook and line fisherman ever kill off the GG!
If it was suspected that spearfisherman EVER killed a GG we would probably have even more restrictive legislations enacted against us all....
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #25
chawk25

Yeah the only shot will be for H&L harvest. I'd like to see a tag program for five thousand or so fish from this side of the state. IMO like every other animal that has no fear they are becoming a little to brave. Not sure about a slot bc some of those old big bastards are the ones with no fear. My dad was around when you could harvest them (or so he says) but he says they used to move off the structure when a diver dropped in. Now they come to welcome you.
chawk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:18 PM   #26
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawk25 View Post
Yeah the only shot will be for H&L harvest. I'd like to see a tag program for five thousand or so fish from this side of the state. IMO like every other animal that has no fear they are becoming a little to brave. Not sure about a slot bc some of those old big bastards are the ones with no fear. My dad was around when you could harvest them (or so he says) but he says they used to move off the structure when a diver dropped in. Now they come to welcome you.
Exactly, and that's why a couple years of open season, 1 per trip, kind of makes sense to me. The aggressive ones could be culled.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #27
jfjf

The idea for a very limited GG harvest with a tag system using a slot size was extensively vetted by FWC over the last year. They must have spent 100k or more taking their dog and pony show around the state. The proposal was for hook and line harvest only.

The tree huggers showed up, the fisherman and divers did not (for the most part) and there is no harvest and I doubt it will even be considered for several years. Now add in the effects of the current Red Tide.. we are lucky there are any GG left in the Gulf.

I went to the one meeting and a lady got up pleading to the staff to not allow terrible fisherman to kill her favorite GG who she had named! The individual fish was now a pet, not a harvestable resource. The whole exercise looked like a joke to me.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote