Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
calispero

ultimate lobster snare idea

While lobstering in the keys, I thought of the ultimate lobster snare idea. Cheap and never lets go.

Just find something like a 5ft long reusable zip tie with one of those release mechanisms. Now slip it through a thin aluminum tube. Pull the free end and the zip tie closes like a snare over the lobster tail.

I thought you could use shorter zip ties by punching a hole in the end and feeding some mono through the tube but seems like more work underwater.

If you carry a bunch of these zip ties with you, every lobster you snare, you can just attach it to your stringer through the ziptie and don't even need a lobster bag.

I thought of this because I wanted something ultralow drag. I hate swimming around with a net, snare, tickle stick, huge lobster bag, speargun, etc all at the same time!
calispero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Re: ultimate lobster snare idea

Lobster "Snares" are illegal in Florida. A 'snare' is classified as a loop that closes completely which is what the zip tie will do. That's why the loopers you see have that 4 inches of clear tubing around the wire. It is supposed to not harm the lobster when you loop them and you can release them unharmed if they have eggs or too small.

Interesting idea though for a cheap product.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnoly View Post
Lobster "Snares" are illegal in Florida. A 'snare' is classified as a loop that closes completely which is what the zip tie will do. That's why the loopers you see have that 4 inches of clear tubing around the wire. It is supposed to not harm the lobster when you loop them and you can release them unharmed if they have eggs or too small.

Interesting idea though for a cheap product.
I never knew that..
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
HurricaneBK

who needs all that stuff, i manage to get my limit every time i want to using my hands and some thick gloves.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Forget nets and snares and all that crap.. all you need is hands..
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
calla969

I think it's a good idea. You would have to use the piece of tubing on the wire tie to make it legal, but that's easy enough. Check out these reusable ones. I think this would work really well. http://cableorganizer.com/hellermann...speedy-tie.htm The idea needs some refinement, but I think you're on to something.
calla969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
brothertodd
"You Gotta Eat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneBK View Post
who needs all that stuff, i manage to get my limit every time i want to using my hands and some thick gloves.
Just make sure there are no eels in the back sharing that hole with the lobster. a tickle stick is a lot easyer to deal with than only three fingers on one hand
brothertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
calispero

Hands only are how we do it california but snares are way better. Lots of times the hole is too deep to stick your arm up there but I always try. With a proper snare, you snare them before they even move.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
Catalyst
Formerly Twin-or-Lose

I reluctantly switched to a snare this season and it is great. The snare works great, weighs almost nothing and can be closed and used as a tickle stick. I think one of the biggest advantages of the snare is the lack of impact on the reef. (and the lobster if too small or eggs) I still reach in and grab a lobster sometimes when I know they have no where to go but I think this is much more damaging to the reef.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #10
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

Snares rulewe limited out in 2 hours in 2 days freediving
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:41 AM   #11
sloticus

I am with ya Brother Todd. If you ever have one of those green bastards latch on to your hand, you will think twice before sticking your hand in a hole. If it wasnt for thick gloves and my big ass hands, I would probably be missing a finger or two.
sloticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
calispero

Also has anyone thought about just using a stringer and zip tying the lobster tail? I hate carrying a lobster bag with me all the time due to the drag but I'd carry a bunch of zip ties.

Easiest way to carry the zip ties is to close them into a loop and clip them to your bc. Then just put the tail through, and pull to close the zip tie.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #13
calispero

I thought about it some more and here is the best idea to replace lobster bags:
1) take 6 or 7 big zip ties
2) punch a small hole one the end of the ziptie
3) thread a string through these holes
4) close the zip ties to form loops
5) tie each end of the rope to a clip
6) clip one clip to your self

You now have a lobster stringer!

Just put a lobster tail through the zip tie and pull it tight. One hand holds the lobster and one hand pulls the zip tie close. You can even do it by pinning the lobster to the ground with one hand and using the other to put the zip tie on the tail. This is great for big bugs where it's a hassle to get them in a bag.

When not in use, just roll it up and store it in your pocket. Takes no space and no drag.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #14
seahunter49

Calispero, it's interesting to me that you bring this up now as I was thinking about doing exactly this to avoid carrying a net to reduce drag. I was playing with this idea over the last couple of weeks. My idea with the zip ties was just to hold the lobster, not catch them.

Here's an excerpt from the regulations.
Quote:
No person shall harvest or attempt to harvest spiny lobster using any device which will or could puncture, penetrate, or crush the exoskeleton (shell) or the flesh of the lobster.
I think there are two separate issues here as far as the regulations go. The first deals with how to harvest lobster which the above describes. However, there is no mention as far as possession, that I see, about anything other than keeping the legal size lobster intact until you're on land. Thus the zip tie method to hold the lobster should not be contrary to regulations. If anyone is aware of something that says to the contrary please post.

BTW IMO the zip ties have too much friction when pulling the strip through to close on the lobster fast enough.
seahunter49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:52 AM   #15
Dieseldoctor250

If you showed up to a commercial lobster boat with all of this B.S. they would streight up laugh at you. No offence, but if you all would work on your tecinque a little bit, you would be suprised how efficient you can be. Here are a few tricks. These "tickle sticks" they sell in dive shops, made of plastic with a little leash to put around your wrist are useless. Try this. Get a 7ft long piece of aluminum conduit (3/4") and bend the last foot to foot and a half of it with a pipe / conduit bender. The angle is up to you I use anywhere between 75 and 100 degrees. then use a vice or a hammer to flatten out the end that is bent. This way you can muscle them around a bit. A lot of times, I will put the end under their tail and lift gently untill I can pin their tail aginst the rock. It keeps them from stirring up so much silt.

If you swim up to a ledge full of lobster, try to get them all to one (deep) end of the ledge. Then work them one at a time to the shallow end of the ledge so they are easier to pick off. If there is no end you can use your bag (or better yet your hand).

If you grab them by the tail, they can't really go anywhere.

If you come across them out in the open, do not chase them, get right on top of them and slowly drift down, they will follow you untill they are streight up and down, when they try to run they will run right into the ground and become easier to catch.

You guys will remember this next time you swim up on a ledge full, then say "darn that guy has something there!"