Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-28-2017, 12:47 AM   #1
carrasco

Must have!!!! If you trailer a boat.

If you trailer a boat, you must read this post.

It is Friday night and we are all loaded up, ready to try our luck at the lobster!

My Dodge Ram 1500 is the designated vehicle to tow the boat this time and we are underway. Suddenly, the left trailer tire seems low, then lower and lower. I drive off the freeway into the nearest gas station. The tire is hissing air and so we decide to pump air and try to make it back home to deal with the tire. While driving on the street, we notice the tire losing air even faster and so we go to yet another station- this time, the tire is hissing like a rattle snake. We pump air again and get going a third time. This time however the tire goes completely flat and the tread comes apart- we are "dead in the water" so to speak.

Four men, think-tanking it for a solution. "Black Friday"night, holiday weekend and we are up sh-- creek. Until we find this guy on the internet. His name is Pepe and he owns Pepe's Mobile Tires. We call the guy and within 1 hour, he is on scene with all the equipment of a tire shop inside his truck. He brought along the exact tire we needed, changed the tire and got us back underway.

We ended up going lobster hunting and landed a few bugs.

Needless to say- save the guy's number- you may need it some day:
Pepe's Mobile Tires-
714-978-4670
Super highly recommend this guy!!!

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
jae r

Re: Must have!!!! If you trailer a boat.

saved!
jae r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
sealark

Lesson learned always carry a spare tire, Keep the tires out of direct sunlight when parked or figure on replacing them every couple years. Grease up the wheel nuts by loosening them one at a time use the spray lithium grease a couple times a year. Ask me how I know.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

and.....consider taking out the Vessel Assist trailer coverage along with your Gold boat tow coverage...should your boat and trailer need flatbed hauling, they will cover it along with tire repairs...I also have an AAA membership for faster response times for flats...a great Christmas present for the wife, kids and yourself....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
Markio
Shoot to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob ballew View Post
and.....consider taking out the vessel assist trailer coverage along with your gold boat tow coverage...should your boat and trailer need flatbed hauling, they will cover it along with tire repairs...i also have an aaa membership for faster response times for flats......
+1
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

A lot of boat trailers have old tires. The tread looks good but the tire is out of date. If you're not sure, tires have a date code molded into them.

To the OP, best to replace your other tires as well or you may have this happen again on your next trip.
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
Pfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
and.....consider taking out the Vessel Assist trailer coverage along with your Gold boat tow coverage...should your boat and trailer need flatbed hauling, they will cover it along with tire repairs...I also have an AAA membership for faster response times for flats...a great Christmas present for the wife, kids and yourself....
Bob, I have AAA and they would not touch my boat trailer a couple of times when I have had flats without a jack and tools. Might need a bit of language in the policy.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #8
asianspearo
Heiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae r View Post
saved!
X2

Thanks, Carrasco!
asianspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
Castor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
I paid for this for years and then one time I had a bearing go out and no one would help me. All I got was that my boat trailer (21' Chris Craft) was oversized and couldn't be towed. I haven't bought the trailer assist since and never will.

Rob
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:33 AM   #10
Manbat

X2 on the trailer assist not being any help. They left me on the side of a freeway on a Sunday night. Most flat bed tow trucks will not put a boat on a trailer on it.
Manbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #11
davej

Haha when I got a flat they thought I was a semi and sent a semi truck tow truck to help. I had a spare but needed a breaker bar to get lugs off.
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #12
Cameronv
Ando26

I've got triple AAA and US boat trailer assist. Sounding like what I ACTUALLY need is to buy that 3rd tire and mount it up front on the trailer...

boats.. right...
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #13
Ron S

The tool kit in my truck contains a tire plug kit and I keep one of those little air compressors that plug into the cigarette lighter under the seat. Originally put it there to inflate my abalone float tube, and never took it out. More than once I've pulled a nail out of a tire, plugged it, aired it up, and been on the way in less than 20 minutes.

I'm lazy, and if I can get away with NOT changing a tire, I'll do it.

Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #14
Castor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
The tool kit in my truck contains a tire plug kit and I keep one of those little air compressors that plug into the cigarette lighter under the seat. Originally put it there to inflate my abalone float tube, and never took it out. More than once I've pulled a nail out of a tire, plugged it, aired it up, and been on the way in less than 20 minutes.

I'm lazy, and if I can get away with NOT changing a tire, I'll do it.

Ron.
Best advice Ive heard in a while. I gonna do it. Thanks.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #15
sealark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronv View Post
I've got triple AAA and US boat trailer assist. Sounding like what I ACTUALLY need is to buy that 3rd tire and mount it up front on the trailer...

boats.. right...
And don't forget to cover the spare. In the sun it will wear out as fast as the one on the axles.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote