Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > Marine Electronics

Marine Electronics Knowing where our dive spots are located and what is the depth for our dives make our marine electronics very important.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
KillaB27

Best Bottom Finder for the Money

I have a Garmin GPS/Bottom Finder, but I would like to get a dedicated bottom finder and leave the Garmin as my navigation. I really don't have any experience in this realm and having been looking around for about a week or so. I am thinking of a Furuno, Raymarine, or any other brand that is suggested.

Looking to flush mount on the console which will probably allow up to an 8" screen, but I am looking to be under $1,000 with transducer.

Any suggestions?
KillaB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
scubajobert

Re: Best Bottom Finder for the Money

si-tex cvs-106 around $600.
scubajobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
kmoose
Team Headhunter

There are lots of options for scopes but don't skimp on the transducer. I just went from a $200 dollar ducer to a $700 264n..... I am shocked at the improvement.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
KillaB27

Is better to do a thru-hull, transom, or bilge type mount? Something about drilling a hole in the bottom of my boat scares the crap out of me.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaB27 View Post
Is better to do a thru-hull, transom, or bilge type mount? Something about drilling a hole in the bottom of my boat scares the crap out of me.
Don't let it scare you. The tilted element thru hull is the way to go. Trouble free and if properly installed gives you a great picture at any speed. What are you putting it on?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Yes thru hull only. Air Mar makes some tilted, flush mount transducers that dont have any drag. If they dont make a tilted one for your unit, when you drill through, just make sure you have the boat level, and make the wedges level- so the bottom of the transducer is level and pointing straightdown when boat would be running.. Use plastic for the wedges. If using wood only use teak. Only use 5200 for anything below waterline, inside and out and give it at least a day to dry.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Tiny

If you go used...a furuno 620...transducer really matters...though not a 8" screen
Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Airmar now makes universal thru hull tilted ducers for almost any unit. This is a great feature as you don't have to commit to an expensive thru hull unit with the fear it won't be compatible down the road if you opt for a different sounder. The B-60 is a Airmar's entry level thru hull, tilted unit that runs about $200 for bronze with the cable included for your selected unit. If down the road you change your fish finder you can buy the right cable to adapt your transducer for around $80 bucks. The B-60 is an outstanding transducer for the money and way superior than the standard transom mount. Here is a link to the B-60 info sheet. http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo...chures/B60.pdf
If you really want to be blown away, do some research on the airmar 264n and w models. They are very pricey but 13 times more sensitive than the B-60.

Here is a crappy cell phone pic from my 12 year old JRC ff50 with the 264n ducer. The next pic is of the crumbly ledge when we dove it. I found it running 30 knots on my way out. A good ducer really pays for itself in new spots. My first day out with it bagged me 4 new numbers I never would of seen without it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Todd Ledge FF 50.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	190488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Todd Ledge.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	190489  
Old 05-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
Prowler@c
Carlos

Here is a Lowrance unit that will give you great bottom clarity with its traditional sounder and also comes with Down Scan Imaging which is great for finding structure. This unit also has GPS. The transducers that it comes with is transom mount but you could always upgrade to thru hulls later.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...6#.UaZDYNi3RvI
Prowler@c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
KillaB27

I haven't responded in some time, but how's this for a setup?

Furuno bottom finder - haven't decided on model
SS264W - 200hz transducer (only need one I think)

Being installed in a 2007 Sea Hunt Triton 202. Not sure on the degree tilt, new models say 16 degrees at the stern. Based on Airmars website, they say the 20 degree covers 16-24 degrees. I am new to boat ownership and understand I have a lot to learn. All my diving/fishing is done 120 feet and shallower.

Last edited by KillaB27; 07-29-2013 at 09:06 PM.