Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-30-2023, 11:03 PM   #1
CrabGrab

Recommendations for brining gear camping on catalina

Hi everyone,
Making my way out to spear in Catalina this summer. Every other time I've gone I've been lucky to have a friend with a boat, but this time I'll be camping at Two Harbors. This means I'll have fishing gear, spearing gear, and camping gear that I'll need to lug on the ferry and into the campground. Couple questions for those with more experience:
Any recommendations other than a heavy backpack?
Is it feasible to get a big cooler with wheels and use that to lug some of the heavier stuff?
Sounds like the General Store has most everything - anything specific I should make sure not to forget?
Thanks!
CrabGrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:56 AM   #2
NaClAddict

Re: Recommendations for brining gear camping on catalina

Camp ground is I think about a 1 mi hike and it isn’t flat. Cooler would probably work but it won’t be easy. We always traveled light and carried our gear
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:20 PM   #3
Kadman

I believe the Ranger at Two Harbors Campground will haul gear from the pier to the campground for a fee per item. This was an option in the past. Have a great trip. Cheers, Kadman
Kadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:29 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

...Rangers will haul your items to the campground ($7 per item). Firewood can be purchased. In my poor student days (no boat), I put my weight belt, gear, etc in a cooler and strapped it to an upright "L" shaped cart. My fish and ice went into the cooler on my return trip.
... My guns were strapped upright on each side and my large backpack sat on top of the cooler. Catalina Express requires speartips to be covered. There is a small store with about everything you need, including hot coffee in the morning. My first encounter with a big gamefish was diving in front of the campground and watching, as a 250 lb. Black Sea Bass swam by...The largest, was a pure silver grandaddy of over 700 lbs. I swam next to at Silver Canyon; one of a school of twelve fish hanging out in some kelp stalks at 80' depths...I would later go after a 16' Great White, mistaking it's chunky shape for a world record BSB when seen from behind! I only realized my mistake when it turned around in the gloom and came straight for me...Catalina offers many a diving adventure; some you want and some, not so much....
... The Reef restaurant (not cheap) in the bar has excellent food for dinner escapes by the Good Wife and the small front deck restaurant is good for breakfast and lunch. Showers and restrooms are available. For more info, go to "VisitCatalinaIsland.com" Note: Ask where you can dive...The Isthmus Reef and Blue Caverns areas are a preserve and off limits to fishing and diving...The east side of Bird Rock is closed but off the west end is beyond the closed boundary. Good spot for white sea bass...suggest you look at a tide chart and plan dives close to the high tide times for the best vis and least wave height changes. Also, the wind has been coming up every day by noon, so, try to dive early a.m. if possible...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 06-07-2023 at 07:59 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:32 PM   #5
CrabGrab

Much appreciated guys. Sounds like this trip is logistically a lot easier than I expected. If anyone's out for first weekend of lobster season come say what's up!
Old 06-02-2023, 11:43 AM   #6
CrabGrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
...Rangers will haul your items to the campground ($7 per item). Firewood can be purchased. In my poor student days (no boat), I put my weight belt, gear, etc in a cooler and strapped it to an upright "L" shaped cart. My fish and ice went into the cooler on my return trip.
... My guns were strapped upright on each side and my large backpack sat on top of the cooler. Catalina Express requires speartips to be covered. There is a small store with about everything you need, including hot coffee in the morning.
... The Reef restaurant (not cheap) in the bar has excellent food for dinner escapes by the Good Wife and the small front deck restaurant is good for breakfast and lunch. Showers and restrooms are available. For more info, go to "VisitCatalinaIsland.com" Note: Ask where you can dive...The Isthmus Reef and Blue Caverns areas are a preserve and off limits to fishing and diving...The east side of Bird Rock is closed but off the west end is beyond the closed boundary. Good spot for white sea bass...suggest you look at a tide chart and plan dives close to the high tide times for the best vis and least wave height changes. Also, the wind has been coming up every day by noon, so, try to dive early a.m. if possible...
Isthmus reef is protected? It seems well outside the Blue Cavern SMCA. Or is this image dated and what its actually referring to is Harbor reef: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_326183928
Old 06-02-2023, 09:42 PM   #7
Bob Ballew

...If my recall is correct, Blue Caverns no-take zone extends west just past LITTLE fISHERMANS cove. Line up that edge and you can determine how much of Isthmus reef and Bird Rock is no take. If you have gps, the no-take boundary is 118.29.300 west and 33.27.500 North. No problem diving Ship Rock, except for strong current at times and an occasional Great White...
...Fish & Wildlife boarded me while anchored on the top west most point of Bird Rock, diving west out over the open water and there was no problem. Still, it is advisable to know the gps boundaries...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:30 PM   #8
CrabGrab

Thanks Bob!