Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #31
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Re: can't seem to hit a fish! accuracy and aiming tips??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
To test; with both eyes open, hold your arm all the way out and with one finger point to single spot in the distance. Then close your left eye. The image your pointing at should stay where it is. The close your right eye. The image should move and your finger shouldn't be pointing to the spot any more. If this "method" is reverse for you and you when you close your left eye the image moves, then your Left Eye dominant. Which "could" be your problem with sighting.
This isn't really a surefire way to test for eye dominance, because it's too easy to mess up / overthink. When you point at an object with both eyes open, you can see two fingers. Depending on which "finger image" you point at the object, you will be able to close either eye and prove that you are left AND right eye dominant, which is wrong.

A way to do it that's harder to screw up is this: https://www.reddit.com/comments/uk6z..._dominant_eye/
This way, your hand helps to unconsciously suggest to your brain which "hole image" you're supposed to be looking through. Don't think about it, just do it.

However, eye dominance shouldn't matter for spearfishing, because you shouldn't be aiming just ONE of the spear images at the fish. You should be aiming *between* both spear tip images that you see, and you should see two images because you have *both* eyes open.

Just my opinions, though.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #32
Wdsine

One of the more traditional ways to aim a spear gun is to look at the tip of the spear, put this on the spot you want to aim at and then lift the handle up. As the tip disappears from sight, pull the trigger.. it takes a little longer than intuitive shooting, and this method is just a general way of shooting a spear gun. your results may vary. Like others have said, practice on a target. I use a plastic bag as it is neutral in the water and flows and moves randomly. Also make sure you take the bag with you and dont litter.

"Into the blue I go..."
Wdsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #33
SpearOfDestiny1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdsine View Post
One of the more traditional ways to aim a spear gun is to look at the tip of the spear, put this on the spot you want to aim at and then lift the handle up. As the tip disappears from sight, pull the trigger.. it takes a little longer than intuitive shooting, and this method is just a general way of shooting a spear gun. your results may vary. Like others have said, practice on a target. I use a plastic bag as it is neutral in the water and flows and moves randomly. Also make sure you take the bag with you and dont litter.

I've been looking at this technique..Gonna try all the techniques this Saturday see which one works.wish me luck!
SpearOfDestiny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #34
Wdsine

I know mine shoots a little high so I actually aim a bit below the fish to hit center mass. Again it comes down to the characteristics of your gun and your natural point of aim.

I'm going out tomorrow around mission mid day if you want to come with me. PM me

"Into the blue I go..."
Wdsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #35
SpearOfDestiny1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdsine View Post
I know mine shoots a little high so I actually aim a bit below the fish to hit center mass. Again it comes down to the characteristics of your gun and your natural point of aim.

I'm going out tomorrow around mission mid day if you want to come with me. PM me
Just pm you!
Old 10-23-2015, 01:31 AM   #36
Scottyp

I had the same problem for a while too. I was seeing all the fish and I was good enough to get within range of some decent calico 5lb+. I would miss so often that I wouldn't even try to shoot anymore. Then magically everything was going right for me. The first fish I got was a Yellowtail, then a 9lb calico. I'm not sure what I'm doing right now or what I have changed since but once I finally got that first fish I have gotten almost every fish that I have shot at. The only time I didn't get a fish was when I:

1. EXTREMELY HELPFULL Didn't fully extend my arm (I even miss fish at point blank if I don't extend my arm)
2. I didn't fully lower the angle of my gun from the handle (I would shoot high)
3. Didn't fully lock lock out my elbow to minimize recoil (I find this really easy because I can hyper-extend it so it can only bend backwards to a certain point)

This is only what works for me. For all I know you could be having totally different issues with aiming. Good luck!
Scottyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #37
SpearOfDestiny1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp View Post
I had the same problem for a while too. I was seeing all the fish and I was good enough to get within range of some decent calico 5lb+. I would miss so often that I wouldn't even try to shoot anymore. Then magically everything was going right for me. The first fish I got was a Yellowtail, then a 9lb calico. I'm not sure what I'm doing right now or what I have changed since but once I finally got that first fish I have gotten almost every fish that I have shot at. The only time I didn't get a fish was when I:

1. EXTREMELY HELPFULL Didn't fully extend my arm (I even miss fish at point blank if I don't extend my arm)
2. I didn't fully lower the angle of my gun from the handle (I would shoot high)
3. Didn't fully lock lock out my elbow to minimize recoil (I find this really easy because I can hyper-extend it so it can only bend backwards to a certain point)

This is only what works for me. For all I know you could be having totally different issues with aiming. Good luck!
I got alot of good advice that ill be using tomorrow.Thanx for the input wish me luck!!!!
Old 10-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #38
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
It is remarkable how inaccurate some setups are and what is even more remarkable is how good shots most experienced spearos are. I cannot tell you how much of a relief it is for someone who is experiencing poor accuracy to try and fire a well setup accurate gun ... and find out that all along the problem was not him but rather his gun setup. You need to try your setup in static conditions and find out how it is grouping and where. At one wrap a good setup will put all shots in one hole at the end of one wrap, while at two wraps you should be able to keep shots within 2 inches. If you are not getting that kind of accuracy then you need to adjust your setup. Some guns shoot high, some guns shoot low ... some guns are simply overpowered and will whip the shaft to where it will not go straight, while others have shafts that are not streamlined and will vector the shaft all over the place. Simply changing from a top flopper to a bottom flopper can have a huge difference in where your impact point is. So before you blame yourself for not being able to hit a fish, try a few 5 shot groups on a static target. Start at very close range and then move away and see how things change.
This is the best advice. I've tested $150 shafts and $1500 guns that aren't accurate before modification. Some of them praised for their quality.
ApneaAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #39
Ren

Smile Re: can't seem to hit a fish! accuracy and aiming tips??

Went out with destiny and tested out his gun last weekend. There were a couple of things that resulted in missed fish.
  1. Dull tip
  2. Lack of power (rotting bands + thick shaft)

Having a rounded dull tip made it extremely difficult to shoot through the flesh of any fish even if we did have the luck of hitting it.

Also...the gun has 3 14mm bands that are showing extreme signs of aging (not enough power to propel the 8mm shaft) and tearing/dry rot.

It's kinda like the issue I had with my polespear when I first made it. Majority of the power I was losing because of not enough power to propel the spear/shaft with good 'punch'.

That being said @destiny if it were me I'd either 1. sell the gun and pick up another (not jbl) or 2. replace shaft with a single flopper and get a new band setup (J&J) and you should be golden. Depending on which is cheaper that's what I'd do.

Can't wait to get some bigger fish.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #40
Shorediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreediveCA View Post
Honestly, as mentioned, it becomes instinctive. Perhaps others will chime in on this question, and my answer (please correct me or elaborate on my behalf if you will), but I don't really look at my gun. Sure it's in my line of sight, but not what I am truly looking at. Think of your gun as an extension of your arm. If you were to point at a dot on the wall with your finger would you look at your finger, arm, or the dot? For me, I'm looking at the dot. Since I consider my gun an extension of my arm I do the same when I take a shot. Best way I can think to describe it.

Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #41
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
......2. replace shaft with a single flopper and get a new band setup[/b] (J&J) and you should be golden. Depending on which is cheaper that's what I'd do........
This will make a big difference. He can probably just unscrew the spinner tip entirely and buy a simple rock point single barb / flopper spear head.

Also, try to shoot scaly fish from slightly behind. The spear will pierce their scale armor better. Works good for cats, too.