Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #16
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Re: Lionfish Shooter with small trident

They have quite a few lionfish derbies for just that purpose.The state of FL even contribute prize money.They do help,but it is getting rec and commercial spearos fully onboard that has gotten them thinned locally.We don't know how many there are in spots not hit but some wrecks and reefs are far less populated than previously,That being said,i have harvest some wrecks 2 or 3 times in one year with similar results.We got 300 pounds of one wreck,it was only about 200 fish.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #17
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
They have quite a few lionfish derbies for just that purpose.The state of FL even contribute prize money.They do help,but it is getting rec and commercial spearos fully onboard that has gotten them thinned locally.We don't know how many there are in spots not hit but some wrecks and reefs are far less populated than previously,That being said,i have harvest some wrecks 2 or 3 times in one year with similar results.We got 300 pounds of one wreck,it was only about 200 fish.
Well rabid conservationists have the spearo (erroneously) as chief architect of the demise of fish in general and think great gains are made when we are booted out of an area, being first cab off the rank when bans are being considered for marine parks or exclusion zones. Now the Lionfish would show what a lie this is as I expect if we relentlessly mowed them down then they would still be around, but in depleted numbers, however such an effort would halt and hopefully reverse any expansion and the diver is the person to do it because we can see what we shoot.
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:40 AM   #18
SubSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Those tips mounted in short guns (usually pneumatic) have been used in Europe for eons. The idea is not to compensate for poor markmanship, but to strike small fish with several tips at once to paralize it. Often used for hole hunting small fish (under 3kg) in competitions.

What he said. These guns are pretty much standard in any Mediterranean country, used for reef hunting small fish.
SubSub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #19
popgun pete

The Aussie pranger heads are the same, here is a Sea Hornet cluster head on one of my general purpose guns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Hornet custom 3.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	241615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Hornet heads R.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	241616  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #20
popgun pete

Then there are the handspear guns with cluster heads. Or used without the sliding handle which are even faster to use with multiple targets available.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sea Hornet handspears.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	241617  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #21
renepotvin

Here is a video about eradicating them lol. It's not that I don't eat them, but there is no way we can think of eradication and eating each of them... it's not serious.

Sailing adventures http://miami2montreal.wordpress.com/

Freediving and spearfishing stuff www.renepotvin.com

My spearguns www.renesub.com

On twitter : @living_outdoors
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #22
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by renepotvin View Post
Here is a video about eradicating them lol. It's not that I don't eat them, but there is no way we can think of eradication and eating each of them... it's not serious.

http://youtu.be/v7ogTGAQxts
My goodness, they are everywhere! I have found some fish can survive being skewered by a multi-prong tip and then wiped off because I found one nearly fully healed up swimming slightly awkwardly with a bunch of friends of the same species. To get a closer look I shot him and put him out of his misery, so it was just not his day.

I wonder if there is a market for Lionfish burgers with tartar sauce and chopped lettuce and chives, etc. Well just had a quick look and there is such a thing, https://www.caribbeanspicegirl.com/s...onfish-burger/

LIONFISH BURGER
Yield: makes 10 mini-fish burgers
INGREDIENTS
750g lionfish filet, finely chopped
1 red onion, thinly sliced
10 leaves of Boston lettuce, washed
150ml tartar sauce, see recipe below
10 salad buns, halved
butter, for frying
pepper & salt
INSTRUCTIONS
Season the lionfish, divide into 10 equal portions and kneed into small patties. Brown the butter in a frying pan and bake the lionfish, in batches, until browned on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side. Place a salad leave on each bun bottom, put on a fish burger and top with a tablespoon tartar sauce and some sliced onion. Top with the other bun half. Serve immediately.

Print
TARTAR SAUCE
INGREDIENTS
1 cup good quality mayonnaise
juice of 1 lemon
0.5 cup dill pickles, finely chopped
0.25 cup spring onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoons capers, chopped
salt & pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
In a bowl, mix all ingredients. Season to taste.
NOTES
Make sure to chop the ingredients by hand and not in a food processor, or you will get an entirely different sauce.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lionfish-Burger.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	241620  

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-11-2019 at 02:56 PM.