Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
moteman

Band dilemma

I need some expert advice on band size and number. I have an older ScubaPro Panther II gun, the original bands were (3) 1/2" x 20". The distance between muzzle and middle wishbone slot on the spear is 30". Depending on pull ratio it works out to a 18" to 20" band. After looking thru older threads several have mentioned using either 9/16" or 5/8" bands. Others have recommended not using bands heavier than 9/16" multi bands due to " prone to muzzle weakness". Ok, now that all the background is behind me, my question: Which configuration would be best (accuracy, power, penatration) (3) 1/2 x 20", (2 or 3) 9/16 x 18 0r 20", or (1 or 2) 5/8 x 20"? If it helps, the spear is 5/16. This gun is used for Florida SW coast nearshore reef shooting (Mangs, Grouper, smaller AJ and Cobia) with viz often < 20'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SP speargun.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	226096  

Last edited by moteman; 05-10-2016 at 06:29 AM.
moteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
phil herranen

Re: Band dilemma

9/16 . I never use 5/8 on any gun ,they tend to make more recoil than power

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
moteman

Thanks Phil!
Old 05-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
moteman

I was hoping to draw on the collective wisdom of the group, rather than wasting a lot of time and missed fish on trial and error. I am otherwise inclined to try a single 5/8" band cut to 300% and work down from there. Single large bands are popular with euro guns, so there must be something to that configuration.....they have afterall been building spearguns longer than anyone and invented the sport.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
waterstone

Are you free diving those nearshore reefs or scuba? If scuba, then the simplicity of single band pays off in this murk. I hate dealing with 2 bands on the bottom in our viz that's usually under 10 feet and all stirred up. Otherwise a pair of 9/16 makes better gun I found.

If yours were measured as a euro gun, it'd be around 75 or maybe 80cm. Mine is 85cm, not much different. I tried single band, and would only use it for nearshore scuba in the gulf. If you guys regularly get 20' viz out of Punta Gorda, then that's perhaps a different game and 2 bands might be better option.

From threads here over the last 6-9 months, it sounds like what the Europeans started with their single 18 and 20mm band setup is subject to an ever-changing world we live in, and now there's the small-ID bands that just seem to work better. 2 small bands stretched longer than 300% will do more for you.
waterstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:21 AM   #6
moteman

Thanks Waterstone!
I am spearing on scuba, and it's rare that we have 20' viz, 10 is more the norm on the nearshore reefs in the Venice area. I think a single, small ID 5/8" band will probably do well for what I need.

Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #7
FullFlavorPike

Technically speaking, a "dilemma" is a choice between two undesirable outcomes. What you have is more of a "quandary"
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
moteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Technically speaking, a "dilemma" is a choice between two undesirable outcomes. What you have is more of a "quandary"
Thank you for the clearification!
Did you have anything meaningful to add to the thread or do you just enjoy correcting people?
Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by moteman View Post
Thank you for the clearification!
Did you have anything meaningful to add to the thread or do you just enjoy correcting people?
I think of it more as "enriching our collective dialogue"
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote