Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #16
EIGHTWGT

Re: cooking Amberjack

Tony

I see spadefish all the time - never thought about nailin one though...

How are they ?? I was in a school of 500+ of them on one of my last trips off Jax...
EIGHTWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #17
Ironhed

I personally do not understand shooting AJ's They are mean bastards some of the toughest swimmers you will shoot and in my opinion not worth the effort or danger and considering the issue that they may be wormy. I would take all the triggers snapper and grouper and forget the AJ's. I caught a 50# aj hook and line for the sport of reeling it in but no one wanted to eat it over the grouper and snapper. I tried it it was ok fried but not the best. I guess everyone likes different things. I would really like to shoot some dolphin that is my favorite eating
Ironhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #18
Southern Cross

Any way on the grill is good for AJ.

Grill as a steak and top it with some shrimp or crawfish ettouffe.

Also makes a great AJ Burger. Grill a big steak and put it on a bun with some spicy mayo, must, lettuce, Bacon, you get the idea...

AJ Kabobs...cut into small squares and skewer with onion, bell pepper, whatever...Grill on high heat.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #19
Nsearch

IronHed

Quote:
I personally do not understand shooting AJ's They are mean bastards some of the toughest swimmers you will shoot and in my opinion not worth the effort or danger and considering the issue that they may be wormy.
THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT IN WHY THEY ARE SUCH A BLAST TO SHOOT Guess you better stick to snappers and triggerfish
Old 01-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #20
Megabeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhed
I personally do not understand shooting AJ's They are mean bastards some of the toughest swimmers you will shoot and in my opinion not worth the effort or danger and considering the issue that they may be wormy. I would take all the triggers snapper and grouper and forget the AJ's. I caught a 50# aj hook and line for the sport of reeling it in but no one wanted to eat it over the grouper and snapper. I tried it it was ok fried but not the best. I guess everyone likes different things. I would really like to shoot some dolphin that is my favorite eating
I think it is a very valuable experience to the novice/intermediate shooter to go out and lineshaft a 50+ AJ at least once in their life. It TOTALLY rules. It brings out the professional wrestler/rodeo cowboy in all of us. It's not the same as cobia, b/c cobias don't wrap you up, they just thrash their head around. I've had AJ's spin me around so fast repeatedly I was dizzy @ 115 fsw. Just give the fish to some guy at the boat ramp or to a relative or someone you know that will eat anything. Lineshafting large AJs always makes for a killer fish story too.
Megabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #21
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi

Don't worry about the worms, they taste just like AJ

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #22
EIGHTWGT

We hooked and lined some AJ's last summer in the 10-20 pound range - I made them blackened / grilled / fried..... I thought it was just fine as a food fish. The fish was immediately iced, cleaned and handled properly, eaten within a few days after being on ice the whole time - my wife preffered it over other fish...

I'll eat it anytime - but I like anything FRESH.. hell I have eaten false albacores that were immediately bled, immersed in ice... not bad - NOT like yellowfin but just fine although I wouldnt go out lookin for them for supper !

EIGHTWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #23
Corpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabeast
I think it is a very valuable experience to the novice/intermediate shooter to go out and lineshaft a 50+ AJ at least once in their life. It TOTALLY rules. It brings out the professional wrestler/rodeo cowboy in all of us. It's not the same as cobia, b/c cobias don't wrap you up, they just thrash their head around. I've had AJ's spin me around so fast repeatedly I was dizzy @ 115 fsw. Just give the fish to some guy at the boat ramp or to a relative or someone you know that will eat anything. Lineshafting large AJs always makes for a killer fish story too.

Ah yes... thats the bugger that lead to my Did I take a hit? thread. He was only about 35lbs, and we went to war on the bottom. I actually thought I stoned him. He just rolled over and started sinking on his back untill.... I started to bring him in. Thats when all hell broke loose. By the time I finally got him killed and on the stringer, I was at 120fsw, out of air, and my computer is screaming that I am in deco. I would strongly reccomend that if a novice (like me) or anyone else wants to shoot a aj over 15lbs go for it! But make sure you have back up, and make sure you do it at the front end of the dive with lots of air in your tank.
Corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #24
Speargun
Sheepdog

Quote:
.....I tried it it was ok fried but not the best. I guess everyone likes different things. I would really like to shoot some dolphin that is my favorite eating
AJ sucks fried.
It's too oily. Grilled, baked, or any of the other methods mentioned here is ok, but it just doesn't fry well.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:46 PM   #25
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi

My wife has had reasonable success by chunking it up & deep frying it, but I agree that it isn't the best way to cook it.

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:21 AM   #26
DryEspo

Send a message via Yahoo to DryEspo

Spaghetti Fish -
I am sorry, all your recipes sound great... But for another species!
NC guy is right on, not rumors. AJ's are loaded with worms. Ive cleaned zillions. The ones that are not, are too small to keep.
We have multiple Groupers, snappers, awsome Hog fish, 2 kinds of lobster, just to name a few... Why in GODS name would you eat an AJ ?
Now, in contrast, smoked, they make a decent fish spread, but you still have to get past the worm thing.. It's Madeira beach, not Survivor Island..

Just my 2 cents.
DryEspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:37 PM   #27
Blind Squirrel

Brian,

Ice bath is just a pot of water in fridge with Ice in it that keeps fish just above freezing. Even Vacuum packing, IMHO, aj is only good for dip after freezing. If you are going to fry aj, Drakes is my fav.

Sean Gucken
Just a Spearfisherman helping to protect ALL recreational fishermen

www.ccaflorida.org
www.thefra.org
"Big Pig Drunken Divers Club"

Join CCA
Blind Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #28
Nsearch

Thanks Sean
Old 02-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #29
Ironhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NsearchOFfish
IronHed

THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT IN WHY THEY ARE SUCH A BLAST TO SHOOT Guess you better stick to snappers and triggerfish
I will shoot one for sport then just for you if I ever get the chance too. I will have to make sure the line gun is in full effect I know how those guys can run.
Ironhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #30
Grauer
warped perspective

Quote:
I will shoot one for sport then just for you if I ever get the chance too. I will have to make sure the line gun is in full effect I know how those guys can run.

Just for sport ? WTF?

Why would you say something like that in public forum, maybe you should re-word your previous post. My .02

Hit up the west coast of FLA for a jack, that way after you get rodeoed you can eat the beast. That is if he doesnt drag you to Mexico

I like fresh aj cubed and wrapped in bacon marinated in teryaki sauce hmmmmmmmm hmmmmm Good

Chris

The 20 ton whale shark has entered the room! 2007 St. Pete Open! August 17, 18, and 19! Enter Now!
www.StPeteOpen.com
Grauer is offline   Reply With Quote