Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #16
Alec

Re: Middle Ear Infection Prevention

Get somebody to mark your ears with a sharpie on the hood, using a heated needle poke the sharpie mark. Woah-lah no more flooding of the ears
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:11 PM   #17
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveincanada View Post
A while ago when I thought, like you that it was infection problems, I got "Doc's Proplugs" (vented ear plus for diving). They didn't change much for me and I stoped using them but if your problem is infection, then maybe give them a try.
Good luck !
Most of us dive with a hooded open cell suit. The vented plugs can seem like a solution but can themselves cause a hood squeeze when the plastic plug seals against the neoprene hood. Happened to a friend of mine once when we were out training. He was at about 75' he said when he felt his ear suddenly just go, came up with a little blood leaking out of his ear and busted ear drum. This wasn't an issue of stupid technique and head position at depth, it was the ear plug. Needless to say he quit wearing the vented ear plugs.

A few years ago I was having major issues primarily around my sinuses. Bad sinus infection with no chance at a break--I freedive for a living so it was combo of over training, over working, including a LOT of hours in a freshwater tank. It sounds really hippy-dippy but daily humming and alternate nostril breathing really seemed to help (I tried every medicine, neti-pot, etc). Humming and nasal breathing promotes release of nitric oxide in the mucus membranes. Nitric oxide is a natural anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and also has anti-inflammatory properties.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #18
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveincanada View Post
Hey buddy, I can relate to most of your problems.
But if you're saying that antihistamines are solving your problems, then most of you problems are due to congestion and not infection.
Infection would be something getting into your ear and infecting it. Then you need antibiotic to solve your problem.
If you're having congestion problems due to allergies, then you inner tubes are swollen and when you push to equalize, you get irritation and its starts inflammation in your inner ear. Than you can't equalize and huts like hell.
You're right, it is congestion as the root of the problem. The allergies is causing congestion of mucus in my sinuses which is pushing into my middle ear then creating the scenario in my ear to become possible infected. Thankfully since I've started taking the antihistamines I haven't gotten another ear infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post
Alternate between Claritin & Zyrtec.
Seems to help keep them effective.
Thanks. I'm going to start doing this. My body has gotten used to other OTC drugs in the past making them less effective.

It doesn't seem like what I experienced was common. Most of the posts on the internet about ear infection and swimming are due to treating the ear canal with drops, for swimmers ear. I realize now that was not what I was constantly getting.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #19
sealark

When I hit 40 I would get ear infections every time I spent more than a couple hours a day in the water. Then I started using the recipe below after EVERY dive. I haven’t had an ear infection in 40 years. I always have a bottle on board and in my truck. I just take the cap off hold my finger over the opening and let a small amount go down into each ear.
All the materials are available at any drug store for less than $10.00. The Alcohol dries the water, The boric acid is what your grandmother used for infections and the white vinegar keeps the wax from drying up because of the alcohol.

Ear wash recipe
1 Pint 70% or less % Isopropyl Alcohol
Boric acid powder 6 oz. jar is more than enough to make several bottlers
White Vinegar

Pour out about 2" of the alcohol out.

Pour or put about 2 Table spoons Boric acid into Alcohol and shake up. If acid remains in powder on bottom you have enough if not add until a small amount remains on bottom. Only a certain % will go into solution so you can't overdue the Boric Acid. Fill the remaining area in the bottle with white vinegar and shake up. The solution is now ready to use.

I usually buy 3 or 4 bottles of alcohol and mix them up in a big bowl then pour them back mixed up into the alcohol bottles. This way the powder on the bottom remains in the bowl and won’t make your ears white when the solution dries out after pouring it into your ears. I am 77 now and still Dive Can't remember the last Ear infection.

Last edited by sealark; 01-17-2021 at 05:12 PM.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:54 PM   #20
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
Most of us dive with a hooded open cell suit. The vented plugs can seem like a solution but can themselves cause a hood squeeze when the plastic plug seals against the neoprene hood. Happened to a friend of mine once when we were out training. He was at about 75' he said when he felt his ear suddenly just go, came up with a little blood leaking out of his ear and busted ear drum. This wasn't an issue of stupid technique and head position at depth, it was the ear plug. Needless to say he quit wearing the vented ear plugs.

A few years ago I was having major issues primarily around my sinuses. Bad sinus infection with no chance at a break--I freedive for a living so it was combo of over training, over working, including a LOT of hours in a freshwater tank. It sounds really hippy-dippy but daily humming and alternate nostril breathing really seemed to help (I tried every medicine, neti-pot, etc). Humming and nasal breathing promotes release of nitric oxide in the mucus membranes. Nitric oxide is a natural anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and also has anti-inflammatory properties.
How do you alternate your nostril breathing? I'm assuming with a plug in one?

Even with me taking antihistamines and nasal sprays, I still find that one nostril is fairly plugged up. May have to at least give the humming a try.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote