Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #46
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Re: File fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dykoke1 View Post
As far as pros and cons on subject topics, there is nothing wrong with a negative opinion to my views. I enjoy the negatives more so as it gives me insight into my rational of thinking. I know I am a #$@&^$ and I have come to accept that my belief system can be flawed that is why I post so topics to hear the chatter.

I do read every thing.
I agree as well. If you don't have discourse and the ability to defend and test your point of view then how can you be sure you fully believe it. Changing ones mind is a mark of an open mind that is willing to challenge itself as much as others.
Good thread guys
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #47
Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterBelow View Post
catch too many and then the seafood markets will stop taking them...
This guy always has something to complain about.
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #48
Dykoke1
DYKOKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
This guy always has something to complain about.
Reilly. Always remember to know were a persons mind set is when he writes his opinion on a subject. We ( I ) usually assume that this forum is primarily recreations spear fishermen. In most cases this assumption will be correct. There are quite a few young commercial fishermen / divers on this thread also.

I have found that most "commercial fishermen" Always have something to complain about. Its more of a life style. Especially when it comes to resource and entitlement. That just what comes, when we share a resource between different user groups such as commercial, charter and recreational fisheries. JupiterBelow sees him self as a commercial fisherman, thus is rightfully fearful of encroachment into a fishery that is already heavily stress even before his interdiction.

There is a stock assessment on mackerel next year. Kings spawn here in May and July and their numbers are falling. It is a no brainer that they will be protected from harvest while off shore of Jupiter with in the next two years. This will be a end of a life style for many fishermen. A job changer to say the least. Few fishermen possess the proper paperwork to fish multiple fisheries.
Most like my son just fish the unregulated fisheries and mackerel ( Spanish and/or king )

When we dive off shore here in PBC and look hard, it is easy to see there is very little bottom for resource to thrive on. When we surface and look around at all the boats trying to catch that resource, there is but on conclusion. There are to many of us!

One good commercial dive boat is capable of devastating all of PBC and up to Martin county line. This was the case when I was diving 20 years ago. There are no fish left. That is why I stopped. My generation killed them all off. Your generation just wont let them get a good foot hold to get back in any real numbers. A few new comers believe the dream that they are commercial and can thrive on the wind fall the sea can bestow upon them. I guess since they sell a few small fish from time to time they are living the illusion of the dream. Thus are true commercial fishermen.

I am hope full that, thing are going to change in our seas. That the dream of a life as a commercial fisherman can once again fill the minds of young people with a shred of real promise.

But for now it is simply a illusion, for most of them a life style.
Migrant workers make more than commercial fishermen do.
Catching fish is much better than picking tomatoes any day.

So there will always be fishermen among us.

Remember Jesus pick commercial fishermen to follow him. Probably because they are usually great talkers and filled with hope despite over welling odds stacked against them.
Dykoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #49
diverlen

Mke, that is a great post and explains the fishery and the pressure that exists off Palm Beach County. As the days pass, it brings on more boats and fishermen, H&L, divers and commercial whatever. Without additional regulations to control this decline, I don't see us ever having a viable fishery here again for snapper or grouper. The nassau grouper is a classic example and now for all practical purposes extinct and never to rise again.
The young guns on this forum have not lived long enough to fully understand what has taken place off our shores. Bottom line, the future does not look good.

Last edited by diverlen; 07-20-2012 at 02:23 PM.
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #50
JupiterBelow
No Tanks

Send a message via AIM to JupiterBelow

very true post. theres no money in commercial fishing and never will be. as a 3rd generation commercial fisherman, i know that i will be the last in my family because theres just nothing left.
JupiterBelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #51
dbSALT

Send a message via Skype™ to dbSALT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dykoke1 View Post
Reilly. Always remember to know were a persons mind set is when he writes his opinion on a subject. We ( I ) usually assume that this forum is primarily recreations spear fishermen. In most cases this assumption will be correct. There are quite a few young commercial fishermen / divers on this thread also.

I have found that most "commercial fishermen" Always have something to complain about. Its more of a life style. Especially when it comes to resource and entitlement. That just what comes, when we share a resource between different user groups such as commercial, charter and recreational fisheries. JupiterBelow sees him self as a commercial fisherman, thus is rightfully fearful of encroachment into a fishery that is already heavily stress even before his interdiction.

There is a stock assessment on mackerel next year. Kings spawn here in May and July and their numbers are falling. It is a no brainer that they will be protected from harvest while off shore of Jupiter with in the next two years. This will be a end of a life style for many fishermen. A job changer to say the least. Few fishermen possess the proper paperwork to fish multiple fisheries.
Most like my son just fish the unregulated fisheries and mackerel ( Spanish and/or king )

When we dive off shore here in PBC and look hard, it is easy to see there is very little bottom for resource to thrive on. When we surface and look around at all the boats trying to catch that resource, there is but on conclusion. There are to many of us!

One good commercial dive boat is capable of devastating all of PBC and up to Martin county line. This was the case when I was diving 20 years ago. There are no fish left. That is why I stopped. My generation killed them all off. Your generation just wont let them get a good foot hold to get back in any real numbers. A few new comers believe the dream that they are commercial and can thrive on the wind fall the sea can bestow upon them. I guess since they sell a few small fish from time to time they are living the illusion of the dream. Thus are true commercial fishermen.

I am hope full that, thing are going to change in our seas. That the dream of a life as a commercial fisherman can once again fill the minds of young people with a shred of real promise.

But for now it is simply a illusion, for most of them a life style.
Migrant workers make more than commercial fishermen do.
Catching fish is much better than picking tomatoes any day.

So there will always be fishermen among us.

Remember Jesus pick commercial fishermen to follow him. Probably because they are usually great talkers and filled with hope despite over welling odds stacked against them.
Most insightful post of yours I've read. Says quite a bit.
dbSALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #52
Nano

Sorry for digging up an old thread but my buddy and I had a debate on Filefish yesterday and he cited that the Fish Rules iPhone app (see attached) said they were all good.

Pretty sure the app won't stand up as defense in court, but it was interesting nonetheless (considering as far as I can tell the previous laws mentioned in this thread haven't changed).

What's your opinion on this app?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5943.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	200995  
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #53
Roc N Rol

If you will look in the state regs on the Marine Life-Fish regulations chart on top of page 20 of the pfd version, the Filefish an trigger fish are listed together 3rd line and in the remarks to the right it says "EXCEPT Unicorn filefish, grey triggerfish and ocean triggerfish. So you are all wrong, they are not poisonous, they are not protected and you can take them by spear or h&l. No limit in federal water and a 100# limit in state water per person.

Crazzzy Day Offshore Fishing
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...e-Fishing-Trip
Roc N Rol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #54
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc N Rol View Post
If you will look in the state regs on the Marine Life-Fish regulations chart on top of page 20 of the pfd version, the Filefish an trigger fish are listed together 3rd line and in the remarks to the right it says "EXCEPT Unicorn filefish, grey triggerfish and ocean triggerfish. So you are all wrong, they are not poisonous, they are not protected and you can take them by spear or h&l. No limit in federal water and a 100# limit in state water per person.
They were previously off limits to spearfisherman in Florida waters. I think they fell under ornamental fish or something. Anyway they changed the law about a year ago...
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #55
Vengeance Bros.
Sacrifcial Lamb

Basic rule of thumb is if it's pretty or really colorful it's usually illegal to shoot. With some exceptions of course. I'm surprised we can shoot hog-fish - I mean c'mon they are so damn pretty right? tasty too!

Same goes for the the lowly but pretty porkfish... People shooting 'em and people eating and or selling/buying them - I've seen and heard of instances of it many times. Also recently filefish... Oh and parrot fish before too. Apparently to many all fine eating fish and we have lots of them on the reefs it sometimes.

Someone had mentioned "small market" for filefish lol - emabarrassed yet?!... Hahaha! It's FLORIDA... enough violations going on in this state any day of the week to make several prime time L.E. "reality" shows out of all the stooges they bust for dumb shit. There seems to be a small market for everything in the sea here if you know the right folks. And yeah, there are plenty of folks out there who'll eat just about any fish that swims.

Tomorrow I'm gonna go get me a messload of blue angelfish and a few Nassau grouper... call it a day yuppers... Do work
Vengeance Bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #56
Roc N Rol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
They were previously off limits to spearfisherman in Florida waters. I think they fell under ornamental fish or something. Anyway they changed the law about a year ago...
Thanks for pointing out that they changed it, then at the time of this thread start you were all RIGHT, but some have not gotten the word of the change. Never speared one, have let the kids catch them.

Crazzzy Day Offshore Fishing
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...e-Fishing-Trip
Roc N Rol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #57
Dykoke1
DYKOKE

They are damn good eating and with the water quality issues there will be lots of jelly fish so there will be lots of triggers too.
Dykoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote