Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
Ocean meat

Budget jbl pole spear mod

Seen a lot of jbl mod posts and from what I pieced together is two main changes that can make this spear pretty decent for the money. Plugging the pole and changing the band.
For the plug I read that some people used a wine cork. At first glance by size comparison its seems impossible to jam a huge cork into that small end entrance but it can be done!! Took me 2 hours without fancy equipment (I just used a pen and the end of my table)
For the band I went to spear america where the guy built me a custom hand tied band. The rim of the aluminum was a bit sharp for the cord so I just looped electrical tape as a buffer
Kept the cost of this mod below 20 bucks pretty cheap and this spear is light years ahead in speed and power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161108_211844.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	229883   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161108_211818-1.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	229884   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161108_211827-1.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	229885  
Ocean meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
phil herranen

Re: Budget jbl pole spear mod

Speed will be faster but power will be the same ,and penetration will be worse

Kn =mass x velocity squared , so fast and light will have the same power as heavy and slow. But heavy will have more resistance to change in speed so a light spear will tend to bounce where a heavy spear will penetrate.

With a light spear you must keep your tip very sharp or you will just bounce off fish

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
Ocean meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
Speed will be faster but power will be the same ,and penetration will be worse

Kn =mass x velocity squared , so fast and light will have the same power as heavy and slow. But heavy will have more resistance to change in speed so a light spear will tend to bounce where a heavy spear will penetrate.

With a light spear you must keep your tip very sharp or you will just bounce off fish
Right on it amigo! Thanks for the tip. So this set up might not have the penetration I'm looking for for punching through sand?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161112_135722.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	229895  
Old 11-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean meat View Post
Right on it amigo! Thanks for the tip. So this set up might not have the penetration I'm looking for for punching through sand?
If you're using it for halibut heavy is a good thing .light is good for fish like calico that will move before a slow spear gets to them

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #5
Ocean meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
If you're using it for halibut heavy is a good thing .light is good for fish like calico that will move before a slow spear gets to them
Ah well I've only spotted 2 halibut on all my dives (maybe cause of my experience level) so guess I won't be filling my pole with epoxy for the extra weight just yet. Speed feels super good tho I can chase down fish that dont run so intensely
Old 11-12-2016, 10:09 PM   #6
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

Deburr the edges before inserting the cork / glue. Sand the cork down some before stuffing it in there.

Phil is correct on the Mass and Velocity. Many just think about speed as the end all. Both need to be considered to optimize.

Many folks add a screw on weight behind the tip to add mass to the spear for more "punch". This feature allows the diver to have both options and decide through trial and error what works best for them.

Sharp tips are just like sharp fish hooks. I always carry a slotted stone for hooks when I'm fishing. Learned that from an "Old Timer" when I was a small fry.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:41 AM   #7
Ocean meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linghunt View Post
Deburr the edges before inserting the cork / glue. Sand the cork down some before stuffing it in there.

Phil is correct on the Mass and Velocity. Many just think about speed as the end all. Both need to be considered to optimize.

Many folks add a screw on weight behind the tip to add mass to the spear for more "punch". This feature allows the diver to have both options and decide through trial and error what works best for them.

Sharp tips are just like sharp fish hooks. I always carry a slotted stone for hooks when I'm fishing. Learned that from an "Old Timer" when I was a small fry.
Ah you talking about something like this? Can't seem to find its exact weight tho on the site this is advertised as an adapter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2016-11-12-23-38-17.png
Views:	370
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	229898  
Old 12-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #8
hatterasfreedvr

Don't swim around with the band cocked or you will get tennis elbow and that blows goats.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #9
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterasfreedvr View Post
Don't swim around with the band cocked or you will get tennis elbow and that blows goats.
Or if you aren't into goats, you can just get a pole spear resting hook and swim around with it loaded all the time.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:17 AM   #10
Ocean meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterasfreedvr View Post
Haha I only go half cocked
F ing love goats tho
Thanks for the tips everyone learned everything I know from this site
Old 12-03-2016, 04:51 AM   #11
Linghunt

Quote:
Ah you talking about something like this? Can't seem to find its exact weight tho on the site this is advertised as an adapter
Just saw your post. That JBL adapter weights ~ 0.3 oz

Here is a Brass weight I made for front end loading ~ 3.2 oz

Old 12-03-2016, 05:35 AM   #12
Ocean meat

Quote:
Just saw your post. That JBL adapter weights ~ 0.3 oz

Here is a Brass weight I made for front end loading ~ 3.2 oz

In behalf of me and probably every other noob on spearboard I can say that Linghunt you are an Fing godsend
Old 12-03-2016, 06:38 AM   #13
Linghunt

I listen well to what folks want. The one's that tell lots of detail and not much application, are the most interesting. I just get to wonder what they are doing....

I've made some heavy ones before, filled tubes with lead. Thought it was a little crazy till I thought about it some.

Strangest spearing request I have had was for a design for shooting Whales to mount GPS trackers. Had to figure out a method for alignment of the Tracker on the gun shaft. I had a couple Jam nuts along with mount so the diver could lock it in correct position on the gun.

That was a fun job to be involved in.

Helping a Lady with her closet now and some crazy clothes rods. Everyone blew her off, I was her last chance before giving up. Been time consuming but rewarding to be able to help her.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #14
Ocean meat

Quote:
I listen well to what folks want. The one's that tell lots of detail and not much application, are the most interesting. I just get to wonder what they are doing....

I've made some heavy ones before, filled tubes with lead. Thought it was a little crazy till I thought about it some.

Strangest spearing request I have had was for a design for shooting Whales to mount GPS trackers. Had to figure out a method for alignment of the Tracker on the gun shaft. I had a couple Jam nuts along with mount so the diver could lock it in correct position on the gun.

That was a fun job to be involved in.

Helping a Lady with her closet now and some crazy clothes rods. Everyone blew her off, I was her last chance before giving up. Been time consuming but rewarding to be able to help her.
Got any extra weights just laying round? I know you are a busy guy dont wanna trouble ya too much
Old 12-10-2016, 04:16 AM   #15
Linghunt

Quote:
Got any extra weights just laying round? I know you are a busy guy dont wanna trouble ya too much
If a weight is just a chuck of metal, yes. Got some shorts out of 13/16" SS ~ 3- 4" long.

Each rod leaves a short running them on CNC.