Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:17 PM   #1
hunter1895

Which Crist

I am having trouble deciding on which Crist spear to get. I am torn between the 8 foot Phoenix and 9 foot Zeus. Please help
hunter1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
isibrigade
Dustin McIntyre

Re: Which Crist

8 foot Phoenix - dodge Cummings diesel
9 foot Zeus- Mack truck
If your looking for something that will become a blue water machine, go with the Zeus. If you are looking for something a little more versatile that can crossover into smaller fish without a problem, the Phoenix is a nice balance of speed and mass. Both spears are made in the USA, you’ll know when you hold em.

Also note that the Phoenix heads will also fit all the Gatku heads. They are almost identical.

www.GATKU.com
www.CRISTSPEARS.com
isibrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
cacique

Re: Which Crist

I bought one of the big Crist's a few years ago and it has lain unused since the first couple of tries. What they don't tell you about these spears is just how much strength you need to even wield one, let alone load it. Ok i'm not a big guy at 5'6 and 150lbs but whether you have the hand strenght of Alex Honnold or not, the fact is none of the other popular spears I own, Gatku, Crist's Phoenix, Riffe, Sea Stinger, really require any significant effort to get fully loaded.

So my advice is only buy one of the 3/4" Christ spears if you really need one, which is to say if you're hunting big, relavtively slow moving or static fish. To which i would add, and only if you are rather a big fish yourself.

My go-to spear is a 6' Christ Phoenix with a custom 24" flopper. I don't have experience of sticking this in anything over 12lbs - that's fine with me - but i can say that for me this setup handles these lighter duties better than any of the spears mentioned above. Why? because the truth is that although carbon spears can look and feel great out of the water, at the end of the day a solid unbending aluminuim spear coupled with a long shaft that minimises overall drag as you bring the spear into the aim, is simply a more practical tool for the job.

Last edited by cacique; 01-16-2019 at 02:17 AM.
cacique is offline   Reply With Quote