Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Off-Topic

California Off-Topic Remember that politics/religion and general off-topic belong in Special Forums.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Don B

San Francisco local food

I am traveling to San Francisco the first week of Sep. with my wife for 5 days of hanging out. I would like some good restaurant recommendations, from the locals. Being from New Orleans I know how easy it is to get sent to all the tourist traps, this we would like to avoid, so where are some "must go" places?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Tommy T

Re: San Francisco local food

Hey Don,
Where are you staying? I will fire up a list of a few of my favorites. Are you bussing it or will you have a rental car? Between North Beach, Chinatown, & The Mission you pretty much can't go wrong. Just look for the local crowds & dive in! The Ferry Building has some great grub too. Don't eat at Fishermens Wharf (except In n Out!). There are better places to get seafood. The weather has been awesome. Later. T
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
IceColdChuck

If you go out to dinner at one restaurant I recommend Pasión in the inner sunset district at 9th and Irving. Amazing food (mostly peruvian, great ceviches) a little pricey but not ridiculous and although it feels upscale and fancy in its service and presentation it's not snobbish or pretentious and I have eaten there in jeans and flip flops many times. I am an SF native and this would be the spot I recommend. If possible have an early dinner on a Thursday night and then walk over to the Academy of Science in GG park (5 min walk) for drinks while you walk around the aquarium, 6-10pm Thursdays the Academy is $12/person and 21 and over only.

www.CharlesLaKamp.com
IceColdChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
IceColdChuck

+1 Don't eat at Fisherman's Wharf

www.CharlesLaKamp.com
Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Tommy T

Three favorites in order:
http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/bl...sf.com%2F#2798

http://www.woodhousefish.com/

http://www.mamacitasf.com/
Old 08-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
cheetah chrome

Not a local but every time I am in SF I visit http://www.neweritrearestaurant.com.
cheetah chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
Don B

We are staying at the Argonnaut hotel at the Aquatic Park, I wanted a bridge/bay view for the wife. Thanks for the suggestions, we are looking for the real San Francisco eats, the wharf is farthest from our desires. We will mostly travel by cab or public trolley, but we are going to rent a car for a couple days as we plan on going north for a day or two in the parks. Price wise nothing is off the table we plan on doing high end dinners or rolling in the grunge, as long as it's good. Being from N.O. we get it, that it does not have to be expensive to be good, but also a city like SF, has some off the wall high end dinners that should not be missed.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
bigjim
No White Flags

I'm not an SF native or local but when my wife and I are up in the city we like ChaChaCha:

http://www.cha3.com/cha-cha-cha---mission---about.html

If you've ever been to Lola's over by the fairgrounds it's a similar style of food...I like Lola's better though.

My folks are still in Lakeview and I make it back to NOLA once or twice a year.

You doing any diving while you're out here??

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 08-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
joshrau

Send a message via AIM to joshrau

There are some good recommendations above.

I would also add Mission Chinese Food, which is a not so traditional chinese restaurant.

Limon Rotisserie is another cool place

If you have a chance to get out to eat in Oakland, I actually think the food scene there is a hair better than in SF, which is saying a lot.
joshrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Shootafish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceColdChuck View Post
If you go out to dinner at one restaurant I recommend Pasión in the inner sunset district at 9th and Irving. Amazing food (mostly peruvian, great ceviches) a little pricey but not ridiculous and although it feels upscale and fancy in its service and presentation it's not snobbish or pretentious and I have eaten there in jeans and flip flops many times. I am an SF native and this would be the spot I recommend. If possible have an early dinner on a Thursday night and then walk over to the Academy of Science in GG park (5 min walk) for drinks while you walk around the aquarium, 6-10pm Thursdays the Academy is $12/person and 21 and over only.
Granted, this is off topic. Why promote the Academy of Sciences, aka Steinhart Aquarium? They are owned by Hewlett Packard, which was a major player in funding the MLPA fiasco, shutting down spearfishing and fishing in much of California.

"Look back in forgiveness, forward in hope, down in compassion, and up with gratitude."

Zig Ziglar
Shootafish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
kengolding

The stinking rose,

All garlic and delicious.
kengolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
IceColdChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootafish2 View Post
Granted, this is off topic. Why promote the Academy of Sciences, aka Steinhart Aquarium? They are owned by Hewlett Packard, which was a major player in funding the MLPA fiasco, shutting down spearfishing and fishing in much of California.
Seriously? Where do I start? It's a non profit organization with many corporate sponsors, it is not "owned" by Hewlett Packard, in fact they are not even a prime corporate sponsor. Why promote it? Cuz it's a fun activity and if I were from out of town I would enjoy it. I can understand your distaste for the MLPA but by extension of that logic you might as well encourage people to boycott all of California. Isn't there another section for politics?

www.CharlesLaKamp.com
Old 08-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #13
Tommy T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootafish2 View Post
Nah, you're thinking of that Monterey aquarium "owned" by Julie Packard. Hey, didn't you know that she owns the ocean too & all the fish in it are hers!!!
Stienhart is cool but the old one they replaced was epic. Good grub in the cafeteria though-some of it by Charles Phan (Sliding Door). Don't bother with his new joint on Valencia Street though. Also, Mission Chinese ain't what it used to be. Good luck & have fun here! T
Old 08-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Shootafish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceColdChuck View Post
Seriously? Where do I start? It's a non profit organization with many corporate sponsors, it is not "owned" by Hewlett Packard, in fact they are not even a prime corporate sponsor. Why promote it? Cuz it's a fun activity and if I were from out of town I would enjoy it. I can understand your distaste for the MLPA but by extension of that logic you might as well encourage people to boycott all of California. Isn't there another section for politics?
Apologies. You are correct in that I should have kept politics out of this forum. I'll go along with that point.

"Look back in forgiveness, forward in hope, down in compassion, and up with gratitude."

Zig Ziglar
Shootafish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
Don B

Some very good info thanks to all. Has anyone tried the Pacific Café? A friend tells me it's a great local seafood place far from the tourist.

Sounds kind of crazy, A tourist trying not to be a tourist.

Also was told about the Cajun Pacific Café, I thought really, travel from New Orleans to SF to eat Cajun? Added note if you travel to Louisiana and see something that starts with Cajun, run the other way.