Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Recipe Corner > Recipes Here!

Recipes Here! Here's your little corner to demonstrate your culinary skills.

Old 11-05-2003, 06:38 PM   #1
OceanEd

Vaccume Sealing Machines

Has anyone had experience with the Vaccume Sealing machines out there? I have friends who swear by them but have never used one myself.

Any suggestions on what make or model is better than any other?
Old 11-05-2003, 06:42 PM   #2
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Check out this thread: http://www.spearboard.com/forum/show...&threadid=2664
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 07:53 PM   #3
maddog

Send a message via Yahoo to maddog
frozen

Yea I got a FOOD SAVER for Xmass last year. Love it . You"ll find buying bulk bags on the roll make for versatility and save cost. Really nice to have to store fresh tuna slabs,its practically the only way I"ll freeze Wahoo,tuna or Mackerel. The food lasts and stacks well.
maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:03 AM   #4
Slay Ride

Don't walk, run to get one. If you're a true sportsman you'll use it for everything. I got the pro model and it has more flexibility than the others and a more powerful motor. You'll find it useful for tools, flares and potato chip (no vacuum) to seal up against salt intrusion. Good stuff. Les
Old 11-06-2003, 03:26 PM   #5
one_lucky_shot

is vacume beter than freezing in water?? i know it has to stack better
one_lucky_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:14 PM   #6
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Vacuum sealing works GREAT when they work. Easily stack fish, easy/faster to defrost, keeps freezer burn away. We've had problems with getting them to seal, mostly attributed to the water from the fish getting sucked up to where the heater element seals the bag, causing it not to seal. Can be a pain in the ass. This still happens after drying the fish really well with paper towels. Anybody else experience this? Have you found any solutions to this problem?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:18 PM   #7
Spearchucker

What brand are you using? I have not had this problem, and I try to seal my fish when they are very wet, helps to "frost" then over good.
Spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:22 PM   #8
Marcus

Quote:
What brand are you using? I have not had this problem, and I try to seal my fish when they are very wet, helps to "frost" then over good.

Don't know the brand name right now, but I can't see how your's gets around this problem. Mine sucks the bag down, bringing all the water up to the vacuum chamber which is after the heating element which melts the bag to seal it. The water sucks up the heat and the bag doesn't seal.

How does yours get past this problem?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 11-06-2003, 06:07 PM   #9
Charlestondivin

I place my fish in the bag and put them in the freezer for a while with the bag open before vac sealing. Firms up the filets and ices any of the water so that it doesnt get pulled past the sealing element. Before i did that my bags would never seal.
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 06:52 PM   #10
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

I dry my filets and leave enough space in the bag between the fish and the seal so it doesn't get too wet there. I also put a paper towel or napkin underneath the meat to absorb moiture - particularly when sealing duck and goose breasts on the bone.
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 07:37 PM   #11
Spearchucker

Don't know, but my vacuum chamber is full of juice, and the bags are sealed up tight when I am done.
Spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 08:14 PM   #12
gulfdiver
Nothern Gulf Dive-Aholic

Roll a paper towel and put it about a inch back from the seal this catches the water. You don't dry the fish all the way out, leave it damp.
http://www.gulfdiver.net
gulfdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 08:34 PM   #13
tomt

Ditto on the Vacuum sealer machines. Try folding a paper towel and cutting it to fit from side to side between the meat and sealing area. It stops any juice from geeting in the machine.
tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 09:56 PM   #14
OceanEd

Thanks for all the info. They are now selling the FoodSaver at BJ's for $139 and 2 rolls of bags cost $17.

In December I will be leaving for the southern Bahamas for 3 months so I will pick one up before I go.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:48 AM   #15
Marcus

"Don't know, but my vacuum chamber is full of juice, and the bags are sealed up tight when I am done."

John,
Please post the manufacturer of your machine. Thanks.

Rob,

Good idea, freezing them slightly first...