Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
FullFlavorPike

Barcelona spearfishing?

Anybody on here in BCN and wanna take a Californian-in-exile out for a dive?
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Cuda23

Re: Barcelona spearfishing?

Good luck man. The Spanish love their seafood and are really good at killing anything that we would pass up here in the states. My wife is from Spain and I've gone freediving a couple of times in Calpe on the Med while visting her parents. Its about 350 Km from Barcelona and way less populated than Barcelona. The water was crazy clear and it looked really fishy. I never saw a fish worth shooting the entire time.

I went to the wholesale market where they were auctioning off fish and in a hour didn't see a fish over a pound in weight. Barcelona is my favorite place in Spain. The people and food are amazing. It's a beautiful place and you will have a great time. But I can't imagine spearfishing would be any good there.
Cuda23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
FullFlavorPike

Even if the fishing isn't all that (and it would be hard to beat the standards set for me by SoCal), I miss the water and wanna make some new friends who share a common interest. Plus, I think this would be a good chance to work on my diving for next summer in SD

On the plus side, no sharks here to eat what fish you can get!
Old 01-31-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
Cuda23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Even if the fishing isn't all that (and it would be hard to beat the standards set for me by SoCal), I miss the water and wanna make some new friends who share a common interest. Plus, I think this would be a good chance to work on my diving for next summer in SD

On the plus side, no sharks here to eat what fish you can get!
Same here man, Its a great place you'll have fun.
Cuda23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
Marco

If you already have learned to speak (and write) Spanish, I suggest you to post your request in www.pescasub.com

You can say that Marco sent you there.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
If you already have learned to speak (and write) Spanish, I suggest you to post your request in www.pescasub.com

You can say that Marco sent you there.
My Spanish is crap, but I can get my wife to translate for me

These guys look like they're having fun: https://www.facebook.com/ArponesMore...=page_internal

Maybe I will see if they have any cool guns for sale.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
paolo

I spent about 2-3 weeks close to almeria and dove half the time. I can tell you , get ready to shoot small fish. Good target practise. I'm not a great freediver, so i sticked to the shore. I managed to get a double whammy on two nice trout (lubina) who were cruising the shoreline in shallow water in a school. The bigger one was about maybe 20" and the smaller one maybe like 17 or so. Those are nice fish there. I also managed a big bream about 12" or so long.
My advice, either look for deep spots (80' or more) with structure and try after dentex or grouper, or then stick to the shore, really really close. I mean, 3' of water. Take a peek into those big cement boulders around the jetties. Bigger fish (you'd be surprised how big) gonin there and hide during the day. So be sure to take a flashlight and peek waaay in there. There can be corvinas (the spanish kind), grouper, big bream, trout, conger eels, etc. and also, move like a sloth when you're by the shore, and i mean really really slow.
But if you want to eat fish, you'll be better of going to the market. At least spain seems better for fishing to me then italy.
Good luck and have fun in spain, love that country
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote