Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #61
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Re: Coast Guard rescues missing divers

Good job telling the story Lisa. I am so glad you shared the extensive details for everyone to reflect on. I do every dive these days with my VHF radio/GPS underwater canister that many have adopted like Johnoly and others. The bottom line is that bad stuff happens out there no matter what we do for safety. We should take time to examine what we are doing. I recently added the big yellow garbage bags that Dave (Gcraker89) supplied me. Thanks for the report, Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #62
keezdiver
Resident Fish Biologist

Send a message via AIM to keezdiver

glad those involved finally chimed in and told the story. i SO wanted to....but it wasn't my place.

i thank a sound minded diver (lisa and barry) and a sound minded captain (steve).

i mean...if lisa had been lost at sea....who would have done the ceremony for Jess and my wedding in the tortugas?? i mean really...

way to think of US lisa.

kidding kidding...kidding

quite a few hugs were exchanged at the weigh-in between lisa and myself. and handshakes with barry and steve.

i couldn't help but think of nikki....although i knew her...not as well as i knew lisa.
and i couldn't help but think that nikki was looking over them.

dive save brothers and sisters.....
Accepting donations of beer, food, gas or numbers...for a ride
I'm a car fanatic...my web page with pics
keezdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #63
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile Re: Coast Guard rescues missing divers

Quote:
Originally Posted by keezdiver View Post
i couldn't help but think of nikki....although i knew her...not as well as i knew lisa. and i couldn't help but think that nikki was looking over them.
Jeff, that thought flashed through my mind too. We all miss her so much and know she is a guardian angel for us divers. Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 AM   #64
UaVaj

Wow. Thanks for sharing. You story has already saved one life.

Due to the currents down here - Too many things can go wrong too quick too easy. I dont' think I will get in the water again until I get all my backup's backup safety gear straighten out.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #65
ApneaSpearo
surfunc

wow, that is quite a story, glad you are all okay

Videos available at https://www.youtube.com/user/ApneaSpearo/videos
ApneaSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #66
mcbas
Bon vivant, raconteur

Lisa:
Now that I have heard all sides of the story, I have come to the conclusion that you were very lucky to have been stranded with a man of Barry's strength of character, will and fortitude. You were lucky to have him at your side keeping you calm and sane. From the sound of it, you would not have survived with out his calming presence. You are a very lucky lady.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #67
DiveGal
Today's the day!

Lisa & Barry, thank God this had a good outcome.

As I read your post, I welled up, couldn't help but think of Nikki. This only enforces dragging the dive float and diving with a buddy for me. I carry my safety pack with me every dive. (yellow trash bags, signal mirror, cylums, space blanket, flashing signal lights) It makes my rig a little heavier, but I won't dive without it. I am positive that your experience as divers and what we've all learned and institutionalized into our diving and safety equipment due to recent occurrances was extremely instrumental in the positive outcome of this situation.

Thank you for sharing the experience.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #68
steveo

Lisa, I'm so relieved to hear the happy ending. I personally was lost in the same area and it seems VERY desolate. You did very well and we all have much to learn from your experience.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #69
Petra
Livin' the life!

Send a message via AIM to Petra

Thank you so much, Everyone, for your words of support! It's a wonderful feeling knowing that each of us has the strength and backing from this community of like-minded inviduals!

I'd like to take a moment and give a special THUMPS UP to Nailman! While I've received MANY PMs offering virtual hugs and pats on the back, Nailman went above and beyond.... Check it out!

"Sorry to hear about your adventure and glad everyone is safe. I just purchased a combination divealert /underwater quacker and now have a spare dive alert. Was going to keep as a backup but would feel better knowing it may help someone instead of in my bag as a spare. If you want it I will UPS it to you this week just send me a address I can ship it to."

Needless to say, so many of you (and my family!) have said: Lisa, you need a dive alert!!! ...so I've (as graciously as I could!) accepted Nailman's offer.

Thanks again, Sanders, for your generosity! It's greatly appreciated!!

--
Follow my adventures!
oceanloveher.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

Passionate. Unconventional. Independent.
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #70
kingfishr

Send a message via AIM to kingfishr

Glad you guys arer ok and thanks for sharing your story. After we lost Nikki (I never knew her but learned volumes from her) I put together a survival pak so to speak. I have a dive alert,
whistle,
2 lights,
a small raft (bright pink),
a safety sausage,
a small pelican case that holds my Find Me Spot, a mirror and line.

I seal the find me spot in a seal a meal bag due to my pelican case leaking a bit.

Hope I never need it and if I do that it will work. All that stuff either has its place on my BC or fits out of the way in a pocket.

If you haven't check out findmespot.com , for 100-150 bucks a year its cheap insurance. Much cheaper than a PLB and it has more uses.
kingfishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #71
anchorman
Gifted

Nice move Nailman!

I only have this to offer.........glad you guys are OK.

Sorry its not much but I am an e-jew ya know.
anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #72
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

I AM GLAD EVERYONE IS OK.....

Good things you guys have US Coast Guard with such impressive assets...Bravo !

Similiar to Spearmax, I carry an Icom M88 VHF in a torchlight housing for many years now. Got a close call many years ago and one only a month ago. permanent torchlight on stand by is also a must.

Really happy it was a fast rescue.....bless u all.

IYA
Old 05-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #73
mcbas
Bon vivant, raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbas View Post
Lisa:
Now that I have heard all sides of the story, I have come to the conclusion that you were very lucky to have been stranded with a man of Barry's strength of character, will and fortitude. You were lucky to have him at your side keeping you calm and sane. From the sound of it, you would not have survived with out his calming presence. You are a very lucky lady.
Lisa:
Are you gonna take the bait?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #74
branclark1
Time4DecoStop

following that i invested in a Dive-Alert. those little bitches will make you deaf. and save your skin.

Yeah, Dive-Alerts are a MUST!!!
branclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #75
dive4food

Thanks for sharing the story and glad everyone is ok.

Each time I read stuff like this it makes me mentally go through the way we approach our dives and what we would do if something went wrong. It also surprises me how many times it is the veteran divers that are getting into these situations. Here you have experienced divers and an experienced, active charter boat captain. This makes me realize that I need to keep on my toes and my mind in the game while we are out there.
dive4food is offline   Reply With Quote