Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Old 07-15-2003, 09:01 AM   #1
knobber

Upper TX Coast Hunting--What gun do you recommend?

Hi guys. I'm a new hunter who's been lurking while I finish up my open water certification. I took one fishing trip with a couple of spearfishers and I was hooked. Signed up for a scuba course the next day! Great board you have here with a lot of info. However, I'd like some recommendations on a gun specific to my size and hunting goals.

We'll be hunting 30-50 miles off Port Arthur, where I'm told we'll be shooting primarily Snapper, Ling, and Mackerel. I'm 6'2", 210, and an active weightlifter. I'm curious as to what length, how many bands, wood or aluminum, and what handle location you recommend. Or, if you think a specific model would best fit me, let me know. I appreciate any help!
knobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 11:47 AM   #2
joens

I am 6'4'' and 210 pounds I shoot a Spearfishing Specialties 52 " rhino with commercial muzzle .It takes 2 bands . I love it.

Last edited by joens; 07-17-2003 at 02:34 PM.
joens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:50 PM   #3
storms

I am south of you in Corpus Christi and spearfish out of Port Aransas. I have two Abbiller 48" teak guns. One has a power tip the other just regular rotating tip. I would stick with the wood gun for obvious reasons "Saltwater Kills". I've had a metal gun and you just have to take it apart and submerge it in fresh water everytime you come back in. As far as length I think you would be safe with something 48" to 52" like joens recommends. The fish get closer than you can imagine, sometimes you have to back up. On the abbiller they come with two 9/16" bands, I would upgrade to 2-5/8" bands. Try Leisurepro.com for the billers the 48" teak is 244.99. I think they have a mahogany for 192.99. Good luck and believe me you'll be hooked!!
storms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 05:11 AM   #4
f94gator

www.slinginsteel.com

Spearfishing Specialties. Can't beat it.
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 06:17 AM   #5
joens

Quote:
Originally posted by f94gator
www.slinginsteel.com

Spearfishing Specialties. Can't beat it.
www.tbdiving.com sells Spearfishing Specialties guns [and AB Biller ] he has some stuff in a dive shop somewhere north of San Antonio . but if you arent very close to there he will ship it to you.he also runs spearfishing trips out of Port Aransas.
Joens

Last edited by joens; 07-18-2003 at 06:19 AM.
joens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:31 AM   #6
knobber

thanks guys! this is just the help I needed. I'm certain I'll be hooked on this after reading this board
knobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:05 AM   #7
grumpydog

You may want to try the mares pneumatic. It is compact, easy to handle while diving around the rigs (a longer gun sometimes gets in the way), has lots of power, easy to load, and a fully charges gun is good for several trips. Check aquaventures in beaumont. And, no, I dont work there.
grumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote