Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

Easter Eggs or Halibut?

...There is a grunion run starting the 19th thru the 21st. Weather looks a little iffy but, the flatties are moving in currently and it might be worth a swim out thru 3 to 4'ers to take a shot at a well stuffed halibut ($32 a pound at gourmet grocers currently!).
...Good volume of yellowtail at San Clemente island spots. Watch Tempbreak for an unbroken warm water column (62-63 degrees) coming up our way that will provide a path for the bluefin to move up to the bait grounds....Early bluefin tend to be lean and not as tasty as the later arrivals who fatten up on bait after getting settled in... Confirmed: with photos of Bluefin catches down on the 302 just below the border....some up to 200 lbs....

A tip for the youngsters: from now thru June, dense fog can catch unwary divers chasing wsb and halibut.....I always take a small compass in a baggie on my float or kayak when venturing out into deeper water...if the kelp is down, finding your way in might be an exercise in swimming long and far, without a compass to guide you.....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 04-19-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
Olibaba

Re: Easter Eggs or Halibut?

Hi Bob - would you recommend looking for halibut along a beach where you know the grunion run (even if it has no structure or rocks)?

Or at a beach where the grunion don't run (...at least i've never seen them), but has some rock/sand action, and have seen halibut before?

Thanks!
Olibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:15 AM   #3
Bob Ballew

...Based on my theory, "Find the grocery store and you will find the gamefish", I suggest going for the grunion run as a priority. You only have short window to utilize the arrival of the grunion, whereas, you can hit the usual halibut haunts anytime....
..Also, the larger halibut will come in shallow to feed on grunion but, tend to stay out in deeper water at other times; making it more difficult to locate them....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 04-19-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
Ruso_Denis

How do you find where the grunion are running. I've seen it before but I feel like the location changes all the time.

Is it all about just doing your homework and checking all the potential beaches or is there a better way?
Ruso_Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
NaClAddict

The tide books published by Wilkins Action Graphics have them published. They are the ones with the numerical data, not the sine curve. Any LA Co lifeguard should have one you can have. You can message me your phone number or email and I’ll send you a copy. It’s too hard to post pics on here. The book doesn’t post runs in April and May as the season is closed. If you look at the published runs and what moon phase and tides the grunion runs correlate with you can figure out when they should run during the closed season.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #6
premo

https://www.californiabeaches.com/grunion-run-schedule/
premo is offline   Reply With Quote