Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

What's your 3 Cool Tips? aka "man, I could've done that"

With the Gat-Ku participants milling about, a lot of small talk was about "what do you do about...?" Which got me thinking about the silly gear tweaks and such, that may be based on total superstition, or may really work. Anyhoo, thought it'd be a neat thread to start for hints that people might find useful.

Here goes:

1. After hearing so many stories of lost polespear tips. Wrap the thread with some Teflon Plumbers Tape, and Heat the female end of the tip to be attached with a lighter. Screw together with wrenches while the tip base is hot, and it will contract super tight to the threaded end.

2. Keep an Extra Loop of Bungee, loosely knotted, wrapped on the butt of your gun if using a break-away. If your shooting bungee breaks or loses it's elasticity, you don't have to stop the session, just girth hitch the replacement on and you're good to go...the loose knot allows fine adjustment of the loop size.

3. Always keep an extra 1lb and 2lb weight to add, in the car/boat/gear tub/or whatever. It's worth it's weight in gold (almost) when switching over to shallow diving, say, for halis, bugs, etc.

I'm certain there's other "hint" threads too, but what the heck...it's raining here

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
TrigR Happy

Re: What's your 3 Cool Tips? aka "man, I could've done that"

leave the women at home
TrigR Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Ryfish constantly reminds me to put my gloves and mask in my fookpocket when we run from spot to spot to avoid looking all over the boats when the fish just SHOW UP!! (this has earned him the knickname DAD)

Always put your Knife away FIRST when you are not using it other wise it wont be there "under your armpit" where you stashed it while doing something else.

Always bring a R&R when out searching in the bluewater because sometimes the fish come and go so fast you may not even have a chance to get wet.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Aaron85

Dont use a $95 dollar knife to pry clams out off the reef cause it will break

make sure the batteries in your dive light are good before night diving(very scary)

they are called Surgeon fish for a reason
Aaron85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
yakfisher

Make a thorough checklist and use it every time before you leave the house.
yakfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Aaron85

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfisher View Post
Make a thorough checklist and use it every time before you leave the house.
Driving for an hour and realizing you forgot your gun and fins is why i do this, and also always check around your car before you leave, i watched my mask and snorkle fly away as i was driving.
Aaron85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
AndrewK

Always use a cheap knife... no sense killing yourself for a 20 dollar blade.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

tie a bungee around your knife and always put your hand through it before unsheathing it..you will never drop and lose a knife again.
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
gettin'wet
Glaucus guides my spear

For those early morning dives, put hot water in your wetsuit lube bottle right before you leave and then stash it inside the suit to keep it warm until you get to the beach. Warm lube is wayyy better than cold lube. This one came up recently on another post too.

The simple $1.35 rubber snorkel keeper is the best one ever designed. You will never loose a snorkel if you use these. All the others, it's just a matter of time.

I always take a Pepcid AC before I leave the house to dive. Turning yourself upside-down repeatedly is going to move some stomach acid to where it's not supposed to be regardless of what you're eating that morning. The Pepcid/Tums/Rolaids etc. helps me a bunch.

gettin'wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
XavierDeRoos
More Diving, Less Drama

Dive with a buddy...
XavierDeRoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

Try wrapping your fish in bacon. You wont regret it.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Swap out your smaller fish with your buddies large ones. Works great when abing also. Probably some stupid law against this but it makes for some fun times when the dive ends.

Knives are overrated until you need them.

If your buddy brings gear back-ups, don't bring your primary. Borrow their gear and you wont have to clean, mend, sharpen, or maintain it. This works great when your humping gear off a cliff as they carry it both ways.

Sneak your weight belt into the bottom of your buddies ab tube or game bucket.

Hang out at the beach with the hot chicks and let your buddies get all the game for the big weekend feast. You'll need to fake a flare up from an old football injury to keep them off your back.

Been diving for 31 years and I learn something new every dive, especially when diving with new people and new locale's. Look at your gear and how you dove from 5, 10, 15 years ago. If it's identical to what you have and do now your probably not improving much. And this may be perfectly fine for you.
Don't get carried away with the latest and greatest. Take what you have and use it to it's fullest, so when you do get new gear, you can quickly judge if its going to be an improvement.

I get a good laugh when I see divers in full camouflage regalia and they have a neon green mask, hood, or weight belt from the 80's. When you ask them why they don't have a new one they say it's their favorite lucky mask that fits perfect and they're never going to use anything else.
The funny thing is, when they have to buy a new mask, they find the new one is so far superior to the old one they kick themselves for using such a piece of crap mask for all those years. I've been guilty of this more then once.

Some of the above is just for fun and will only work with the best of friends. Spearfishing to me is about having a good time with great friends.