Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
renepotvin

Unhappy slip-tip auto destruct

So I was aiming for yellowtails. Since I had shot a 45 pounder recently, I used a slip tip on my 150 cm with 3 * 16 mm bands at 3.5 (very stiff considering the lenght).

The shaft was a 7.5mm and the slip tip was a Spear Master (so was the shaft, I love those).

As it happens, I shot a leopard grouper with it. It was the second large grouper I had taken with the slip tip in a week… that’s what happens when you use a slip tip, every fish is going to offer itself for slaughter so you can’t use it on pelagics… anyway.

I didn’t hit anything but the fish and the thing bent like butter. This thing is made from non heat treated metal it seems….

The ordeal with the grouper was not over… it swam through every coral holes it could find! And then I lost my gun! Fortunately Terri Lynn was there for the rescue! the video is quite a lesson on how complicated things can get jajaja.

Http://www.renepotvin.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/potvinr
Do subscribe, i'll subscribe back

Last edited by renepotvin; 03-03-2020 at 01:39 PM.
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: slip-tip auto destruct

The fish was worth the price of the "lost" equipment! Having shot clean through fish in the rocks I have destroyed a number of tips, it is disappointing, but at least I got the fish. Full power shots when I should have known better, but I could not help myself and the gun fired itself.

The slip tip looks to be a non-heat treated stainless steel, wrong color.

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-03-2020 at 04:32 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
SEATUX

Bottom line is;
Aii's well...
That Ends WELL!!!!

And..you got the fish!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #4
renepotvin

I didn't hit the reef. This version of the Spear Master (non heat treated) is not sold anymore. It bends like butter.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:14 AM   #5
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Yes, the SM sliptips are affordable but not sturdy. I have bent two. But I am not so sure they are not sold anylonger? SM does OEM for quite a few other brands... I think they are just made out of 316 which is not commonly heat treated.

A few years back, Salvimar actually made a nice, and affordable, one called the Big Blue. I am fairly sure it was out of heat treated 17-4PH, but then they changed it to one with a sharkfin on it. Honestly, the idea with a fin on the tip was not cool to me, but it may still be accurate, I am just not sure. The original was very accurate and had zero wobble on the adapter but needed a bit of modding if you wanted to use it with dyneema and the slide rings were too big. Still, if you could chase one of them down and get a smaller slide ring, I think they would be way stronger than the SM ones.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:13 PM   #6
renepotvin

It's a seller that told me the new SpearMaster sliptips were heat treated. They did that move to satisfy an american distributor according to my source

Old 03-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #7
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renepotvin View Post
It's a seller that told me the new SpearMaster sliptips were heat treated. They did that move to satisfy an american distributor according to my source

That would be nice. Besides the softness I like the them a lot. I don’t use their slide ring though as it’s still a bit big. I have my shafts necked down and have a custom slide ring that doesn’t stick out much at all.
They also make a slightly smaller one that I have used on my polespear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
Mikel_24

I don't use slip tips and I don't shot big fish... but I guess that the culprit of the whole mess was the center-of-mass shot...

I do it as well, as I am far from a sniper, but the truth is that I get by because my fish are small and not so combative. For big stuff people shot to kill (or at least stone).

Anyway, cool video and great fish!

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote