Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #2131
basstomouth
David

Re: Daily Vis report thread

Got in the Manasquan river yesterday, 8-10 feet on the incoming for a while, 5-8ft viz for the most part, a nice blue-green tinge. Didnt come out with anything but some decent bass just under the mark and plenty of tog
Old 10-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #2132
nilsonov

Brooklyn was the clearest I can remember it in years yesterday!
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:54 AM   #2133
Ric

I went on the Barnegat Light jetty yesterday Sunday at high tide. The viz was poor, maybe 3 ft. I don't get it because the pools of water that accumulate on the other side of the jetty at high tide showed clear water. The Bay water was also clear in some areas. So why was the water in the inlet so turbid, like milky white at 20 ft ?
To me it could be just silk and sand in suspension, after a strong disturbance. But what disturbance ?
It is true that il looked like the entire US navy was anchored at the mouth of the inlet for fishing, I never seen so many boats there, but small fishing boats, not capable of disturbing the bottom. So I don't know.

I just saw Togs zipping fast in front of my nose.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #2134
jersymudsniper

Milky white at 20 ft? I went by you yesterday. Its was black dark at 20ft and milky white at 10 lol
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #2135
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
Milky white at 20 ft? I went by you yesterday. Its was black dark at 20ft and milky white at 10 lol
Oh that was you. So it was bad viz all the way down, almost bump my head on the rocks at the bottom.
Always I expect better viz but...soon.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #2136
basstomouth
David

Any words of advice on diving post dental extraction? Had a back molar yanked and theres a hole there for a few weeks , didnt know if diving 20-30 ft would have an effect or cause possible dry socket. Thanks and hope to hear back
Old 11-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #2137
Ric

did somebody go in Barnegat inlet today Saturday, or if given a chance, can somebody have a look at the inlet and report ?

The weather marine reports a rough sea with 3-4ft waves today and same thing for tomorrow, in addition to rain. I'd like to know if the waves are that bad in the inlet. I don't mind the rain but 4 ft waves are too much. 2-3ft doable, although not much fun.

Thanks,
Ric
Old 11-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #2138
Ric

Bad viz yesterday at high tide in the inlet at Barnegat light. Fish must be there, judging from the entire navy fleet fishing in the mouth of the inlet, and the many reelers packed on the tip of the jetty. But they were impossible to see to me. Water was cold though, but milky white in shallow depth, dark green in depth. I went a few times in that dark depth but couldn't see better, basically I couldn't even see the tip of the spear.
I wonder how is the viz outside of the inlet.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #2139
Ric

Same bad viz again at high tide Barnegat Light jetty today Friday after Thanksgiving. I doubt it's gonna be cleared up for the Week end. I have a video of last Nov 2016 in perfectly clear water. What's going on ?
And tons of fish , most of the reellers are now packed near the tip of the jetty.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #2140
ImpalaSSpeed96
The Fluke Bridesmaid

I went the other day, it was like 2ft, by the rocks... Deep it was zero. We collectively saw two tog. How was the viz bad, but tons of fish? We're heading back down tomorrow...

I'll be making my way into the mess at the tip. That's where the biggest tog should be congregated. Won't hurt for a chance at a slob striper either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2017, 07:31 AM   #2141
Dmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
I went the other day, it was like 2ft, by the rocks... Deep it was zero. We collectively saw two tog. How was the viz bad, but tons of fish? We're heading back down tomorrow...

I'll be making my way into the mess at the tip. That's where the biggest tog should be congregated. Won't hurt for a chance at a slob striper either...

This is why you are clueless impala. Your intentionally going to make your way into a mess of fisherman on the tip. Real smart.... If they are there already stay further west up the rocks would be the common sense thing to do. Away from fisherman.... You are going to piss people off that were there first thus giving divers already even more of a bad wrap. Unless you Kno the guys fishing the tip and they are ok with you making a drift past them and they are ok casting outside of your gear you shouldn't just go past them and have the "screw you I'm coming by attitude...they will move and reel up for me.... Because that is what you are saying you are going to do correct?

Now if you get on the tip first light and noone is there and you do quick,short drifts . You have dibs. Your the first one to the spot. The tip. .But your saying your intentionally going into the mess on the tip. Id expect more from a guy who comes off on this site as soo knowledgeable to not pull a dick move like that.
Dmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #2142
ImpalaSSpeed96
The Fluke Bridesmaid

Daily Vis report thread

Duh duh duh, Dmill to the rescue with another helpful, insightful post!

First off, I talk to all the guys fishing before I jump in and let them know my intentions so we can work together. Hell, most of the fisherman that are regulars down there know me.

You literally know nothing about me and since you're so active in the community, you probably never will. So you're better off not making assumptions and always sounding like an asshat.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #2143
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
I'll be making my way into the mess at the tip. That's where the biggest tog should be congregated
The reelers are going to make sushis out of you...just kidding. I personally avoid crossing lines and so I try to stay about in the same spot. I let myself with the current for a dive, then come back. But it doesn't hurt to make a sign to the reelers if you have to cross a line, usually they understand and pull their line.
The biggest Tog I saw yesterday was on the jetty, it was maybe ~24 inches (edit : actually more like 18 inches ~45 cm), or something like that. Forgive my imperial unit suckiness.

I can dive in the low light green but honestly I cannot stay as I find it oppressive. There is nothing to see. If there was a fish at 3 feet from me I wouldn't see it. But I do it in hope of a Strip Bass...
Good luck to you.

Last edited by Ric; 11-25-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #2144
Ric

how is the water these days ? anybody got a chance to have a look ?
I'd like to go Sunday very early but if the water is still soup it's not worth it.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #2145
Ric

No great viz today in Barnegat inlet at high tide ~10-11AM, like 3-4 Ft maybe but improving towards noon to 5ft. No Reelers on the jetty and I didn't see anything alive or not at 5-10ft deep. Maybe the fish were in the deep pockets at 15ft-25? but I couldn't go there, because too cold.
Water was the coldest I ever did. Sorry I have no thermometer and I suck at imperial units anyways, but it was way colder than November.
You better not have a hole in your gloves or socks, as I did. Hands and Feet are were the cold bites me, the uncovered part of my face was OK. My open 5 mm suit was good too, it was really just the feet and hands.