Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #16
billder99
Good gone Wong

Re: Sit in vs Sit on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Before I became a diver I was an avid kayaker... when I started diving, I really wanted to make use of my sea kayak... I now use an OC Scupper Pro, which is about as close to sit in kayak feel and performance as I could find in a sit on top.
Hey Ron, I a spearfisherman who recently started kayaking solely as a mode of transport that is cheap and adds to the workout. Surprisingly, I have found I really enjoy paddling! I think I got a great dive yak, Cobra Tourer (15' x 28"), similar to Scupper Pro... adequate storage both on deck and below deck, and a reasonable performance paddler for longer distances.

I have been looking at more performance oriented boats, thinking about ways to make them work for paddling and diving. The one I really have my eye on is the Epic V7... rotomolded hull so tough and durable, only 45#, 17' x 21", really designed as a transition-ski. Take a look and let me know what you think... drawbacks? ideas on rigging for diving/spearfishing?

For rough water days the Cobra is ideal (added stability for entry/exit from water, gearing up/down, fish management, etc)... but on a calm water day the Epic V7 could be a hoot.

If you allow it to rule you,
fear is a hard master to uncrown.
Embrace the discomfort of wanting air,
it is only fear and weakness leaving your body.
My poem, by Me (partially stolen from SEAL Team)
billder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #17
cmburch
Blue Crab

Re: Sit in vs Sit on?

I have an old 14' Aquaterra Prism SOT about 23" beam no rudder. It has large front and rear hatches. I can get a 4' speargun (shaft off) into the hatch. I had a 60 lb flatcoated retriever that would curl up in front hatch (Hatch cover open so could get swamped) while kayaking.

Very easy to use freediving, tracks well. I installed knee brace straps which makes it much easier handling. It is very uncomfortable for me to kayak long distances wearing a wetsuit due to improper sitting angle of my back. So really need a good quality adjustable seat and seat back.

I think I really want a 15' SOT with large hatches and a better hull design, narrower beam for longer distances and larger carrying capacity.

I have used the Aquaterra Prism kayak camping Mono Lake. Also all around Monterey, Elkhorn Slough, Mendocino, Sonoma, San Pedro. Well all over California. So it lasts forever. I got it from Half Moon Bay Kayaks in the late 80's.

I have many kayaks. Mainly plywood/epoxy. It is not easy for me to get in and out of my 18' Chesapeake Kayak with fins and weight belt on. And even harder to stow my speargun.
cmburch is offline   Reply With Quote